Prince Philip Deid

1 minute ago, Pato said:

I mind guys at school saying the duke of edinburgh award would look really good on your CV, like aye you're going to go into a job interview and 90% of the questions will be about how you took the initiative in reading a map and pitching a tent and got a gold star for it

He yeah never really understood that either. Still fired it proudly in my National Record of Achievement mind 👀

3 minutes ago, Pato said:

I mind guys at school saying the duke of edinburgh award would look really good on your CV, like aye you're going to go into a job interview and 90% of the questions will be about how you took the initiative in reading a map and pitching a tent and got a gold star for it

It's nothing to do with what you actually do on your DoE.  It's the fact that you've done something additional that you didn't need to do.  Shows you've got a bit more life in you than the average punter.

14 hours ago, Fullerene said:

This Thursday it will be 20 years since Joey Ramone passed away.  By way of a tribute, I think flags should be flown at half mast, black armbands worn and maybe even delay the kick off for certain sporting events.

Also tempted to write to the BBC to ask if they would do a 12 hour special on Joey's contribution to music.

Just a thought.

A 24 hour loop of Blitzkreig Bop, their homage  to The Bay City Rollers would do...

Edited by btb

1 hour ago, Elric said:

Sickner for the BBC this morning. They have sent a reporter to Crete, where the Duke was born, and asked her how the people there are reacting to his death. The reply "With some indifference".  

Probably because he was born in Corfu.

39 minutes ago, Left Back said:

It's nothing to do with what you actually do on your DoE.  It's the fact that you've done something additional that you didn't need to do.  Shows you've got a bit more life in you than the average punter.

I'm not sure signing up to something so you receive a pat on the back and a gold sticker shows you've got "more in life" than people who aren't going around looking for validation, tbh. 

I know someone who did DOE because the girl he fancied was right into it.

He never went back or got involved again after she told him she had a boyfriend during a camping trip.

Vast majority people who make it through Gold DofE or already well on their way to uni or whatever they want in life.

A system that requires hours of voluntary service, record keeping, report writing ability as well as the physical element isn't quite the great leveller people think it is.

I'll await the outlier anecdotes

Edited by invergowrie arab

4 hours ago, dirty dingus said:

They are still droning on about Phil. Don't think that many folk give a shite about him. Just feel as though the Establishment are using it as a dress rehearsal for Lizzy pegging it and pushing it to see how many tributes they can get away with before a nationwide heads gone storming of the Mall moment happens.

I just think the likes of Witchell (and I'm assuming Jenny Bond will have come out of the woodwork) are looking for one last big O/T payment - like a miner in January 1984, they can see the good times are coming to an end. When the dinosaurs die off, their parasites will die as well. 

4 hours ago, Elric said:

Sickner for the BBC this morning. They have sent a reporter to Crete, where the Duke was born, and asked her how the people there are reacting to his death. The reply "With some indifference".  What sort of peasants are these people?  No wonder we left the EEC.

Probably the fact that the old immigrant racist was born in Corfu had something to do with their notgivingafuckedness.

ETA: Fair play, lurkst got in before me. The question remains, though - how can the BBC, presumably not run by total morons*, get such a basic fact wrong, to the extent of actually going to the expense of broadcasting from the wrong place?

*politically biased, establishment sycophants, yes, but not, I'd have thought, so devoid of basic knowledge or, lacking that, the ability to fucking check shit up on Google. 

Edited by WhiteRoseKillie

I’ve avoided this thread as I’ve nothing much to say about the death of a racist parasite, but in case it’s not been mentioned it looks like his missus is not going to have to pay inheritance tax on his estate.

Apologies if already mentioned.

6 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Vast majority people who make it through Gold DofE or already well on their way to uni or whatever they want in life.

A system that requires hours of voluntary service, record keeping, report writing ability as well as the physical element isn't quite the great leveller people think it is.

I'll await the outlier anecdotes

Aye I jacked it because it was interfering with my busy schedule of getting stoned.