Prince Philip Deid

56 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

I mean, technically she's right. There would have been a lot more people at home than at a castle.

Maybe I'm being whooshed but the irony was that she herself hadn't ignored it.

Just now, Gaz said:

You don't think the term "bead rattlers" has sectarian connotations?

Oh I see 😂. No, not even slightly, it's a term Catholics use.

It refers to a very small group of Catholics - the old ladies that sit at the back of the chapel for half the week hammering out as many rosaries as they can before going to see the big man. They're fans of Medugorje and kinda wish the mass was still in Latin. They do all the cleaning in the church, often the priest's ironing (all unpaid, of course) and they think they own the place.

Equating "bead-rattler" with all Catholics is pretty offensive tbh. It's like equating Sharia with all Muslims. I would have thought it was very obvious what the term meant, especially to Scottish people.

FWIW, and not that it matters, I was raised Catholic. 13 years at Catholic schools in Glasgow. I probably have a couple of sets of rosary beads knocking around in a drawer somewhere.

I'm unsurprised the board's resident infants might want to turn this into some playground bullshit, because that's all they're capable of.

24 minutes ago, velo army said:

I don't think you need to have met someone to feel the impact. People who were part of the magic of your childhood (Maradona, for instance) or whose work impacted you.

A lot of the outpouring for the Duke will be genuine. There are those for whom he represents (rightly or wrongly) the passing of a particular England/Britain.

Yes, I think someone who provided a backdrop to formative years can matter.   Musicians can certainly have a particular resonance for people.  Suicides, as in 'real life' have the potential even remotely, to be especially distressing.

Another theme seems to be that if people are genuinely grieving, then a death that's more removed, can trigger difficult emotions.

I suppose, one of the issues concerns the  struggle to understand how royalty can mean so much to people.  The fact that most posters are relatively young maybe plays a part in a collective indifference on here.  The fact that most are Scottish is also likely to matter.

I don't suppose most of us would mind too much if we only saw the odd glimpse of people expressing sadness.  The problem is the that it all seems so forced and forceful.  

16 minutes ago, badgerthewitness said:

Rik Mayall was the only celebrity death I've felt genuinely sad about but only briefly. It was difficult to remember the guy without absolutely pissing myself at how funny he was, despite the tragedy of his later years.

I've had a few affect me a bit. Jock Stein, John Smith, Davie Cooper, Phil O'Donnell, Bill Hicks, Amy Winehouse and Victoria Wood spring to mind.

But nothing that would have encouraged me to drive to their house, lay flowers and cry for a week. That's not healthy.

4 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

There you have it Gaz. YOU are the one being offensive by suggesting that might be offensive emoji1787.pngemoji23.pngemoji1787.png

Right on cue, playground infant turns up.

I'm not going to be your Monkey Tennis on this one. Cheerio.

ETA - Ah fk it, one last swing so I can be done.

I was raised Catholic, half my family are Catholic, my wife is Catholic, I was married in a Catholic church, my eldest was baptised Catholic, I send both my kids to Catholic schools - both starting at non-denominational but switching them to the Catholic schools because they have a better ethos.

And I know exactly what the resident bellends will be desperate to type in response to that; "some of my best friends are Catholic."

I know what the term bead-rattlers means, and I'm not interested in the opinions of those who pretend to be stupid in order to score points on social media.

Edited by GordonS

47 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I agree with you on this, but it raises an interesting idea.

I think that the public response to Philip's death is largely manufactured and in most cases, decidedly insincere.  There clearly are some people, however, who are genuinely upset by this news.  I really do find it baffling, but that doesn't alter the fact of it.

As a genuine question, have posters ever felt saddened by the death of a public figure?  I don't think I can ever really say I have been to be honest, but I think such sentiment is legitimate enough if the person in question's work means a lot to you.  The age of the person and the nature of his/her death might also have an impact of course.

I was very sad when George Michael and  Rik Mayall died, never a mega fan of either but I was the same age as George and 5 years younger than Rik so had seen them from their first appearances on TV through to being superstars.

I was probably the same with others but I think if its someone of a similar age or someone young you are bound to feel it sad at them going but these people grieving for a 99 year old that did everything in life that he wanted to are simply attention seeking cuntos.

My Grandad died a 96 year old in November 2004 and I did not grieve at all, I had visited him in the January that year in the old folks home when he had just got back from the pub and he was content.

