Queens v Raith

4 points picked up from the last 15 available.
That brilliant middle third of the season is starting to look like an island.

If 9th place remains possible when we visit Ayr, I'll be officially very worried again.

Harsh on your lads, the first 1/3 was a disaster, the 2/3 was heroic. Everyone had you relegated including yourself before Christmas. You’re still in with a shout of promotion playoffs with 3 games to play and tonight you lost by a goal against the team in 2nd. There’s no chance you’re going down, take the positives from your turnaround.

Quite a few on here are quick to criticise Davo but slow to give him credit if at all but thought he was excellent especially 2nd half

Had a good game but was caught out first half by an excellent ball from Queens that they should have buried but he got away with it. Overall I thought he had a very good game tonight.

28 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

I take exception to you describing our playing surface as "relatively poor". Let's ' be honest,   it's not relative to anything,  it's a one off,   fucking shite surface that in no way gives us any advantage. 

Oh,  and we'll done on tonight's win,  good luck in the play-offs. 

ps: Are you related to Queens poster Northfield?  He has a phobia about using punctuation also. 

I was purely trying to answer another rover fans question on the reasoning why Vaughan wasn’t playing tonight considering he’s had 3 ACL operations in the last three seasons and I correctly stated it was probably because tonight and Saturdays game aren’t on great surfaces .

P.S Forget about my English lesson tonight think you have bigger issues tonight with your clueless manager

Guest Flash
16 minutes ago, San Starko Rover said:

Harsh on your lads, the first 1/3 was a disaster, the 2/3 was heroic. Everyone had you relegated including yourself before Christmas. You’re still in with a shout of promotion playoffs with 3 games to play and tonight you lost by a goal against the team in 2nd. There’s no chance you’re going down, take the positives from your turnaround.

We lost to the team in second that was playing a weakened team. There’s not ‘no chance’ we’re going down. It might be a small chance, but it isn’t none. If we take no points from the remaining three games, avoiding 9th will be touch and go. It would also mean 4 points from first third, 20 points from second third and 7 points from the final third. Meaning the middle part was the exception as MT said. It might not happen but it could. 
The danger is the players see the top 4 has gone and can’t get motivated, thinking they’re already safe. Before they know where they are, they could be going into the final game needing something to avoid 9th. As MT said, if we go into the Ayr game still with the possibility of finishing 9th, it will be a very worrying time.

1 minute ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Didn't watch the match but after seeing the line up I wasn't hopeful. 

That really is a fantastic result and almost seals a play off spot. 

What a season this has been so far. 

Aye that's a cracking result for Raith tonight. Obileye chance early 2nd half was a huge moment.

Good luck to Raith in the play offs. Sadly it doesn't look like we'll make top 4. Still possible but can't see it.

We could still finish 9th but I think we'll be fine. 

1 minute ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Aye that's a cracking result for Raith tonight. Obileye chance early 2nd half was a huge moment.

Good luck to Raith in the play offs. Sadly it doesn't look like we'll make top 4. Still possible but can't see it.

We could still finish 9th but I think we'll be fine. 

Big game against the Pars this weekend in that respect. A win there and Dundee beat ICT and its game on again. 

I'm sure you'll be fine also, but up until our 5-1 derby win a couple of weeks ago I was still paranoid about the gap to 2nd bottom so know how easy it is to look down rather than up. 

It's a crazy league. 

10 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Shout out to the QotS TV commentary. It really shone through how much time and effort you guys put in to making sure the opposition are well scouted. They were quick to take things back if they'd made an error (Davo's tackle on Mebude) and weren't biased. 

Yeah. I didn't take the stream tonight but the first match at Palmerston was the most enjoyable commentary at any away match I've watched  so not surprised to read this. 

30 minutes ago, San Starko Rover said:

The turnaround is receding a bit as a memory though.  We're currently engaged in a new downturn that might land us in real trouble if we don't arrest it.

I still think the likelihood Is we'll stall in mid table.  It's not guaranteed though.

We probably wouldn't have won had Dobbie played but nevertheless we went down to Dumfries without four of our best players and managed to win. That's the midweek games over so hopefully the crocked  players will recover and we can play our full strength side for the last three games.

Main highlight tonight is Gozie's performance, King also had a good game but tapered off in the latter stages.

If I didn't already know that Bene has a family I would swear he was a castrato, he must have set of half the dogs in D&G tonight.

Late in the second half there was an incident in the box and Davo was about to square up to the referee when it looked like a circuit breaker tripped in his head as he completely backed down, shows he can reign it in when he wants.

10 hours ago, Rovers_Lad said:

Quite a few on here are quick to criticise Davo but slow to give him credit if at all but thought he was excellent especially 2nd half

Agree with this. For anyone at 37 year old to come in for only their second full game in 5 weeks in a massive game and produce a performance as solid as that deserves immense credit. He was excellent.

However, if you add in the fact he is at the centre of what has become a big story in Scottish football (back page of one of the papers today, lead story on BBC’s Scottish Football section) which escalated yesterday before the game and I read someone say he has his hearing on Thursday which means he went into last night not knowing if it was the last game of his career (I am assuming he plans to retire at the end of the season regardless of the outcome) I think that shows incredible character, fair play to the guy.

“Scabby, dogged, backs to the wall” and “vintage McGlynn” all used to describe a hard fought win.

Hard to begrudge Queens a point for their 2nd 45 but as the commentary team said it was a reversal of the game at SP when we tore at them in the second half but couldn’t score, the only thing missing was a 2nd break away goal for us.

Great defending by Bene, Mus and RT. But barring a couple of misjudged headers in the 1st half this was a tremendous display by Davo, his reading of the game and positioning is pretty much spot on. Time and again he was right where we needed him and if not then he was throwing himself into the path and clearing out, this was exactly what the defence was missing on Saturday and why we shipped 2 goals.

Gozie took his chance well and Adam King had his best game with a solid showing. Hendry ran his sock off leaving nothing on the park as his tweet “anyone got spare legs?” showed, his celebration at ft shows what it means to him...to all of them.

A result borne out without the talents of Macca, Rosco, Hammer and Lewie, the latter I believe left out as a precaution after feeling some tightness.  Hopefully  🙏 all those guys are being rested rather than risked to get them 100% for the final push.

Gives us a good amount of breathing space for the main aim, finishing in the top 4, and gives us a wee edge with regards to finishing 2nd. 

First half I thought was perfectly executed and similar to Saturday.  We got a goal, didn't do a massive amount else, but kept the ball really well and didn't give a great deal away to Queens.

2nd half was also similar to Saturday, in that Queens changed their shape a bit and we struggled to get on the ball.  Would be hard to grudge Queens a draw after their possession and chances in the 2nd half, but just a bit of lack of quality in that final third.  We defended very, very well also - both as a defence and as a team.  

I guess Queens could have made changes earlier, but I understand why they didn't necessarily go gung ho for extended period of time - we had enough pace to catch them on the break.

The much maligned (by myself) Ugwu and Davidson were both excellent.  Ugwu gave us exactly what we needed last night, and exactly what we missed on Saturday - energy and a presence up front which helped stretch the play out to their end of the park at vital times.  Davidson was an absolute rock, alongside Benedictus. 

Queens will be fine.  Look a better side then any of the other relegation contenders.

Last night was like the old Mcglynn, where hard work, grit, determination and organisation won the game.  We haven't done that enough this season (Saturday being one prime example), but you could argue that when it mattered most, last night, we delivered.  

With the teams below us playing each other, you would have to say that we are almost there with regards to Top 4.  Some effort.