Prince Philip Deid

This Thursday it will be 20 years since Joey Ramone passed away.  By way of a tribute, I think flags should be flown at half mast, black armbands worn and maybe even delay the kick off for certain sporting events.

Also tempted to write to the BBC to ask if they would do a 12 hour special on Joey's contribution to music.

Just a thought.

4 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yes, I think someone who provided a backdrop to formative years can matter.   Musicians can certainly have a particular resonance for people.  Suicides, as in 'real life' have the potential even remotely, to be especially distressing.

Another theme seems to be that if people are genuinely grieving, then a death that's more removed, can trigger difficult emotions.

I suppose, one of the issues concerns the  struggle to understand how royalty can mean so much to people.  The fact that most posters are relatively young maybe plays a part in a collective indifference on here.  The fact that most are Scottish is also likely to matter.

I don't suppose most of us would mind too much if we only saw the odd glimpse of people expressing sadness.  The problem is the that it all seems so forced and forceful.  

Aye, funny enough after replying to that thread I thought about John Lambie, and how his death (entirely expected, seeing as he'd been smoking senior service since he was about 5) was deeply impactful due to the part he'd played in my young life and late teen/young adult years. 

And you're right, of course. This does feel forced, and the insincerity gives me the feeling of having my pocket picked. I get that an old royal dying will have deep and profound impacts on people. We often grieve at the death of public figures (Bowie, Maradona etc) and the rationality of it is beyond us in that moment. It could be because their work spoke to us (I felt McIlvanney had written his novels for me personally) or because they represented the Grandfather we always wanted but never had. What we are seeing now is prescriptive, cookie cutter mourning which leaves no room for personal connection. This death has been hijacked by those who want us to feel a particular way about the Britain in general and the royal family in particular.

However I see no difference between the fella with his Union Jack hat and me crying clutching my copy of "Docherty". This mawkish Korea-esque display actually acts as a barrier to the empathy that one might otherwise extend to those people.

10 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

This Thursday it will be 20 years since Joey Ramone passed away.  By way of a tribute, I think flags should be flown at half mast, black armbands worn and maybe even delay the kick off for certain sporting events.

Also tempted to write to the BBC to ask if they would do a 12 hour special on Joey's contribution to music.

Just a thought.

There has been an awful lot of Ramones T-shirts though. 

8 hours ago, Stormzy said:

I'm really disappointed with this one. 

He's usually such a boring pious old b*****d who tries to virtue signal at almost every given opportunity whilst simultaneously showing everyone how utterly insipid and bland his personality is. For someone that's usually so judgemental and quick to call out anything he politically disagrees with as morally objectionable that's really hard to understand why he would post blatant sectarian remarks... is he not one of the good guys? 

1 hour ago, Stormzy said:

there's a frightening amount of people that seem to have "liking Limmy" as being an integral part of their personalities. 

ETA his brother is funnier. 

1 hour ago, Pato said:

Would you be willing to link to anything specific that David Limond has said that you think is funny?

Incredible stuff - P&B's resident Rangers troll says he's 'disappointed' in sectarian remarks made on the site, but then later goes on to tell us that he thinks Limmy's bigoted, staunch Rangers fan brother is funny.

https://www.ayradvertiser.com/news/13762220.ayr-bigots-sectarian-rant-rangers-book/

3 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

Incredible stuff - P&B's resident Rangers troll says he's 'disappointed' in sectarian remarks made on the site, but then later goes on to tell us that he thinks Limmy's bigoted, staunch Rangers fan brother is funny.

https://www.ayradvertiser.com/news/13762220.ayr-bigots-sectarian-rant-rangers-book/

Can you not read sarcasm? 

I'm not a Rangers troll whatever that is you're just a simpleton that can't understand nuance. 

Limmys brother is funny. Gordon used sectarian language and as someone he has insulted for no reason before I find this amusing, what's the issue? 

20 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

Just a thought.

You want the airwaves?

2 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Is David Limond not known for a prank call with Danny Dyer where he calls him a slur against Pakistanis?

I've never heard that and wouldn't imagine it's what most people know him for. Perhaps him and Gordon would have more in common than I imagined!

