The Almighty Hibernian FC’s European Tour 2021/22

Les Cabbage

8 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

Hard luck tonight lads. Rijeka are no mugs.

6 hours ago, kingjoey said:

No shame in going out to Rijeka, and if it hadn’t been for the red card, who knows how it would have gone.

Translated as ‘we’re all relieved you didn’t pump them and embarrass us’ 😉

The "quality not quantity"  approach that did for us with having a thin squad in some areas last season coming back to bite us in the arse. Really disappointing that there seems to be money around but we have almost no cover in some areas. These aren't signings that should be dependant on the likes of Porteous or Nisbet leaving, these were players we already needed.

No striker to replace Doidge on the bench, noone creative to replace Allan on the bench, relying on McGregor to last 90 minutes. As soon as he got booked early I thought we might be humped.

10 hours ago, FortescueFotheringhamSmyth said:

Scottish "provincials" (in Recordspeak😡) haven't beaten anyone from a significantly higher level for a very long time. 

So you don’t count Aberdeen putting out Groningen and Rijeka, with both ties won in the away legs, as beating teams from a significantly higher level?

13 hours ago, FortescueFotheringhamSmyth said:

Scottish "provincials" (in Recordspeak😡) haven't beaten anyone from a significantly higher level for a very long time. 

12 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

Shite.  

St Johnstone beat champions league regulars Rosenberg in 2013, and Lucern with twenty times their budget the season after.

5 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

And yet St Johnstone are regulars at getting papped out by part time Eastern European farmers.

Try to follow the conversation you dribbling simpleton.

2 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Try to follow the conversation you dribbling simpleton.

Aye... There are a few anomalies. 

However - in terms of on-field playing strength at the time, budget, history & size of club, etc - the two Sheep wins were unexpected, but hardly on a par with some of the losses.

The two Saintees wins were more praiseworthy. However, they were hardly Partick v Celtic in the 1971 League Cup Final. The bookies' odds wern't on a par with those offered for Niederkorn v Rangers. 

Larne were about 10/1 for the home leg & 16/1 for the away leg against Aarhus last month. 

TNS conceded twice in the last 6 minutes before losing on pens to Viktoria Plzen yesterday. TNS relinquished their Welsh title to Morrison's hammerthrowers. They were 8/1 for the 1st leg and led 4-0 (Maybe that was the '71 League Cup Final) before losing two late goals. TNS were 18/1 last night, but again led for a fair while. Plzen are undoubtedly on a downward trajectory, but they are ranked #47 in UEFA's club coefficient list. Celtic are #46. Rangers are #52. Scottish sides don't seem to come close to that level of bridging gaps.

Let me put this another way... and I have no figures to back this up🙄...

Budget is the most reliable method of predicting a club's performance. There is an almost infinite amount of evidence to confirm that.

In terms of results v. clubs with greatly inferior or superior budgets, I'd guess England would comfortably be bottom of any table of achievement. Even the 6th/7th placed side in the EPL will be almost certain to have a budget much larger than any opponent coming out of a hat in a qualifying round draw. I doubt there are 30 clubs on the continent with a bigger budget than Crystal Palace. So EPL sides almost never face clubs with more money than they have. I'd guess Spanish sides would come out well in that table, with Spanish clubs in the Europa League usually having smaller budgets than the teams they beat on their way to winning the trophy.

Scotland? Scottish clubs have to be very close to the bottom. For all Rangers decent form of late, and Celtic's forays to the CL knockout stage, almost all of the defeats have been against opponents with much smaller budgets and wins against clubs with larger budgets have been rare. Tony Watt likely still dines out on his winner v. Barclays, and rightly so. 

Clearly budget isn't everything. I'd guess it's quite difficult to dodge tax in Holland, while there are plenty of countries were a salary can become "netto" pretty quickly, provided a club has the right connections (or have accountants who know their stuff better than those utilised by Rangers in the Noughties.🤣) Cost of living is also a factor. It's quite high in Scotland, so a player offered similar money at, say, Hibs or Boavista, might well opt for Portugal - even if he's not fussy about the weather. A player offered identical deals by a Swiss club and Sheriff Tiraspol might have to think hard. He'll have a nice house and car in Moldova, so perhaps he won't mind living in a museum dedicated to Stalinist Russia, when the alternative is living in a country where a coffee and a croissant cost more than a three course meal with wine will set him back in Tiraspol...

... but budget is the best indicator of likely success or failure.

I'd guess the number of times Scots have been papped out by opponents with 50% ot their budget is high. I'd guess the number of eliminations by clubs with 25% or less of the Scottish side's budget is embarrassing. Rosenborg may have had a budget 4 times the size of St.Johnstone's, as might Luzern. We are talking about probably the two countries with the highest cost of living in Europe though. I doubt Groningen's budget was much bigger than the Sheep's.

Provide as many isolated anomalies as you wish but, overall, I can't see any objective measure by which Scottish clubs can be said to be punching their weight.

Edited by FortescueFotheringhamSmyth
typo

1 hour ago, Sauzee#4 said:

Did you avoid watching the cup final? 😂

I genuinely think McGinn managed to be worse last night. The boy he was up against went by him time and again, failed to get near enough to stop the first goal then scored an own goal himself. Utterly horrific performance. 

16 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

Shite.  

St Johnstone beat Lucern with twenty times their budget the season after.

Slow at work... 

So I idly checked Lucerne's Euro pedigree. Prior to the St.Johnstone tie, they'd won 2 European ties: 1st Round early 90s wins v. MTK Budapest and Levski Sofia. In five European campaigns since, they've bested Faroese minnows Klaksvik (1-0 / 1-0) and lost every other tie. Have had some bad draws, mind. Three wins in 60 years of trying. 

I'm not checking to see how many of their players were on £20k or £30k per week, compared to the Perth lads on £1,000 or £1,500.

17 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

St Johnstone beat champions league regulars Rosenberg in 2013

Again, a notable win...

...However... Rosenborg had a couple of "dip" seasons where they didn't win the league. This was one of them. The following season they lost at home to Sligo Rovers, but won 3-1 in Sligo to go through to a tie v. the famed Karabukspor, which they lost on away goals.

Edited by FortescueFotheringhamSmyth

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/08/2021 at 13:10, Lyle Lanley said:

Good to see those arrogant c***s knocked out tonight. 89EA13E1-7E43-4A05-8E9C-704311E059A3.png.31c04aad8b7fb47a802a742a4d38a345.png