Record Store Day 2021

Jimi Shandrix

So RSD rolls round again and once again the most exciting bit is the moment just before you look at the list. The possibilities abound. Will this be the year they finally release Karen Carpenters 1966 demo's on vinyl or maybe the soundtrack to "Badlands" will get it's first ever release? And then you peruse the list and it dawns on you that they have achieved the seemingly impossible and it is even more moribund than last year or the year before that. Howard Jones' 12 inch remixes anyone? Or how about a 30th anniversary clear vinyl 12 inch of "Right Here, Right Now" by Jesus Jones? Def Leppard live 1980? There are very few actual exclusives, just lots of major label LP reissues on swanky coloured vinyl for £40. The original idea of RSD seems to have been very diluted. Oh well, another year, another long lie for me. Is it time to chuck this annual fleecing of the fans in the bin?

• 1 month later...
Excitement is building for this I see.

I used to make a point of buying something every year but it’s just full of out takes and junk no one really wants.

Peaked a few years ago for me when they released “Alternative Moondance” which was just a bunch of alternative takes that Van Morrison presumably didn’t like enough to make the actual album.

Only release I really want is the Belly B-sides and other rarities album. Even then I'm not sure that I can be arsed going up to Dundee for it. I'll probably miss Assai's appointment system going live tomorrow. I want to pick up the Liz Phair and Black Keys albums if I can get a slot at Assai, but if I can't then I'm not overly bothered. I'll get the other 2 when I'm up next month to buy the Faye Webster album.

RSD is pretty shite. Dont really get the interesting curios that you should and the last time I saw a full album special edition that I really wanted was Felice Brothers releasing Tonight At The Arizona. I picked up a compilation called Girls From The Garage last year. Volume 6 or 7 I think. Enjoyable enough that I'd want to try and get the rest of the series. Thats the kind of thing RSD was made for. Or Nuggets style compilations. The French Psyche one they're releasing this year would probably be ok but there's a female country one that's just garbage. Loads of material out there that would be perfect for the RSD treatment. Not the crap they have left over.

Edited by BallochSonsFan