Heads Gone - The Peppino Impastato Memorial Thread

8 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

Hmmm.

I'm not seeing the equivalence here that you're suggesting.

I don't know the context the remark arose in, but on the face of it, "tartan gonks" strikes me as an  effective use of imagery.

Albus was alright, he obviously just got a bit bored and started trying to rifle into folk.

Some CV update he's got now though "Banned from illustrious online football forum for relentless trolling of hay fever sufferers".

Long may your candle burn, brother.

Edited by Mr. Alli

7 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

At the same time minimising or condoning of rape seemed to be legitimate and accepatble points of view in the marketplace of ideas at the time as is transphobia currently.

Pinning down the meaning of transphobia and then taking 'consistent' moderating action would work out even more badly than letting NilByMouth arbitrarily choose what is and isn't sectarian language (tit for tat Old Firm fans - nominate anything you don't like to hear and it goes in!). 

That doesn't mean that some objective transphobia does not exist, but you'd be opening up an enormous can of worms by demanding consistency based on the current state of that debate. 

Edited by vikingTON

7 hours ago, BFTD said:

Could be wrong, but I got the impression that just went up because the mods got sick of people whining to them. A better sticky would've been, "abandon hope all ye who enter, for thou shalt receive thy just rewards".

Funny, you'd think the NSFW subforum would be where the controversial action would be at.

Probably and that's fair.

They should just ban vexatious litigants.

11 hours ago, Cosmic Joe said:

Why not ask the mods? Perhaps he was on a last warning for being a bigoted p***k? 

Stranger things have happened with watery runs. 

This post is very funny to me.

People love to cry about sectarianism and then use rhyming slang for a bigoted slur. It’s great when you see it in the same post.

Its even funnier that the mods allow it.

People love to cry about sectarianism and then use rhyming slang for a bigoted slur. It’s great when you see it in the same post.
Except said terms has never been bigoted or sectarian, despite your shrieking insistence that it is

32 minutes ago, virginton said:

Pinning down the meaning of transphobia and then taking 'consistent' moderating action would work out even more badly than letting NilByMouth arbitrarily choose what is and isn't sectarian language (tit for tat Old Firm fans - nominate anything you don't like to hear and it goes in!). 

That doesn't mean that some objective transphobia does not exist, but you'd be opening up an enormous can of worms by demanding consistency based on the current state of that debate. 

Maybe. I think I just found it incongruous that name calling seemed to be the line in the sand. 

Just now, Bairnardo said:
2 minutes ago, G51 said:

Except said terms has never been bigoted or sectarian, despite your shrieking insistence that it is

It’s a derogatory term for a Protestant and is equivalent to calling a Catholic a t**g. 

Please don’t question the victims. They are the people who get to decide what’s offensive, not the bigots. 

Personally I don’t really care and think the whole thing is a tedious race to the bottom between two sects of society that don’t actually suffer from discrimination, but I’d like to exploit this opportunity to get posters banned that I don’t like. Failing that, I’d like to be able to call wee @Jinky67 a Shettleston and get away with it.

8 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

At the same time minimising or condoning of rape seemed to be legitimate and accepatble points of view in the marketplace of ideas at the time as is transphobia currently.

Along with the regularly ignored racial slurs against the Travelling community.

There is even a user with the name 'Mr Pikey'.

11 hours ago, Day of the Lords said:

He's an infinitely better poster than our resident jake who is a never-ending source of spiteful cliches, general self loathing and complete and utter hatred of the fact that he's scottish. Totally weird. 

What have I done now?

54 minutes ago, G51 said:

It’s a derogatory term for a Protestant and is equivalent to calling a Catholic a t**g. 

Please don’t question the victims. They are the people who get to decide what’s offensive, not the bigots. 

Personally I don’t really care and think the whole thing is a tedious race to the bottom between two sects of society that don’t actually suffer from discrimination, but I’d like to exploit this opportunity to get posters banned that I don’t like. Failing that, I’d like to be able to call wee @Jinky67 a Shettleston and get away with it.

*** was never used as a collective name for Protestants, it is exclusive to Rangers supporters. 

8 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

What have I done now?

*** was never used as a collective name for Protestants, it is exclusive to Rangers supporters. 

how come it’s censored then

Hate to break it to you mate, but Div isn't actually any sort of authority on these subjects. He is simply running his site as he sees fit, to try and keep something of a lid on the utterly relentless whining and tit for tat shite going his way from arse cheek fans.

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Hate to break it to you mate, but Div isn't actually any sort of authority on these subjects. He is simply running his site as he sees fit, to try and keep something of a lid on the utterly relentless whining and tit for tat shite going his way from arse cheek fans.

yeah it’s weird because nobody ever seems to be bothered about keeping a lid on your utterly relentless whining and tit for tat shite

8 minutes ago, G51 said:

To give the mods a quieter life.

Every time the term is used, we get a whole pile of Rangers fans greeting about it and shitting up the entire board with this same discussion. Starring it out tends to defuse the sheer volume of this crap (though occasionally the debate perks up again, as per now).

I'm pretty sure that Div and/or the admin have piped up with a 'This term is disputed and we're not taking sides on whether it's a sectarian slur or not' type comment in the past.

Edited by Aim Here

5 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Maybe he should be though.

( @Div I haven't charged you for this endorsement)