More Shenanigans From Our Imperial Masters @SPFL

The below update was published by the SPFL today.

Ken Ferguson of Brechin City FC, and the League 1 & League 2 Director on the SPFL Board, has today tendered his resignation as an SPFL director.

He said: "In view of the fact that Brechin City are currently 42nd in the League, it is appropriate for me to step aside at this time – and to devote all my time and energy into ensuring that Brechin City do not finish bottom of League 2 this season."

SPFL Chairman Murdoch MacLennan commented: "On behalf of the entire SPFL Board, I would like to thank Ken for his huge contribution to the SPFL Board over the past two seasons.  I entirely understand and respect his reasons for wanting to step down at this time.  Ken’s hard work, commitment and wisdom have been of enormous benefit to the League and he will be missed."

Gordon Thomson of Clyde FC, the SPFL’s alternate director, will represent League 1 and League 2 until the SPFL’s AGM in July.

The SPFL also announced today that it is considering several issues relating to the Pyramid Play-Offs and that, as a result, it is not in a position to announce dates for Pyramid Play-Off ties this season.

The SPFL understands that the Lowland League and the Highland League have each declared ‘League Champions’ for Season 2020/21, with Kelty Hearts having played just 13 games; and Brora Rangers having played only three games this season.

At its meeting on 19 April, the SPFL Board will determine whether each of Kelty Hearts and Brora Rangers meet the SPFL’s Membership Criteria.  Only then will the SPFL be in a position to announce the position in respect of Pyramid Play-Offs this season.

A spokesman for the SPFL said: "Given that there are a number of uncertainties, including whether League 2 clubs will play 22 or 18 games this season, we are not in a position to announce dates for Pyramid Play-Off ties this season.  Whilst we understand that this lack of certainty will be disappointing to supporters of Brora Rangers and Kelty Hearts, it is important that we are entirely fair to all clubs, including the SPFL club that finishes bottom of League 2 this season.  Our approach has always been to apply the Rules that have been agreed by all member clubs, as well as the Pyramid Play-Off Rules agreed between the SPFL, the Scottish FA, the Lowland League and the Highland League, and we will do so again this season."

The SPFL doesn't like the reality of the Pyramid i.e. promotion and relegation up and down all of the Tiers.

Having done down its' reputation twelve months ago it seems likely that it's perceived as about to do the same thing again this time.

Maybe the time is approaching when the  HL and LL should go it alone and create a jointly run National Conference made up of the best HL and LL clubs. The HL and LL would be directly feeding into it from below as follows:

[1] The initial National Conference of 16 clubs would be made up of the top 8 clubs from both the HL and the LL.

[2] Unless the SPFL agrees to automatic promotion and relegation with two up and two down there would be no agreement to movement between the leagues for the time being. 

[3] The bottom two clubs in the Nat Conf would be automatically relegated to either the HL or the LL, depending on which side of the Tay Bridge line the ground is located. 

[4] The third bottom club in the Nat Conf would play-off to retain its' place against the winners of play-offs between the winners of the WoS/SoS/EoS leagues.

With guaranteed mobility between the leagues beneath the National Conference would quickly fill up with the strongest 16 clubs currently "below" the SPFL. It seems likely that the Nat Conf would quickly become as strong in playing standards as SPFL2, with some clubs close to SPFL1 level in playing standard. 

Imagine if another 10 or more WoS/EoS/SoS clubs gain their club licences this summer they will play in the 2021/22 SFA Cup. As more leading clubs gain licences the numbers of SPFL clubs being knocked-out of the SFA cup each year by "lesser" clubs will increase until it becomes a complete embarrassment to Scottish football. 

This, in turn, will destroy the myth that the HL and LL (now their top clubs in the National Conference) aren't capable of providing a league suitable for relegated SPFL2 clubs.

14 hours ago, Bully Wee Clyde FC said:

The below update was published by the SPFL today.

Ken Ferguson of Brechin City FC, and the League 1 & League 2 Director on the SPFL Board, has today tendered his resignation as an SPFL director.

He said: "In view of the fact that Brechin City are currently 42nd in the League, it is appropriate for me to step aside at this time – and to devote all my time and energy into ensuring that Brechin City do not finish bottom of League 2 this season."

SPFL Chairman Murdoch MacLennan commented: "On behalf of the entire SPFL Board, I would like to thank Ken for his huge contribution to the SPFL Board over the past two seasons.  I entirely understand and respect his reasons for wanting to step down at this time.  Ken’s hard work, commitment and wisdom have been of enormous benefit to the League and he will be missed."

Gordon Thomson of Clyde FC, the SPFL’s alternate director, will represent League 1 and League 2 until the SPFL’s AGM in July.

The SPFL also announced today that it is considering several issues relating to the Pyramid Play-Offs and that, as a result, it is not in a position to announce dates for Pyramid Play-Off ties this season.

