More Shenanigans From Our Imperial Masters @SPFL

1 suppose if this seasons split works, you could maybe do something similar in a 16 team league - split after 30 games into 2 groups and play a further 7 games for champions and playoff/relegation/playoff There will obviously be an uneven number of home and away games, but if the schedule can be made to gI’ve the top 4 the extra home game, that should be acceptable 

46 minutes ago, jagsfan57 said:

1 suppose if this seasons split works, you could maybe do something similar in a 16 team league - split after 30 games into 2 groups and play a further 7 games for champions and playoff/relegation/playoff There will obviously be an uneven number of home and away games, but if the schedule can be made to gI’ve the top 4 the extra home game, that should be acceptable 

That's what I'd like to see. If the top league wants to keep 12, I'd go 16-16 behind it and bring in one HL and one LL into the third tier. Two up, two down and play-offs between Championship and League One. Automatic relegation from the bottom of new League One and possibly a relegation play-off spot as well.

Belgium have done something more complicated for their 16 but the basic premise would work for this where the middle gets seeded and split in two. 
Group A: 5th, 7th, 9th, 11th. Group B: 6th, 8th, 10th, 12th. 
Group A winner v Group B winner play-off for a Euro spot or go onto face lowest Championship group team in a Euro spot. 

It’s probably reasonable as an idea, but would be greeted with criticism from our media due to being far too complex for their simple minds to understand.
Remember the outcry re the split?
“But, but the team in 7th could end up with more points than the team in 6th, it’s no fair......”

Let's be straight here. Top flight clubs will never ever ever vote for reconstruction if it means any less home games against the bigot brothers so the whole argument is pointless.

They won’t vote for any reconstruction that changes their share of the pot or reduces the number of games vs Rangers and Celtic. So the idea of 16-16 below the top tier won’t affect them at all. It’s the championship clubs that will be the stumbling block

Play every team home and away then end the season with Jeux Sans Frontières at Hampden. First one up the greasy pole in an inflatable costume and clown shoes is the champion. Time penalties based on league position.

No 'meaningless games'. Excitement for all right to the very end. For added excitement the team that finishes in, say, seventh goes straight into the Champions League group stages.

5 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Belgium have done something more complicated for their 16 but the basic premise would work for this where the middle gets seeded and split in two. 

Group A winner v Group B winner play-off for a Euro spot or go onto face lowest Championship group team in a Euro spot. 

That sounds fucking mental.

20 hours ago, roman_bairn said:

2012 and even then proposals included a debate on including old firm second elevens...

I was surprised by that. Seems like restructuring is doomed for that reason.

I was also persuaded by Longmuir's enthusiasm for the proposal, although It's not like we're short of excitement the way the league's structured at the moment.

(For an armchair person like me anyway, who pores over league tables and doesn't see much of the actual football.)

6 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

I was confused by your reference to a Championship group. Then realised you meant the group consisting of the Premiership top 4, with 4th going into play offs with the winners of Group A and/or Group B.

I like it, but I'd maybe tweak the groups so that 5th, 8th, 9th, 12th were together, and 6th, 7th, 10th, 11th were together. 

Edit - see Gordon Smith's Pyramid for another take on 16 team divisions...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sundaypost.com/inside-the-sunday-edition/gordon-smith-league-reconstruction-with-old-firm-b-teams-would-be-a-boost-to-everyone/amp/

... regionalisation at tier 2 AND colts! Gott in Himmel!

Edited by theboke

25 minutes ago, theboke said:

Edit - see Gordon Smith's Pyramid for another take on 16 team divisions...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sundaypost.com/inside-the-sunday-edition/gordon-smith-league-reconstruction-with-old-firm-b-teams-would-be-a-boost-to-everyone/amp/

... regionalisation at tier 2 AND colts! Gott in Himmel!

The key was the announcement of the revamped League Cup. As soon as we learned clubs were going to gain a couple of extra games from that, I knew it was the prelude to a bigger league.

Unbelievable foresight from Smith there.

37 minutes ago, theboke said:

I was also persuaded by Longmuir's enthusiasm for the proposal, although It's not like we're short of excitement the way the league's structured at the moment.

Longmuir couldn't persuade anyone to get out of a burning car.

They won’t vote for any reconstruction that changes their share of the pot or reduces the number of games vs Rangers and Celtic. So the idea of 16-16 below the top tier won’t affect them at all. It’s the championship clubs that will be the stumbling block
Not sure that they would still be the case. An unexpected outcome of bringing new clubs into the league is that more teams that are historically been at Championship level are dropping to div 1 and finding it hard to get back out. With more ambitious clubs rising though the pyramid it will get even harder. I reckon there are 16 clubs that are Championship standard so increasing the size of the league totally makes sense to me

12 minutes ago, jagsfan57 said:

/with a new proposed European super league with 6 English teams involved, maybe there will be fresh attempt for them to join the English leagues ?

Oh yes please go!!!!

but English won’t want them, sky might but English FA won’t 

On 17/04/2021 at 09:57, Arnold Layne said:

I don't get this 'meaningless games' thing. No game involving my team is meaningless.

Each season teams should play every other team home and away. The one who has the most points is the winner. Simple. It's such a shame that there seems to be a need to manufacture excitement by introducing distortions to the even handed model of old. I guess it's a sign of the way we live our lives at the moment. Short term thinking, instant gratification. It doesn't make the quality of football any better. It simply increases the momentary excitement. Our game, at club and national levels, is not improved by these constructs.

If you want to find a way to give every team something to play for until the last minute of the season, why not use league positions as seeding for a meaningful national cup competition the following season. Give the name 'League Cup' some real meaning.

The split was introduced over 20 years ago.

Not sure that they would still be the case. An unexpected outcome of bringing new clubs into the league is that more teams that are historically been at Championship level are dropping to div 1 and finding it hard to get back out. With more ambitious clubs rising though the pyramid it will get even harder. I reckon there are 16 clubs that are Championship standard so increasing the size of the league totally makes sense to me
Wonder how long it will take till the Championship clubs take notice of this.

Cove are already chapping on the door of the Championship and you have Queens Park coming into league 1 next season. Kelty will be in the SPFL sooner rather than later too.

4 hours ago, Old Diamond said:
6 hours ago, jagsfan57 said:

Money doesn't make a club more ambitious.

Montrose are just as ambitious as Cove are. They both want to reach the Championship next season.

Stirling as just as ambitious as Queens Park.

Money doesn't make a club more ambitious.
Montrose are just as ambitious as Cove are. They both want to reach the Championship next season.
Stirling as just as ambitious as Queens Park.
Spot on [emoji122] I get fed up hearing that such and such are more ambitious because they are spending big bucks and paying full time wages when in reality every clubs goal is to reach the top. The difference is a few have sugar daddies and others are near potless