I got a call from Mum about it as I was living abroad and she just said don't come home for the funeral, your Grandad would be annoyed at money chucked away so I just got pissed.

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I agree with you on this, but it raises an interesting idea.

I think that the public response to Philip's death is largely manufactured and in most cases, decidedly insincere.  There clearly are some people, however, who are genuinely upset by this news.  I really do find it baffling, but that doesn't alter the fact of it.

As a genuine question, have posters ever felt saddened by the death of a public figure?  I don't think I can ever really say I have been to be honest, but I think such sentiment is legitimate enough if the person in question's work means a lot to you.  The age of the person and the nature of his/her death might also have an impact of course.

I reckon it's quite legitimate to be upset at the loss of someone who you don't know personally, but there are, as you say, different drivers for the emotions. There have been a few personalities (for want of a better word*) whose deaths have affected me over the years - I was devastated at the murder of John Lennon, for instance. There will be many who struggled to cope with Kurt Cobain's demise, and I can empathise, as he would clearly have been able, positive treatment outcomes willing, to produce more of what they liked. The same applies to fellow 27 club members Jimi, Janis, and (maybe, not convinced he hadn't already peaked creatively) Morrison. 

The loss of any artist has to be balanced against the stage of their productive life they had reached before dying. I still can't hear or see any work of terry Pratchett without remembering with a heartfelt sorrow that there will never again be the joy of cracking open a new Discworld book, and the death of Iain Banks was only softened for me by the fact I had a few of his back-catalogue still to discover. I'm savouring each and every release by Stephen King, as well - one of them will be his last, and it can't be long now.

The point I make above is easily illustrated by two of popular music's elder statesmen - The Rolling Stones have long been nothing other than their own tribute act, so Sir Mick dying will, for me, be a case of an old man checking out at an appropriate time. We won't be losing a new "Satisfaction" or "Brown Sugar". When Neil Young finally shuffles off, he'll leave a massive hole in my life as, after nearly sixty years as a recording artist, he's still recording and releasing relevant material, still rattling the cages of US politics, still actively supporting oppressed groups, just basically still being yer everday Godlike Genius. 

The common factor with all those listed - yes. even Cobain - is that, by their contribution,  they enriched the lives of others, and the world lost a creator when they passed away. This elderly Greek and his family have done precisely the opposite, not just by leeching financially from this country but by existing as some kind og "higher caste" which us plebians could never aspire to emulate, so we should just wave our wee flags and idolise the Special Ones. I hope , and would pray if there were anything listening, that this is the beginning of the end for this whole nonsense of a shitshow. 

So, yeah. Elderly racist dies. Wouldn't even make the inside pages of the Kilmarnock Standard. I feel much more saddened by the death of the lassie from Big Brother, who I hadn't heard of until now. There are too many people sucked into the public eye for others' enrichment, and left to drift when the GBP move onto the next "celeb". She's far from the first, and nothing is more certain than she will be far from the last. And you know what? We all have to share a wee bit responsibility for that. 

* Reading back, I'd say "artist" is a afir description of the names I came up with.

Edited by WhiteRoseKillie

I was pretty gutted when Kurt Vonnegut died. I've read more or less every word he's written and despite being an extremely old lifelong chain smoker it kind of felt like he'd be hanging about commenting on shit forever. Wouldn't say I shed a year or anything, but if he lived nearby I'd definitely have wandered over to pay my respects or fire down a bunch of flowers or something 

Edited by madwullie

9 minutes ago, GordonS said:

I've had a few affect me a bit. Jock Stein, John Smith, Davie Cooper, Phil O'Donnell, Bill Hicks, Amy Winehouse and Victoria Wood spring to mind.

But nothing that would have encouraged me to drive to their house, lay flowers and cry for a week. That's not healthy.

I love it how you’ve included a couple of Catholics to this list in a desperate attempt to convince the forum that you aren’t in the Orange order.

10 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

I reckon it's quite legitimate to be upset at the loss of someone who you don't know personally, but there are, as you say, different drivers for the emotions. There have been a few personalities (for want of a better word*) whose deaths have affected me over the years - I was devastated at the murder of John Lennon, for instance. There will be many who struggled to cope with Kurt Cobain's demise, and I can empathise, as he would clearly have been able, positive treatment outcomes willing, to produce more of what they liked. The same applies to fellow 27 club members Jimi, Janis, and (maybe, not convinced he hadn't already peaked creatively) Morrison. 