As far as I know, it was the climber/army officer John Hunt who devised and created the awards. Phil’s contribution was allowing the use of the title his wife gave him, handing out the awards, and then dining out on the fawning praise they raked in thereafter. The royals have a long history of attaching their titles to things other people actually work on, and then reaping the plaudits for them forever after.
Yep see also: Prince's Trust. Charlie might be a spoilt adult baby and adulterer, but look! He turns up to popular music recitals. That's right, isn't it? Recitals?

4 hours ago, Stormzy said:

I love the double standards about who it's okay to make jokes about. A musician once died that affected me and almost every comment was "lol he's dead" type of stuff. Generally speaking it's not something worth getting bothered about but it does seem like a lot of people want to change the rules dependant on their personal views on people. This was noticable to me with Twitter patting themselves on the back for making Philip jokes all day and then when DMX died getting all upset and outraged that some people brought up his homophobic history. 

I agree with everything you’ve said but how many of us are responsible for double standards on this sort of thing? We have all laughed at things we shouldn’t and most of us have probably told an offensive joke whilst also being taken aback by someone else’s dark humour at some point or another. I suppose it’s all about evaluating the person you’re making a joke out of and the audience you are telling the joke to and being fairly sure you’re not going to offend anyone, which is difficult both in real life and online.

The punching up punching down argument works well with most cases but look at someone like Jade Goody - she had absolutely nothing going for her in life but was still seen as fair game even after she had died. Harvey Price is another example, pretty much dragged down by his mother but still in the firing line for absolute pelters despite being a disabled, obese teenager: it’s a cruel world out there.

22 minutes ago, velo army said:

Aye, funny enough after replying to that thread I thought about John Lambie, and how his death (entirely expected, seeing as he'd been smoking senior service since he was about 5) was deeply impactful due to the part he'd played in my young life and late teen/young adult years. 

And you're right, of course. This does feel forced, and the insincerity gives me the feeling of having my pocket picked. I get that an old royal dying will have deep and profound impacts on people. We often grieve at the death of public figures (Bowie, Maradona etc) and the rationality of it is beyond us in that moment. It could be because their work spoke to us (I felt McIlvanney had written his novels for me personally) or because they represented the Grandfather we always wanted but never had. What we are seeing now is prescriptive, cookie cutter mourning which leaves no room for personal connection. This death has been hijacked by those who want us to feel a particular way about the Britain in general and the royal family in particular.

However I see no difference between the fella with his Union Jack hat and me crying clutching my copy of "Docherty". This mawkish Korea-esque display actually acts as a barrier to the empathy that one might otherwise extend to those people.

Excellent post.

You're right - it's the prescriptive nature of this that's the problem.

The hijacking you describe is now familiar to us from each November, but its acceleration here has taken some of us by surprise.

It actually serves those who do feel something genuine, as badly as it serves those of us who are baffled.  It best suits that constituency that enjoys the fuss and the faux grief.  I suspect that's smaller than the coverage suggests though.

12 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:
50 minutes ago, Antlion said:
As far as I know, it was the climber/army officer John Hunt who devised and created the awards. Phil’s contribution was allowing the use of the title his wife gave him, handing out the awards, and then dining out on the fawning praise they raked in thereafter. The royals have a long history of attaching their titles to things other people actually work on, and then reaping the plaudits for them forever after.

Yep see also: Prince's Trust. Charlie might be a spoilt adult baby and adulterer, but look! He turns up to popular music recitals. That's right, isn't it? Recitals?

I’m fairly sure part of the elaborate con job that was “modernising” the monarchy (when other countries were dissolving theirs) was the development of a whole host of “royal duties” that exist solely, as far as I can see, to justify the royals’ continued existence. Monarchists are in the weird position of arguing that we need the royals to do things that have literally just been invented to give the royals things to do.

If you fancy a laugh, have a read of this absolute fucking (deadly serious) insanity:

”Rising at around 8.30 am, Her Majesty is greeted by the sounds of the bagpipes each morning at nine, as a piper plays on the terrace beneath her apartment at Buckingham Palace. She usually takes a bath before having breakfast alone, and it is usually Cornflakes or Special K cereal and fresh or dried fruit. At Christmas, when she usually receives truffles as a gift, The Queen will have scrambled eggs with smoked salmon and a grating of truffle as a festive treat.”

“The clock is only reading 11, and it’s time for Her Majesty to attend meetings. The Queen dedicates one-on-one time with special guests, such as overseas ambassadors, High Commissioners, newly appointed British ambassadors, and senior members of the British and Commonwealth Armed Forces. These usually last no more than 20 minutes to ensure relevant and important topics are discussed, but not to eat into too much of Her Majesty’s daily schedule.

