Heads Gone - The Peppino Impastato Memorial Thread

41 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

Off topic but related to the current discussion- it’s funny how Mike Tyson has just been totally accepted back into society. He’s now looked at as a bit of a cute comedy type.

To a lesser extent but always thought the same about Ryan giggs after his long term affair with his brothers mrs. Think he’s run out of lives now though. 

19 minutes ago, BFTD said:

As I recall, there were an awful lot of people at the time who decided the woman he raped was a gold digger who should never have gone back to Tyson's hotel room if she didn't want to be raped. 

It’s not the majority but a fair number of people making similar comments on the Benjamin Mendy allegations.

3 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

To a lesser extent but always thought the same about Ryan giggs after his long term affair with his brothers mrs. Think he’s run out of lives now though. 

Appreciate you’ve said lesser extent but it’s not even close to the same thing.

Possibly the Giggs domestic abuse case you could term as a lesser extent but not an affair.

1 minute ago, Sortmeout said:

Appreciate you’ve said lesser extent but it’s not even close to the same thing.

Possibly the Giggs domestic abuse case you could term as a lesser extent but not an affair.

I wasn’t trying to compare the two. 

Just your point about Tyson being accepted back reminded me of giggs. I just remember him being a guest at Wimbledon and getting a standing ovation not long after it all. 

Anyway, not in anyway trying to say it’s close, just that there’s a fundamental point that an individual can reach a certain hero status in the eyes of fanboys that it takes a lot to turn them against them. 

See also Michael Jackson and probably even R Kelly has some psycho fans still. 

2 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Just your point about Tyson being accepted back reminded me of giggs. I just remember him being a guest at Wimbledon and getting a standing ovation not long after it all. 

Anyway, not in anyway trying to say it’s close, just that there’s a fundamental point that an individual can reach a certain hero status in the eyes of fanboys that it takes a lot to turn them against them. 

Yet poor old Gary Glitter...

3 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

There was a comedian did a routine (I thought it might be Kevin Bridges, but I've never found it again in his stuff) about how famous you needed to be before certain things were just routinely ignored

58 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

Off topic but related to the current discussion- it’s funny how Mike Tyson has just been totally accepted back into society. He’s now looked at as a bit of a cute comedy type.

The Hangover films are probably the best showing of this. They changed their mind on Mel Gibson having a role in the second film but were quite happy to have Mike Tyson 

Edited by Bert Raccoon

7 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

It’s not the majority but a fair number of people making similar comments on the Benjamin Mendy allegations.

Yeah, there's an odd grouping of people who are quick to stan for rich and attractive men once they're accused of rape.

The general implication you can infer is that they have no need to rape anyone because of their money and looks. As if top shaggers have been proven never to commit acts of sexual abuse.

Chris Brown is another one. Everyone knows he’s a wife beating scumbag yet people still listen to his music

It's possible to separate the art from the artist. Plenty of books, films and music I enjoy have been created in whole or part by scumbags. Even Paul the Apostle was a bit of a dick before turning his life around, yet a book he wrote big chunks of is the most popular of all time.

Mark Wahlberg and Dr. Dre can be added to the list of very nasty people the public have forgiven.

For me one of the craziest cases of a celebrity getting away with it is the film director Roman Polanski (sp?) who is guilty and wanted for either rape or some sexual abuse against a young teenage girl. Not sure if the guy is still alive but I know through the 80s and 90s he was still making movies but just never went back to the States.

In a similarly strange one what about Woody Allen and his relationship with his step daughter.

2 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

For me one of the craziest cases of a celebrity getting away with it is the film director Roman Polanski (sp?) who is guilty and wanted for either rape or some sexual abuse against a young teenage girl. Not sure if the guy is still alive but I know through the 80s and 90s he was still making movies but just never went back to the States.

In a similarly strange one what about Woody Allen and his relationship with his step daughter.

He is still alive, he was a reserve for my deadpool team

2 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

It's possible to separate the art from the artist. Plenty of books, films and music I enjoy have been created in whole or part by scumbags. Even Paul the Apostle was a bit of a dick before turning his life around, yet a book he wrote big chunks of is the most popular of all time.

Mark Wahlberg and Dr. Dre can be added to the list of very nasty people the public have forgiven.

Paul the apostle was JRR Tolkien?  I never knew that.

6 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

"Technacly a Polanski"

Edited by HeWhoWalksBehindTheRows

There was a documentary on a few months back about abuse in the music industry. Numerous artists were covered - Steven Tyler from Aerosmith had a relationship with a 15 year old girl and registered as her guardian (effectively an adoptive parent) so he could take her on tour and across US state lines without being prosecuted. His bands lawyers went along with it and drafted up the agreement. Numerous producers, roadies, executives etc clearly knew he was having illegal sex with an underage girl and did nothing about it. 

Axl Rose from Guns n Roses was also covered, he would commit sexual assaults on models and other women who were put in his company during the bands heyday.

The all female band in the 70s, I think they were the Runaways, suffered sexual abuse by their management, including several members being raped in front of roadies and other people involved with the band.

11 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

Boyd Tunnock is mine.

23 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

There was a documentary on a few months back about abuse in the music industry. Numerous artists were covered - Steven Tyler from Aerosmith had a relationship with a 15 year old girl and registered as her guardian (effectively an adoptive parent) so he could take her on tour and across US state lines without being prosecuted. His bands lawyers went along with it and drafted up the agreement. Numerous producers, roadies, executives etc clearly knew he was having illegal sex with an underage girl and did nothing about it. 

Axl Rose from Guns n Roses was also covered, he would commit sexual assaults on models and other women who were put in his company during the bands heyday.

The all female band in the 70s, I think they were the Runaways, suffered sexual abuse by their management, including several members being raped in front of roadies and other people involved with the band.

There was a case in Falkirk some years ago, where a guy, who ran an amusement arcade was done for having sex, on several occasions, with two 15 year old girls. He admitted he gave the girls cash to play the machines, games, etc, in exchange for sex. He explained to the court that he was merely helping the girls in feeding their addiction, while they were helping him feed his. There was laughter in the court at that point,  but the judge didn't see the funny side and sent him down for 5 years.

11 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

It's possible to separate the art from the artist. 

Absolutely true. Louis-Ferdinand Celine had abhorrent views on Jews but that doesn’t make his first two novels any less magnificent as works of art. Woody Allen’s Manhattan another case in point.