The SPFL understands that the Lowland League and the Highland League have each declared ‘League Champions’ for Season 2020/21, with Kelty Hearts having played just 13 games; and Brora Rangers having played only three games this season.

At its meeting on 19 April, the SPFL Board will determine whether each of Kelty Hearts and Brora Rangers meet the SPFL’s Membership Criteria.  Only then will the SPFL be in a position to announce the position in respect of Pyramid Play-Offs this season.

A spokesman for the SPFL said: "Given that there are a number of uncertainties, including whether League 2 clubs will play 22 or 18 games this season, we are not in a position to announce dates for Pyramid Play-Off ties this season.  Whilst we understand that this lack of certainty will be disappointing to supporters of Brora Rangers and Kelty Hearts, it is important that we are entirely fair to all clubs, including the SPFL club that finishes bottom of League 2 this season.  Our approach has always been to apply the Rules that have been agreed by all member clubs, as well as the Pyramid Play-Off Rules agreed between the SPFL, the Scottish FA, the Lowland League and the Highland League, and we will do so again this season."

Another ruse to get the Colts in? Keeps HL/LL and bottom club happy, make reconstruction the easy option.

Smokescreen.

After last years shitfest which included brechin being bottom but didn't have to play off against the HL or LL, whichever won their play off, Ferguson was slaughtered in some quarters and along with all the other issues, made the board look crap. I suspect ferguson is leaving to negate any negative fall out in the event his club are bottom and the board save his club from a play off again.

Pure face saving football snobbery in the face of better run HL and LL clubs being denied access through the pyramid. 

Edited by banditjag

3 minutes ago, banditjag said:

Smokescreen.

After last years shitfest which included brechin being bottom but didn't have to play off against the HL or LL, whichever won their play off, Ferguson was slaughtered in some quarters and along with all the other issues, made the board look crap. I suspect ferguson is leaving to negate any negative fall out in the event his club are bottom and the board save his club from a play off again.

Pure face saving football snobbery in the face of better run HL and LL clubs being denied access through the pyramid. 

Agree with a lot of that but neither Brora nor Kelty are ‘better run’ - they have richer benefactors willing to put more money in.

Edited by nofixedability

The SPFL doesn't like the reality of the Pyramid i.e. promotion and relegation up and down all of the Tiers.
Having done down its' reputation twelve months ago it seems likely that it's perceived as about to do the same thing again this time.
Maybe the time is approaching when the  HL and LL should go it alone and create a jointly run National Conference made up of the best HL and LL clubs. The HL and LL would be directly feeding into it from below as follows:
[1] The initial National Conference of 16 clubs would be made up of the top 8 clubs from both the HL and the LL.
[2] Unless the SPFL agrees to automatic promotion and relegation with two up and two down there would be no agreement to movement between the leagues for the time being. 
[3] The bottom two clubs in the Nat Conf would be automatically relegated to either the HL or the LL, depending on which side of the Tay Bridge line the ground is located. 
[4] The third bottom club in the Nat Conf would play-off to retain its' place against the winners of play-offs between the winners of the WoS/SoS/EoS leagues.
With guaranteed mobility between the leagues beneath the National Conference would quickly fill up with the strongest 16 clubs currently "below" the SPFL. It seems likely that the Nat Conf would quickly become as strong in playing standards as SPFL2, with some clubs close to SPFL1 level in playing standard. 
Imagine if another 10 or more WoS/EoS/SoS clubs gain their club licences this summer they will play in the 2021/22 SFA Cup. As more leading clubs gain licences the numbers of SPFL clubs being knocked-out of the SFA cup each year by "lesser" clubs will increase until it becomes a complete embarrassment to Scottish football. 
This, in turn, will destroy the myth that the HL and LL (now their top clubs in the National Conference) aren't capable of providing a league suitable for relegated SPFL2 clubs.
No chance of a national conference. The travelling expenses would be horrendous.

I agree with the comments on travel and the associated expense.

If the post 18 game split is question for L2 does it also raise the question for Ĺ1? I can't think that any club in bottom 5, except last and 2nd last want more games and in the top 5 only 4th and 5th would have anything to gain in another 4 games. 

17 hours ago, nofixedability said:

Agree with a lot of that but neither Brora nor Kelty are ‘better run’ - they have richer benefactors willing to put more money in.

Yes, wouldn't we all love a rich benefactor? We did for a while and without what he out into our club I shiver to think where we would be. Wrote off our debt, invested in the club but we are still a shite run club, so rich benefactor does not equal well run. Both brora and kielty have improved their club structure and enjoyed success at their level so surely deserve to replace a club who have stagnated for too long. Surely there has to be a clear path to the "pro" leagues.

Granted the current state if affairs with only 3 games played a club is awarded their league is far from ideal but desperate times, desperate measures. I know fairness doesn't feature in Scottish football but in lieu of last season they should play a play off to meet bottom if L2. Two wrongs sometimes can make a right. Personally I'd love a trip to brora for football. I usually just drive through.