”After all that hard work, it’s time for a lunch break, which The Queen often chooses to take privately. A typical lunch, served at 1pm, would be fish and vegetables, such as a grilled Dover sole on a bed of wilted spinach or courgettes, reports a former royal chef. It is said Her Majesty avoids carbohydrates.”

”Depending on the day's engagements, the Queen may have to change as many as five times, but she rarely makes her own choice; that is what she pays her dressers to do, she says.”

1 minute ago, throbber said:

I agree with everything you’ve said but how many of us are responsible for double standards on this sort of thing? We have all laughed at things we shouldn’t and most of us have probably told an offensive joke whilst also being taken aback by someone else’s dark humour at some point or another. I suppose it’s all about evaluating the person you’re making a joke out of and the audience you are telling the joke to and being fairly sure you’re not going to offend anyone, which is difficult both in real life and online.

The punching up punching down argument works well with most cases but look at someone like Jade Goody - she had absolutely nothing going for her in life but was still seen as fair game even after she had died. Harvey Price is another example, pretty much dragged down by his mother but still in the firing line for absolute pelters despite being a disabled, obese teenager: it’s a cruel world out there.

Loads of us I'd imagine. I think the audience part is crucial, me and my mates have some dark humour and I would never dream of posting any of it online, so when it comes to dead people, I get why people want to poke fun at times but I don't think anyone that feels so compelled to post such things online should be able to sincerely pontificate about other people doing the same when they so happen to dislike or like said person. 

39 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

Just a thought.

Imagine how many Ramones songs they'd be able to cram into 12 hours.

1 hour ago, Cosmic Joe said:

Intrigued by a Rangers (RIP) fan taking umbrage at a Meadowbank Thistle (RIP) fan making a sectarian anti - Catholic remark. This is is what Pie and Bovril Sundays are all about

Woah, hold the bus. Are you confusing me with GordonS, who is not a Thistle fan?

8 minutes ago, Antlion said:

I’m fairly sure part of the elaborate con job that was “modernising” the monarchy (when other countries were dissolving theirs) was the development of a whole host of “royal duties” that exist solely, as far as I can see, to justify the royals’ continued existence. Monarchists are in the weird position of arguing that we need the royals to do things that have literally just been invented to give the royals things to do.

If you fancy a laugh, have a read of this absolute fucking (deadly serious) insanity:

”Rising at around 8.30 am, Her Majesty is greeted by the sounds of the bagpipes each morning at nine, as a piper plays on the terrace beneath her apartment at Buckingham Palace. She usually takes a bath before having breakfast alone, and it is usually Cornflakes or Special K cereal and fresh or dried fruit. At Christmas, when she usually receives truffles as a gift, The Queen will have scrambled eggs with smoked salmon and a grating of truffle as a festive treat.”

“The clock is only reading 11, and it’s time for Her Majesty to attend meetings. The Queen dedicates one-on-one time with special guests, such as overseas ambassadors, High Commissioners, newly appointed British ambassadors, and senior members of the British and Commonwealth Armed Forces. These usually last no more than 20 minutes to ensure relevant and important topics are discussed, but not to eat into too much of Her Majesty’s daily schedule.

”After all that hard work, it’s time for a lunch break, which The Queen often chooses to take privately. A typical lunch, served at 1pm, would be fish and vegetables, such as a grilled Dover sole on a bed of wilted spinach or courgettes, reports a former royal chef. It is said Her Majesty avoids carbohydrates.”

”Depending on the day's engagements, the Queen may have to change as many as five times, but she rarely makes her own choice; that is what she pays her dressers to do, she says.”

The queen in just one day has,

1. Woken up

2. Eaten breakfast 

3. talked to people(and I doubt the ambassadors get any different treatment to the hello, what do you do, oh that’s interesting, thanks you conversation given out when they meet us at plebs. 

4. Eaten lunch 

5. Changed clothes.

What an amazing accomplishment, how can it be done?

10 minutes ago, GordonD said:

Woah, hold the bus. Are you confusing me with GordonS, who is not a Thistle fan?

There's too many Gordons + initial(s) on this site. Best to treat them all the same, imho, just to be on the safe side.

Edited by Jacksgranda