More Shenanigans From Our Imperial Masters @SPFL

The SPFL Board specifically asked for the power to make decisions of this nature and the clubs voted against it.

Apparently, what those with any sense thinks is ‘making up as you go along’ is deemed as ‘democracy’ in Scottish football circles...

There is a 'clear path' into the SPFL. Personally, I'd love to see us get rid of the club 42 play-off and replace club 42 with the winners of the HL/LL play-off automatically but the path is there and everyone has had their shot at it in normal, completed seasons.
The SPFL didn't screw Brora or Kelty out of anything last season. Play offs were cancelled up and down the SPFL. Only automatic promotion and relegation places were awarded. Of course you had to feel for Kelty and Brora but there were plenty of SPFL clubs who finished in play-off spots who didn't get to compete in them because games simply could not be played.
The end to this season outside the SPFL is far from ideal. It's a total nonsense that Brora could end up promoted after playing only 3 league games.

Accepting what you said, Brechin were the only club that was in bottom spot in the 4 SPFL leagues that wasn’t relegated.

1 minute ago, jagsfan57 said:

Accepting what you said, Brechin were the only club that was in bottom spot in the 4 SPFL leagues that wasn’t relegated.

Yep. Because it's not an automatic relegation spot. Everyone who was in an automatic relegation spot when the season ended was relegated. Everyone in a play-off spot stayed where they were.

Yes, wouldn't we all love a rich benefactor? We did for a while and without what he out into our club I shiver to think where we would be. Wrote off our debt, invested in the club but we are still a shite run club, so rich benefactor does not equal well run. Both brora and kielty have improved their club structure and enjoyed success at their level so surely deserve to replace a club who have stagnated for too long. Surely there has to be a clear path to the "pro" leagues.
Granted the current state if affairs with only 3 games played a club is awarded their league is far from ideal but desperate times, desperate measures. I know fairness doesn't feature in Scottish football but in lieu of last season they should play a play off to meet bottom if L2. Two wrongs sometimes can make a right. Personally I'd love a trip to brora for football. I usually just drive through.

Brechin have hardly stagnated for too long. Have a look at their record over the last twenty years

5 hours ago, banditjag said:

Yes, wouldn't we all love a rich benefactor? We did for a while and without what he out into our club I shiver to think where we would be. Wrote off our debt, invested in the club but we are still a shite run club, so rich benefactor does not equal well run. Both brora and kielty have improved their club structure and enjoyed success at their level so surely deserve to replace a club who have stagnated for so long.

2FD51E3A-21D3-4955-BEA8-37AE71B61669.jpeg

2 hours ago, Life on Marrs? said:

Is it not the case that clubs were asked to come up with a plan before a ball was kicked should this scenario come about to avoid the hastles of last season & they either refused, or couldn't agree on anything? Not sure it is the SPFL to blame

And so why do we employ Doncaster and appoint a board? The least we can expect would be them to propose a choice of options not to ask clubs for authority to decide or, can you guys come up with a plan. Why the feck to we pay them a wage? Jobs for the boys/bhoys. All funded by the paying public.

2 hours ago, craigkillie said:

The SPFL Board specifically asked for the power to make decisions of this nature and the clubs voted against it.

And rightly so given their performance prior to that. What you would then expect would be for the employed people at the spfl to come up with a proposed plan, a strategy to cover all possible scenarios bar those that simply could not be anticipated. Is that not why the clubs employ and appoint these people. Out of their depth on the available evidence.

3 minutes ago, banditjag said:

And rightly so given their performance prior to that. What you would then expect would be for the employed people at the spfl to come up with a proposed plan, a strategy to cover all possible scenarios bar those that simply could not be anticipated. Is that not why the clubs employ and appoint these people. Out of their depth on the available evidence.

The SPFL Board is there to carry out the wishes of the clubs. Any club could have put forward a proposal for ending the season which would have been voted on by all the clubs. None of them chose to do so, and they voted against the only proposal which would have avoided any issues at the end of the season.

1 hour ago, Nowhereman said:

Brechin have hardly stagnated for too long. Have a look at their record over the last twenty years

Where did I say brechin? I was generalising that there are a number of clubs at our level who are gash, uninspiring, insipid and who perhaps do not deserve to just keep a league place cos of history, their place at the table. That needs to be earned surely. 

It's just that brechin, a marvelously welcoming club, are bottom of recent times.

5 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

The SPFL Board is there to carry out the wishes of the clubs. Any club could have put forward a proposal for ending the season which would have been voted on by all the clubs. None of them chose to do so, and they voted against the only proposal which would have avoided any issues at the end of the season.

There was but had insufficient support. I've little problem with that, simply making the point the board are pish and not having play offs for the bottom spot is unfair on the HL and LL

53 minutes ago, banditjag said:

as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns—the ones we don't know we don't know.

You are Donald Rumsfeld and I claim my £5

On 10/04/2021 at 12:03, Dev said:

Maybe the time is approaching when the  HL and LL should go it alone and create a jointly run National Conference made up of the best HL and LL clubs. The HL and LL would be directly feeding into it from below as follows:

[1] The initial National Conference of 16 clubs would be made up of the top 8 clubs from both the HL and the LL.

A fifth national division in a country the size of Scotland?

It’s bold, I’ll give you that...

1 hour ago, banditjag said:

And so why do we employ Doncaster and appoint a board? The least we can expect would be them to propose a choice of options not to ask clubs for authority to decide or, can you guys come up with a plan. Why the feck to we pay them a wage? Jobs for the boys/bhoys. All funded by the paying public.

AFAIK the board don't get a wage. Doncaster does.

The paying public don't fund anything apart from the club they pay to watch, and even then it's likely a minority portion of the club's income.

Was there not an article that had Doncaster spouting league reconstruction again yesterday, I wouldnt be surprised if the L1 and L2 playoffs and promotions are scrapped with the its not fair on the bottom of the championship club to be relegated due to them having played more games and didnt have their league suspended.

57 minutes ago, AL-FFC said:

Was there not an article that had Doncaster spouting league reconstruction again yesterday, I wouldnt be surprised if the L1 and L2 playoffs and promotions are scrapped with the its not fair on the bottom of the championship club to be relegated due to them having played more games and didnt have their league suspended.

In that case surely Ewen Cameron of Alloa should be stepping down right now

It wouldn't be unprecedented. Azerbaijan have 82 clubs, including amateurs playing in national leagues and its not too dissimilar in size.

I don't think a fifth national tier is a great idea though. On the other hand I am up for expanding leagues one and two.

4 hours ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

This kind of thinking is absolute nonsense. 

Do you think that Albion Rovers are holding the likes of Celtic back? 

3 hours ago, Cosmic Joe said:

This kind of thinking is absolute nonsense. 

Do you think that Albion Rovers are holding the likes of Celtic back? 

Who mentioned Celtic? Or Albion Rovers?

The question is: what depth of professional football can/should a country with a population of 5m support?

For me, straight choice between two or three leagues of 16... then go regional.

5 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Who mentioned Celtic? Or Albion Rovers?

The question is: what depth of professional football can/should a country with a population of 5m support?

For me, straight choice between two or three leagues of 16... then go regional.

There are hundreds of clubs in Scotland  paying players

Why shouldn't they play in national leagues if they are happy to do so?