Cove Vs Sons

Saturday see's Cove welcome the Sons to Balmoral with both teams relishing the chance to get 3 valuable points.

The Sons scored 2 in their last encounter with East Fife and looked more threatening going forward, and in doing so moved further away from last spot with Forfar going down 3-0 to Clyde. Sons will be looking to leapfrog Clyde and step out of the dreaded playoff spot. For Cove, 3 points will keep them on the coat tails of Falkirk or even close the gap and this will add extra meaning to 1st vs 2nd battle at Balmoral next week.

Cove will welcome back Mitch who was sadly missed in the 1-1 draw with Clyde on Tuesday. Leighton McIntosh will be available, although I hope he's warming the bench. Masson joins Harry Milne not on our strong left side of the pitch but on the injury list. Both out for the rest of the season. Two big losses.

Cove were determined to pass it sideways on Tuesday and without Mitch looked devoid of any movement up top. This will change on Saturday and we need to put on a good attacking performance.

Predicated starting line-up;

McKenzie

Scott Ross-Graham-Strachan-Ngwenya

Yule-Fyvie-Scully-Smith

Mitch-Rory

Edited by CoveRangers1922

Pedantic I know but you've got the Sons at home in the thread title.

Will be tough for us but we should have belief from last night and from the fact we've already beaten Cove. Would be great to have Layne available and give us another boost.

6 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Pedantic I know but you've got the Sons at home in the thread title.

Will be tough for us but we should have belief from last night and from the fact we've already beaten Cove. Would be great to have Layne available and give us another boost.

Well spotted, don't know how I managed that!

Layne replacing Jones would be an improvement from an outsider looking into Dumbarton's team. Will Wilson and Omar start? Both I think would be deserving.

2 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Well spotted, don't know how I managed that!

Layne replacing Jones would be an improvement from an outsider looking into Dumbarton's team. Will Wilson and Omar start? Both I think would be deserving.

If Omar doesn't start there should be riots. I hope if Layne is fit then there's no room for Wilson or Jones but if Layne isn't fit I'd expect Jones to start - he's amazingly in better form than Wilson just now.

Tough one for @CoveRangers1922 this, I kind of feel like he’s adopted us as his wee team. 

I didn’t see last night’s win but by all accounts the team was much more balanced without Carswell in it. I fully expect Duffy to start Carswell in this one, rest Omar, rest Wallace and put Jamie Barclay at centre half.

1 hour ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Tough one for @CoveRangers1922 this, I kind of feel like he’s adopted us as his wee team. 

I didn’t see last night’s win but by all accounts the team was much more balanced without Carswell in it. I fully expect Duffy to start Carswell in this one, rest Omar, rest Wallace and put Jamie Barclay at centre half.

I definitely do have a soft spot for the Sons. A team I've taken notice of a bit in recent years; not the largest fan base, probably similar to us, or a club with the most amount of financial backing but managed to get to the Championship and say there for 6 years? I think that was a big accomplishment. Plus Mitch played for you guys and he's our Talisman/hero!

Duffy is probably not your finest manager in recent years and I'm sure there are other more capable candidates out there that could get more out of the current squad or play a more attacking style. 

Mitch up against Barclay I would love to see! Barclay probably moves at the same speed as McAllister to be fair.

14 minutes ago, microdave said:

Aye. We've only ever played them once and that was the game in December at the Rock.

We won't talk about how that went 😪. We played a Craig Levin that day; 4-6-0 formation

I for one welcome Sons v Cove just turning into a big Mitch Megginson love-in. Top pler is Mitch. He spoke really fondly of his time with us when I interviewed him before the game in December.

Anyway. This will be me ticking off ground 40/42. Just Borough Briggs and Victoria Park to go. I suspect I'll have New Central Park in Kelty to tick off next season mind you - as well as Queen's Park's new lesser Hampden (although I've been to the old one) and Edinburgh City's refurbished Meadowbank.

1 hour ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I for one welcome Sons v Cove just turning into a big Mitch Megginson love-in. Top pler is Mitch. He spoke really fondly of his time with us when I interviewed him before the game in December.

Anyway. This will be me ticking off ground 40/42. Just Borough Briggs and Victoria Park to go. I suspect I'll have New Central Park in Kelty to tick off next season mind you - as well as Queen's Park's new lesser Hampden (although I've been to the old one) and Edinburgh City's refurbished Meadowbank.

He's a good lad is Mitch, does speak well and what a natural goalscorer. For us he's scored 163 in 191 games I believe. Was L2 top scorer and leading the way in L1 too (with DGW). Watching him over the years I suspect McIness was ruing the decision he made to let him go all those years ago. Could have done a job at Aberdeen or a lesser premiership club.

Borough Briggs is a fantastic venue to watch football, you'll enjoy that visit. Hopefully a cup game or Elgin coming up to League 1! Here is a snap from when I was there in late summer 2019. Blue sky, 22 degrees and we won 2-0 (Mitch - obviously and Canto if I remember correctly). Just a great time looking back at it, being in the stadium watching your team and a beautiful Scottish summer day. One day that privilege will return to us all and we'll appreciate it all the more!

New Central Park would be easier to get to than Dudgeon Park, could well be the latter. 

BB2019.jpg

19 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

That’s if the pyramid play off goes ahead

i read something yesterday about it potentially being cancelled! Brora and Kelty would both be great additions to the leagues!

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/news.stv.tv/sport/spfl-reveals-serious-issues-with-pyramid-play-offs%3ftop&amp

Edited by JamesMunro

58 minutes ago, JamesMunro said:

That’s if the pyramid play off goes ahead

i read something yesterday about it potentially being cancelled! Brora and Kelty would both be great additions to the leagues!

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/news.stv.tv/sport/spfl-reveals-serious-issues-with-pyramid-play-offs%3ftop&amp

Read that too. Ken Ferguson bailing out with a few games to go putting the pyramid playoffs into jeopardy, or further jeopardy might be more appropriate. I feel for Brechin or Cowden or whoever finishes bottom but the playoffs should go ahead regardless in my opinion. Both Kelty and Brora could feel very hard done if they aren't given a chance two years in a row.

30 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Read that too. Ken Ferguson bailing out with a few games to go putting the pyramid playoffs into jeopardy, or further jeopardy might be more appropriate. I feel for Brechin or Cowden or whoever finishes bottom but the playoffs should go ahead regardless in my opinion. Both Kelty and Brora could feel very hard done if they aren't given a chance two years in a row.

How did they actually decide who the Highland League champions were? Surely Brora weren’t handed it after just 3 league fixtures? I’m assuming this season was null and void and Brora are potentially going into the playoff based on last seasons table?