2 hours ago, banditjag said:

Yes, wouldn't we all love a rich benefactor? We did for a while and without what he out into our club I shiver to think where we would be. Wrote off our debt, invested in the club but we are still a shite run club, so rich benefactor does not equal well run. Both brora and kielty have improved their club structure and enjoyed success at their level so surely deserve to replace a club who have stagnated for too long. Surely there has to be a clear path to the "pro" leagues.

Granted the current state if affairs with only 3 games played a club is awarded their league is far from ideal but desperate times, desperate measures. I know fairness doesn't feature in Scottish football but in lieu of last season they should play a play off to meet bottom if L2. Two wrongs sometimes can make a right. Personally I'd love a trip to brora for football. I usually just drive through.

There is a 'clear path' into the SPFL. Personally, I'd love to see us get rid of the club 42 play-off and replace club 42 with the winners of the HL/LL play-off automatically but the path is there and everyone has had their shot at it in normal, completed seasons.

The SPFL didn't screw Brora or Kelty out of anything last season. Play offs were cancelled up and down the SPFL. Only automatic promotion and relegation places were awarded. Of course you had to feel for Kelty and Brora but there were plenty of SPFL clubs who finished in play-off spots who didn't get to compete in them because games simply could not be played.

The end to this season outside the SPFL is far from ideal. It's a total nonsense that Brora could end up promoted after playing only 3 league games.

8 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

There is a 'clear path' into the SPFL. Personally, I'd love to see us get rid of the club 42 play-off and replace club 42 with the winners of the HL/LL play-off automatically but the path is there and everyone has had their shot at it in normal, completed seasons.

The SPFL didn't screw Brora or Kelty out of anything last season. Play offs were cancelled up and down the SPFL. Only automatic promotion and relegation places were awarded. Of course you had to feel for Kelty and Brora but there were plenty of SPFL clubs who finished in play-off spots who didn't get to compete in them because games simply could not be played.

The end to this season outside the SPFL is far from ideal. It's a total nonsense that Brora could end up promoted after playing only 3 league games.

Particularly as two HL clubs didn't manage to play any games.

Just now, Arnold Layne said:

Particularly as two HL clubs didn't manage to play any games.

There absolutely should have been a rule in place across all of Scottish football that if any league couldn't fulfil at least half of the 'normal' fixtures (everyone home and away in the SPFL, everyone at least once in the HL/LL) then the leagues were null and void. 

8 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

There absolutely should have been a rule in place across all of Scottish football that if any league couldn't fulfil at least half of the 'normal' fixtures (everyone home and away in the SPFL, everyone at least once in the HL/LL) then the leagues were null and void. 

Good point. Spfl sadly lacking in planning and foresight once again.

I know it is strange unprecedented times etc but you would hope that a board and chair being paid huge wages would be up to the task. It's undeniable they have been found wanting.

I get your point about other clubs being denied play offs from last season, but that doesn't make right nor excuse the clusterfuck that was the end of season decisions. And yet lessons weren't learned by those in power. No clear strategy to cover any eventualities never mind all eventualities, which of course would be unreasonable to expect.

It's old ground I know, but some people are using the pandemic to their own ends and protect their own interests. Which to a degree is understandable but doesn't make it right. No harm to brechin fans, I'd expect my club would do the same and most likely I wouldn't be complaining.

4 minutes ago, banditjag said:

Good point. Spfl sadly lacking in planning and foresight once again.

I know it is strange unprecedented times etc but you would hope that a board and chair being paid huge wages would be up to the task. It's undeniable they have been found wanting.

I get your point about other clubs being denied play offs from last season, but that doesn't make right nor excuse the clusterfuck that was the end of season decisions. And yet lessons weren't learned by those in power. No clear strategy to cover any eventualities never mind all eventualities, which of course would be unreasonable to expect.

It's old ground I know, but some people are using the pandemic to their own ends and protect their own interests. Which to a degree is understandable but doesn't make it right. No harm to brechin fans, I'd expect my club would do the same and most likely I wouldn't be complaining.

Yeah, it's been absolute incompetence from the SPFL. Last season, I'll cut them some slack, nobody saw that coming. This season though, it was painfully obvious that there was a chance not every league could go to completion and the only way to not make it a complete clusterfuck was to sort out clear rules at the beginning. They didn't didn't do that and, surprise, surprise, we've got ourselves yet another clusterfuck.

Is it not the case that clubs were asked to come up with a plan before a ball was kicked should this scenario come about to avoid the hastles of last season & they either refused, or couldn't agree on anything? Not sure it is the SPFL to blame

Is it not the case that clubs were asked to come up with a plan before a ball was kicked should this scenario come about to avoid the hastles of last season & they either refused, or couldn't agree on anything? Not sure it is the SPFL to blame
The SPFL board asked the clubs for the power to decide how to conclude an incomplete season and the clubs voted against.

There really isn't any reason the play offs shouldn't go ahead this season. Its up to the LL and HL to determine who their champions are, the SPFL have no say in it.