Prince Philip Deid

1 hour ago, TheJTS98 said:

I suppose it's partly to do with how polarised things are. I doubt that's as new as some like to make out, but it certainly has an effect.

Certain groups see certain people as fair game and certain others as completely off-limits for joking about.

There's no way to say this without sounding like a 20th century Boys Brigade leader, but I suppose it comes down to your personal standards. Either you think making fun of people who have just died is ok or you don't.

Thatcher dying was a good example of this. Some people see her as a monster so decided that anything was ok to say about her when she died. Prince Phillip is kind of like a Thatcher-lite in that regard.

I think it's just generally nice to not be putting the boot into someone who's just died. Nobody gains from it.

Some people get a lot of green dots.

1 hour ago, Marshmallo said:

200.gif

1 hour ago, Sweet Pete said:

I'm reporting f**k all, I'm no grass. But I will point out if someone has posted something that I strongly disagree with. As I'd expect others to do likewise to me. We should (and I stress "should" here...) all be adult enough to listen to criticism when it's merited. That's how discussion forums work.

"No grass"? Are you 12 though?

Theres no issue with calling out other posters and pointing out something you disagree with, no one has said there is.

That isnt what happened here though

11 minutes ago, Mr X said:

200.gif

"No grass"? Are you 12 though?

Theres no issue with calling out other posters and pointing out something you disagree with, no one has said there is.

That isnt what happened here though

It's exactly what happened here on my part, so don't talk shite. What anyone else did is no concern of mine.

6 minutes ago, Sweet Pete said:

It's exactly what happened here on my part, so don't talk shite. What anyone else did is no concern of mine.

lol wut?

I couldnt care less what happened on your part. My post you quoted was directed at another poster.

Do you need a "look at me" gif too?

2 minutes ago, Mr X said:

lol wut?

I couldnt care less what happened on your part. My post you quoted was directed at another poster.

Do you need a "look at me" gif too?

No, but it looks like you've been desperate to get involved here and charged in after the fact making yourself look a dick. Now off you pop.

I suppose it's partly to do with how polarised things are. I doubt that's as new as some like to make out, but it certainly has an effect.
Certain groups see certain people as fair game and certain others as completely off-limits for joking about.
There's no way to say this without sounding like a 20th century Boys Brigade leader, but I suppose it comes down to your personal standards. Either you think making fun of people who have just died is ok or you don't.
Thatcher dying was a good example of this. Some people see her as a monster so decided that anything was ok to say about her when she died. Prince Phillip is kind of like a Thatcher-lite in that regard.
I think it's just generally nice to not be putting the boot into someone who's just died. Nobody gains from it.
Rule of thumb: does he/she leave the world poorer for them not being in it, or improved?

If the above does not produce a clear answer: did he/she try to improve the world when they were in it?

For me, the likes of Thatcher fail on the first question, whereas Phil the Greek, and I feel I'm being generous here, gets to the second before failing.

1 hour ago, Tynierose said:

You're easy pleased, Limmy is dreadful.

I quite like him but he is horrendously overrated. His comment sections are full of the most patter devoid people on the planet and there's a frightening amount of people that seem to have "liking Limmy" as being an integral part of their personalities. 

ETA his brother is funnier. 

Edited by Stormzy

Guest TheJTS98
23 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Rule of thumb: does he/she leave the world poorer for them not being in it, or improved?

If the above does not produce a clear answer: did he/she try to improve the world when they were in it?

For me, the likes of Thatcher fail on the first question, whereas Phil the Greek, and I feel I'm being generous here, gets to the second before failing.

Firstly, I'm aware this isn't the politics thread, and I apologise for going down that route.

However, your answer on the Thatcher question depends on who you ask. I'm no Thatcherite. as I've said on here before, I'm not even a capitalist. But I don't doubt her sincerity in what she was doing and some people who own homes now that they couldn't have owned before will tell you that Thatcher was a hero. Or people who made money they'd never previously dreamed of in The City. Some people from my home town will have a completely different view on that. My point is that it's subjective.

Equally, how much power did Prince Phillip really have to deviate from his course? I'd struggle to offer anyone any guarantees that I'd have done much better with his hand in life. If you can, then fair enough.

This is part of the wider issue with a polarised society. You get certain views within certain groups that become accepted facts that other groups simply do not recognise because their experiences are completely different. There are plenty of people you could meet who would absolutely and sincerely fail to understand why you wouldn't be grateful to Maggie.

That's why I just think that the issue of sticking the boot into a dead person is always just best avoided. We all only see it from our point of view. But that's not the only one.

Edited by TheJTS98