The loss of any artist has to be balanced against the stage of their productive life they had reached before dying. I still can't hear or see any work of terry Pratchett without remembering with a heartfelt sorrow that there will never again be the joy of cracking open a new Discworld book, and the death of Iain Banks was only softened for me by the fact I had a few of his back-catalogue still to discover. I'm savouring each and every release by Stephen King, as well - one of them will be his last, and it can't be long now.

The point I make above is easily illustrated by two of popular music's elder statesmen - The Rolling Stones have long been nothing other than their own tribute act, so Sir Mick dying will, for me, be a case of an old man checking out at an appropriate time. We won't be losing a new "Satisfaction" or "Brown Sugar". When Neil Young finally shuffles off, he'll leave a massive hole in my life as, after nearly sixty years as a recording artist, he's still recording and releasing relevant material, still rattling the cages of US politics, still actively supporting oppressed groups, just basically still being yer everday Godlike Genius. 

The common factor with all those listed - yes. even Cobain - is that, by their contribution,  they enriched the lives of others, and the world lost a creator when they passed away. This elderly Greek and his family have done precisely the opposite, not just by leeching financially from this country but by existing as some kind og "higher caste" which us plebians could never aspire to emulate, so we should just wave our wee flags and idolise the Special Ones. I hope , and would pray if there were anything listening, that this is the beginning of the end for this whole nonsense of a shitshow. 

So, yeah. Elderly racist dies. Wouldn't even make the inside pages of the Kilmarnock Standard. I feel much more saddened by the death of the lassie from Big Brother, who I hadn't heard of until now. There are too many people sucked into the public eye for others' enrichment, and left to drift when the GBP move onto the next "celeb". She's far from the first, and nothing is more certain than she will be far from the last. And you know what? We all have to share a wee bit responsibility for that. 

* Reading back, I'd say "artist" is a afir description of the names I came up with.

Greenie for most of it, but most of all because I will never again know the joy of a new Discworld Novel. I really miss Terry Pratchett

52 minutes ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

Fernando Ricksen hit hard, the documentary covering his suffering was hard to watch, unimaginable what he was going through. Him struggling to take a penalty at a testimonial game... that's one of the worst I can think of, MND is just awful.

Outside of that, I remember feeling a little bit of sadness at Alan Rickman and Christopher Lee dying off the top of my head.

If somebody committed suicide by jumping off of my head, I'd probably be sad, too.

@GordonS

"It's a term Catholics use". I've never heard a single Catholic say it. I've only ever heard it used by non-Catholics in a derogatory manner towards Catholics. As for it being insensitive or offensive for several people to have pulled you up for using such derogatory language, well that's just about the stupidest doubling down bullshit I've ever seen. You also accuse others of pretending to be stupid, when that is literally the tactic you're using, and forewarn others against accusations of defending yourself by having Catholic friends. You're describing your own actions. Incredible. I don't think I've ever seen a worse attempt at defence or justification.

This isn't playground infant behaviour no matter how desperately you try and deflect it as such. You've been pulled up for saying something derogatory and you're not mature enough to take your medicine like an adult and move on. That's what's playground here.

18 hours ago, Marshmallo said:

You can't type T I M on here but "bead-rattlers" is allowed? OK.

No, its not allowed, which is why the post has been removed. Presumably because you reported it. I mean, you did report it, right? You wouldnt just quote it to complain, would you?

1 minute ago, Sweet Pete said:

@GordonS

"It's a term Catholics use". I've never heard a single Catholic say it. I've only ever heard it used by non-Catholics in a derogatory manner towards Catholics. As for it being insensitive or offensive for several people to have pulled you up for using such derogatory language, well that's just about the stupidest doubling down bullshit I've ever seen. You also accuse others of pretending to be stupid, when that is literally the tactic you're using, and forewarn others against accusations of defending yourself by having Catholic friends. You're describing your own actions. Incredible. I don't think I've ever seen a worse attempt at defence or justification.

This isn't playground infant behaviour no matter how desperately you try and deflect it as such. You've been pulled up for saying something derogatory and you're not mature enough to take your medicine like an adult and move on. That's what's playground here.

Bollocks.

I'll not use the term here again because it's obviously not as widely understood as I thought, but I'll certainly keep using it among my friends, because they know what it means.

And I'm done with this.

15 minutes ago, throbber said:

I love it how you’ve included a couple of Catholics to this list in a desperate attempt to convince the forum that you aren’t in the Orange order.

Bloody sash ironers, eh?!