Heads Gone - The Peppino Impastato Memorial Thread

1 minute ago, Aim Here said:

To give the mods a quieter life.

Every time the term is used, we get a whole pile of Rangers fans greeting about it and shitting up the entire board with this same discussion. Starring it out tends to defuse the sheer volume of this crap (though occasionally the debate perks up again, as per now).

I'm pretty sure that Div and/or the admin have piped up with a 'This term is disputed and we're not taking sides on whether it's a sectarian slur or not' type comment in the past.

the term is used literally every day on this forum lol

8 minutes ago, G51 said:

the term is used literally every day on this forum lol

That's not a problem for the mods. I suspect they're in agreement with the general opinion of Scottish football fans that the term '***' isn't sectarian, but is used in reference to Rangers fans universally by Scottish football fans (who are, note, mostly from a Protestant background, with the one exception of Celtic fans).

The problem for the mods is the debate to be had when Rangers fans reflexively take objection and rehearse one of the stale old sectarianism debates and it starts to eat into the whole board. That's a headache to police and turns people off if the thread on 'Great British Bake-Off' or something turns into a debate on the linguistic aspects of Irish ethnoreligious nationalism, because someone used the 'h' word in passing.

The current policy of starring it out seems to tone down the volume of these sorts of arguments.

Edited by Aim Here

5 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Didn't Rangers fans used to call Celtic fans **** (the 'h' word) back in the day?

ALL opposition fans were h*** when I first started going.

That's not a problem for the mods. I suspect they're in agreement with the general opinion of Scottish football fans that the term '***' isn't sectarian, but is used in reference to Rangers fans universally by Scottish football fans (who are, note, mostly from a Protestant background).

The problem for the mods is the debate to be had when Rangers fans reflexively take objection and rehearse one of the stale old sectarianism debates and it starts to eat into the whole board. The current policy of starring it out seems to tone down the volume of these sorts of arguments.

Sure, but “we’re Scottish football fans and we’re only using it to describe fans of the club we hate” doesn’t really wash when the term is sectarian in Northern Ireland. Same way it didn’t with f****n, t**g, o****e b*****d or t*****r.

Just now, G51 said:

Sure, but “we’re Scottish football fans and we’re only using it to describe fans of the club we hate” doesn’t really wash when the term is sectarian in Northern Ireland. Same way it didn’t with f****n, t**g, o****e b*****d or t*****r.

Different places use words differently. In Dundee 'Dirty Arab b*****d' is a footballing insult whereas it's an ethnic insult in Tel Aviv.

I've never heard people use the term '***' the way it's supposedly used in Northern Ireland. Maybe you Rangers fans come across Northern Irish bigots every fortnight at Ibrox but my contact with the way words are used as ethnic slurs on the island of Ireland is sorely limited. I do, however, recall Rangers fans having no problems with the term as a self-description circa 2000 or so, and the historical use of the term to describe non-Rangers fans (from where it likely arose) is very well documented.

My guess as to what may have happened is that the term migrated from Scotland TO Northern Ireland in the footballing sense, and then widened to become and anti-Protestant slur, given the wierd way that there are multiple generations in Scotland who are surprised by the alleged sectarian aspect of the word.

Different places use words differently. In Dundee 'Dirty Arab b*****d' is a footballing insult whereas it's an ethnic insult in Tel Aviv.

I've never heard people use the term '***' the way it's supposedly used in Northern Ireland. Maybe you Rangers fans come across Northern Irish bigots every fortnight at Ibrox but my contact with the way words are used as ethnic slurs on the island of Ireland is sorely limited. I do, however, recall Rangers fans having no problems with the term as a self-description circa 2000 or so, and the historical use of the term to describe non-Rangers fans (from where it likely arose) is very well documented.

My guess as to what may have happened is that the term migrated from Scotland TO Northern Ireland in the footballing sense, and then widened to become and anti-Protestant slur, given the wierd way that there are multiple generations in Scotland who are surprised by the alleged sectarian aspect of the word.

ignorance is no excuse for bigotry

1 hour ago, scottsdad said:

On Stormzy, it's like waiting for the new Doctor Who. When will he be back? Under what name? What changes will there be?

The Albus version wasn't too bad I thought. 

It wasn't. Although I found his Tim Westwood esque mumble rap aficionado persona was the most fun to get into it with.

1 minute ago, G51 said:

ignorance is no excuse for bigotry

It's not bigotry to insult Rangers fans; the fact that some arseholes a couple of hundred miles away have co-opted a word and changed it's meaning doesn't retroactively change the intent of the original words, any more than Rangers are anti-Protestant bigots for using the term themselves before everyone else used it against them, does it?

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/07/2022 at 11:05, Aim Here said:

It's not bigotry to insult Rangers fans; the fact that some arseholes a couple of hundred miles away have co-opted a word and changed it's meaning doesn't retroactively change the intent of the original words, any more than Rangers are anti-Protestant bigots for using the term themselves before everyone else used it against them, does it?

I missed this post.  What exactly was @Aim Hereangry about?

18 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

I missed this post.  What exactly was @Aim Hereangry about?

I know you've read the surrounding thread and have worked the answer to your question out for yourself, and that you're really in bigoted shit-stirrer mode right now, but I'll pretend to give you the benefit of the (nonexistent) doubt, and make out that this is an honest query and answer thus:

The mods temporarily locked the thread after I posted that because the thread was being soiled by a revival of that tedious old argument about the word '***'.  Clearly they don't want this thread to be used for that sort of thing, so for everyone's sake, I recommend that you drop the subject right now.

Edited by Aim Here

30 minutes ago, Aim Here said:

I know you've read the surrounding thread

If I had I'd not have asked the Q.  But thanks for an honest reply.

I've  said this before - you're a decent bloke.  Now and then you try and defend the indefensible.

I know that 'the H bomb' is dropped on here now and then.  Almost always by boors and neds.  You're different from them.  Try and live up to it.

Edited by The_Kincardine

4 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

Add me to this fucking thread. The wife isn’t going to see her old man this week after all. I’m fucking livid.

Ha!

I have had this in relation to next weekend when the missus was meant to be going away on a Hen do (shudder) for one of her old school pals.

Away to some spa thing for the weekend, leaving me with my choice of fitba and the hoose to myself upon my return after a few pints in the evening, then Sunday in the garden to myself.

Turns out there's been trouble in paradise, so the wedding's off, so the Hen do got cancelled, along with my weekend-long empty.

I am fucking devastated and furious at whichever one of those two p***ks fucked up their engagement.