Prince Philip Deid

Rule of thumb: does he/she leave the world poorer for them not being in it, or improved?

If the above does not produce a clear answer: did he/she try to improve the world when they were in it?

For me, the likes of Thatcher fail on the first question, whereas Phil the Greek, and I feel I'm being generous here, gets to the second before failing.
I've no great feelings one way or the other on him and was not involved in it but the effect the DOE Awards scheme has had on many people suggests to me he did try to make a difference.

7 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

If it was a run of the mill celebrity to spout the nonsense he had, their career would be over in no time.

Sadly not the case at all look at a certain homophobic rapper getting a lot of well wishes upon his death and there are plenty celebrities that have done worse than Phil and still getting gigs.

These two for instanceAnimated GIF

56 minutes ago, Mr X said:

lol wut?

I couldnt care less what happened on your part. My post you quoted was directed at another poster.

Do you need a "look at me" gif too?

Modern shite patter thread for this pish.

Guest TheJTS98
8 minutes ago, 101 said:

Sadly not the case at all look at a certain homophobic rapper getting a lot of well wishes upon his death and there are plenty celebrities that have done worse than Phil and still getting gigs.

One of the worst tv shows to ever get a sympathetic ear from the British public. Appalling.

Not the quality, but the message. Genuinely appalling.

3 hours ago, GordonS said:

I'll not use the term here again because it's obviously not as widely understood as I thought, but I'll certainly keep using it among my friends, because they know what it means.

And therein lies the problem @GordonSyou thick,  backwards c**t. 

3 hours ago, GordonS said:

Did it not occur to you that they're Catholics?

And that none of use the term to mean anything other than how I described it? I know a priest who uses the term FFS. One that did our wedding and I've been friends with for 25 years.

This is as fkn stupid as white people compalining about black people calling each other the N word.

*complaining

Where to even begin with the rest of this post... 🤯

3 hours ago, Mr X said:

Clearly not done with this.

But really should be done with this

Sin bin the clown.

Guest TheJTS98
5 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

I think he hit the right note.

What are you bass-ing that on?

I've used that line before, but I won't fret about it.

40 minutes ago, Stormzy said:

I quite like him but he is horrendously overrated. His comment sections are full of the most patter devoid people on the planet and there's a frightening amount of people that seem to have "liking Limmy" as being an integral part of their personalities. 

ETA his brother is funnier. 

He’s definitely not but I think @GordonS might be Limmy’s  brother.

31 minutes ago, Pato said:

Would you be willing to link to anything specific that David Limond has said that you think is funny?

I don't think he posts much publically tbf but that was also a massive piece of insincere bait. 

I always think it's funny the differences between the two of them and think it probably goes a decent way in explaining some of Limmys political/social views. I think they're closer now than they were at one point which is nice to see. 

Intrigued by a Rangers (RIP) fan taking umbrage at a Meadowbank Thistle (RIP) fan making a sectarian anti - Catholic remark. This is is what Pie and Bovril Sundays are all about

Edited by Cosmic Joe

50 minutes ago, 101 said:

A good portion of the negative response to Philip's death will be motivated by the ongoing hagiography in the press and wider institutions. None of these celebrities wield as much power as a member of the literal monarchy either.

1 hour ago, Archie McSquackle said:
1 hour ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:
Rule of thumb: does he/she leave the world poorer for them not being in it, or improved?

If the above does not produce a clear answer: did he/she try to improve the world when they were in it?

For me, the likes of Thatcher fail on the first question, whereas Phil the Greek, and I feel I'm being generous here, gets to the second before failing.

I've no great feelings one way or the other on him and was not involved in it but the effect the DOE Awards scheme has had on many people suggests to me he did try to make a difference.

As far as I know, it was the climber/army officer John Hunt who devised and created the awards. Phil’s contribution was allowing the use of the title his wife gave him, handing out the awards, and then dining out on the fawning praise they raked in thereafter. The royals have a long history of attaching their titles to things other people actually work on, and then reaping the plaudits for them forever after.

DoE award was absolutely amazing whoever it was that came up with it. Kind of thing that is utter agony at the time, but a couple of years later you look back and realise you had a fucking fantastic time and you're proper proud of yourself. 

14 minutes ago, Cosmic Joe said:

Intrigued by a Rangers (RIP) fan taking umbrage at a Meadowbank Thistle (RIP) fan making a sectarian anti - Catholic remark. This is is what Pie and Bovril Sundays are all about

Well it's an interesting irony when the poster has called me every name under the sun presuming I'm a racist/bigot/homophobe/*insert anything* purely on the basis I'm a Unionst Rangers fan where as none of my posts have ever been removed and here we are, the same accuser is posting sectarian remarks that have to be removed from a football forum..