Prince Philip Deid

19 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Did it not occur to you that they're Catholics?

And that none of use the term to mean anything other than how I described it? I know a priest who uses the term FFS. One that did our wedding and I've been friends with for 25 years.

This is as fkn stupid as white people compalining about black people calling each other the N word.

What was the context of him using FFS at a wedding? Did he spill his soup on his cassock?

Guest TheJTS98
6 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Without wishing to stir things, this ovoid jangler has no problem with the term's use.

5 minutes ago, Sweet Pete said:

This ovoid jangler does.

As a half-and-half, I think I'm qualified to say this calls for a mass debate.

I love the double standards about who it's okay to make jokes about. A musician once died that affected me and almost every comment was "lol he's dead" type of stuff. Generally speaking it's not something worth getting bothered about but it does seem like a lot of people want to change the rules dependant on their personal views on people. This was noticable to me with Twitter patting themselves on the back for making Philip jokes all day and then when DMX died getting all upset and outraged that some people brought up his homophobic history. 

Guest TheJTS98
6 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Take them to Murrayfield and get them converted.

Rarely much of a scrum to get into church these days.

Guest TheJTS98
7 minutes ago, Stormzy said:

I love the double standards about who it's okay to make jokes about. A musician once died that affected me and almost every comment was "lol he's dead" type of stuff. Generally speaking it's not something worth getting bothered about but it does seem like a lot of people want to change the rules dependant on their personal views on people. This was noticable to me with Twitter patting themselves on the back for making Philip jokes all day and then when DMX died getting all upset and outraged that some people brought up his homophobic history. 

I suppose it's partly to do with how polarised things are. I doubt that's as new as some like to make out, but it certainly has an effect.

Certain groups see certain people as fair game and certain others as completely off-limits for joking about.

There's no way to say this without sounding like a 20th century Boys Brigade leader, but I suppose it comes down to your personal standards. Either you think making fun of people who have just died is ok or you don't.

Thatcher dying was a good example of this. Some people see her as a monster so decided that anything was ok to say about her when she died. Prince Phillip is kind of like a Thatcher-lite in that regard.

I think it's just generally nice to not be putting the boot into someone who's just died. Nobody gains from it.

I dunno Thatcher's death prompted the entry of this into Scotland's cultural pantheon and nobody on this earth can convince me we're not richer for it

Last scene buckles me every time, but also the bit where he says "welding ships thegither" tickles me just right

2 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

You're easy pleased, Limmy is dreadful.

Well I fairness, I have recently in this very thread been accused of being rather childish, so you have to factor that in. 

Spoiler

Tap in on a height joke there for you too. 

2 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I agree with you on this, but it raises an interesting idea.

I think that the public response to Philip's death is largely manufactured and in most cases, decidedly insincere.  There clearly are some people, however, who are genuinely upset by this news.  I really do find it baffling, but that doesn't alter the fact of it.

As a genuine question, have posters ever felt saddened by the death of a public figure?  I don't think I can ever really say I have been to be honest, but I think such sentiment is legitimate enough if the person in question's work means a lot to you.  The age of the person and the nature of his/her death might also have an impact of course.

Glenn Frey from the Eagles, grew up with the music, my dad was a massive fan, because he doesnt keep well we listened to the Eagles alot, was fortunate to see them live a few times before he died. I loved how kinda frank he was too. 
Robin Williams dying made me feel really sad, one of my all time heroes but someone you could see had some real issues, a guy who genuinely seemed to bring nothing but laughter to people yet seemingly had so much sadness internally. 
Davie Cooper dying just after his return to Clydebank was a sad moment, I was a ballboy at Kilbowie, coop was always really decent to us and hearing all the stories about him back in the day and his talent it was so exciting to have him at Clydebank again, got number 7 printed on my jersey and couldnt believe when my dad told me, I was 8 at the time.

I dont really get the hysterical outpourings of grief over the DoE, whatever your feelings (and id abolish the monarchy tomorrow and hand Andy over to the fbi) on the Royals he was an auld man who lived through a number of medical complications in later life and had access to some of the best health care in the world, he had a good innings. Personally thought he was a racist guy but some of the patter he had was funny (that doesnt outweigh the former). Some say he was a devoted servant or whatever and in the context they see him fair play to him, im sure a lot of good was done in his name via some charities. In later life he absolutely exemplified privilege with the stuff over his driving. 
But on the whole if you liked the guy and what he stands for or perhaps benefitted from a charity he put his name to then maybe you feel a debt of gratitude or whatever but this sycophantic stuff is absolutely over the top. Get the flegs at half mast, have a wee minutes silence or whatever but this shite with billboards in shops and everyone seemingly competing to be more upset than the next or private companies ‘showing respect’ is actually in my view very tacky, i mean genuinely who gives a f**k that waitrose is very sad? I feel sorry for his family loosing their dad, granda etc but ultimately he lived a very long life, seemingly had nothing left to achieve or whatever so why not actually respect the old guys wishes and not make a fuss. The BBC tv and radio coverage is absolutely mental, they continually go on about ‘oh he wouldnt want a fuss’ then continue to do exactly what he wouldnt apparently have wanted.
I’ve seen it labelled ‘a tragedy’ etc, no an old man living a very long and full life is not a tragedy, its a marvel, a child dying of hunger or abuse or a wee baby dying of cot death etc is a tragedy.  People getting all worked up about a man to the extent they travel to palaces to show just how staunch they are are absolutely for the watching. 

33 minutes ago, Pato said:

I dunno Thatcher's death prompted the entry of this into Scotland's cultural pantheon and nobody on this earth can convince me we're not richer for it

30 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
33 minutes ago, Pato said:

Last scene buckles me every time, but also the bit where he says "welding ships thegither" tickles me just right

Love any excuse to say "these were men wae a trade!"