Prince Philip Deid

1 minute ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I agree with you on this, but it raises an interesting idea.

I think that the public response to Philip's death is largely manufactured and in most cases, decidedly insincere.  There clearly are some people, however, who are genuinely upset by this news.  I really do find it baffling, but that doesn't alter the fact of it.

As a genuine question, have posters ever felt saddened by the death of a public figure?  I don't think I can ever really say I have been to be honest, but I think such sentiment is legitimate enough if the person in question's work means a lot to you.  The age of the person and the nature of his/her death might also have an impact of course.

The one that really gutted me was David Bowie, happened not long after my mum died & the orchestral tribute to him at TITP had me in floods of tears as it released a lot of emotion I had supressed.

When Diana died there were lots of floral tributes laid down at Holyrood Palace (tbh I went there out of curiosity and walked past them all shaking my head. But I'm a traitorous republican) 

I passed the Palace last night and apart from a few bored looking polis and the flag flying at half mast I didn't see any flowers. I can't believe Edinburgh doesn't have any buckled Royalists who would leave a tribute so do the staff remove any flowers at night?

I think that the public response to Philip's death is largely manufactured and in most cases, decidedly insincere.  There clearly are some people, however, who are genuinely upset by this news.  I really do find it baffling, but that doesn't alter the fact of it.
As a genuine question, have posters ever felt saddened by the death of a public figure?  I don't think I can ever really say I have been to be honest, but I think such sentiment is legitimate enough if the person in question's work means a lot to you.  The age of the person and the nature of his/her death might also have an impact of course.
Certainly know a few on here were upset by the boy from Frightened Rabbit.

I got quite upset when Tito Vilanova died, mainly because it was shortly after losing a family member to cancer and it opened it all up again.

13 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Barry Chuckle. 

14 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I was quite sad when Freddie Mercury died. I mean, I wasn’t crying or anything but it definitely saddened me. Can’t really think of anyone else off the top of my head though. 

Re: Denmark

The Germans invaded Denmark on bicycles stolen from the Netherlands.  Simon Kuper's book "Football against the enemy" mentioned that the Dutch chant whenever they played the Germans was "Give us back our bicycles"

(NB the Japanese invaded the British colony of Singapore on bicycles too)

5 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

For some reason, I was saddened by the death of Charles Kennedy.

Never met the guy, and he was never going to get my vote or win me over to the Lib Dems. He just seemed to have a shred of honesty that most politicians don't. It was a shame he died so young, but given his fondness for copious amounts of whisky that was always on the cards. ( I never cried, or any of that nonsense, just felt sad that one of the relatively good guys in politics had gone).

15 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Don't think I have, tbh, and there's been a right few in my 68 years. There's a few times I've said "Och, that's too bad", and a lot more that have made me aware of my own mortality, but I'm struggling to remember if I've felt sad, as when friends and family die.

I was genuinely saddened by Aviici dying in 2018 which was around the same time as the lead singer from Frightened Rabbit. I also remember Gary Speeds death being particularly saddening, he was on football focus that morning and went to a football game and then went on to take his own life that very evening.

Guest TheJTS98

I remember the death of Liam Miller seemed particularly unfair to me. A young guy who had clearly been fit as a fiddle and must have done pretty much everything a doctor would recommend, gone at 36 through what can only be described as the worst case of 'one of those things' imaginable. Seemed desperately sad to me.

Not floods of tears sad, but it definitely made an impact.

3 hours ago, San Starko Rover said:

c***s like that are clearly mental, imagine getting choked up because someone you don’t know has died, the only ones who should feel anything are his family and friends. 90% of the idiots on my social media posting pictures of him are the same ones who want to deport all immigrants but here they are teared up over Philip who if he wasn’t Royalty they’d be demanding he go back to where he came from or at least stopped at a closer country after Greece punted him.

largely agree with this but I must admit I was quite down when Leonard Nimoy died....

William McIlvanney for me. Genuinely thought I'd get to meet him as his books impacted me in a way I never thought possible.

I don't think you need to have met someone to feel the impact. People who were part of the magic of your childhood (Maradona, for instance) or whose work impacted you.

A lot of the outpouring for the Duke will be genuine. There are those for whom he represents (rightly or wrongly) the passing of a particular England/Britain.

1 hour ago, GordonD said:

I saw that. My irony meter exploded at the woman who said, "Fortunately most people have obeyed the request not to turn up here."

It was fortunate because it meant she got her face shown on the telly, which was her objective in the first place.

Fernando Ricksen hit hard, the documentary covering his suffering was hard to watch, unimaginable what he was going through. Him struggling to take a penalty at a testimonial game... that's one of the worst I can think of, MND is just awful.

Outside of that, I remember feeling a little bit of sadness at Alan Rickman and Christopher Lee dying off the top of my head.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

To peer into the future, I will definitely feel a tinge when Doddie (beautifully autocorrected to Doddington there) Weir eventually loses his battle. I think when you see younger folk fighting hard and trying to make a difference it touches you a bit more.

Billy Connolly, I think will be a sickener too come the time. Suppose its all about how these people are built into your memories and what they reflect in your own life.

Bit morbid to be pre empting these things but just trying to think what the circumstances are where a strangers death might affect you.

Important to note that its highly unlikely I'd shed a tear, never mind travel to London for a look at me mourning session. Just to keep it all in context....

4 hours ago, Sweet Pete said:

Don't try and play coy and don't feign ignorance. If you're going to let your prejudices shine through then at least be man enough to stand by them. Shitebag.

I literally have no idea wtf you're talking about.

Edit - is it because I used the word h*ns? If so, I don't care.

Edited by GordonS

Rik Mayall was the only celebrity death I've felt genuinely sad about but only briefly. It was difficult to remember the guy without absolutely pissing myself at how funny he was, despite the tragedy of his later years.

Edit: lol that reminds me, "Her Maj's vag!" 😂

Edited by badgerthewitness
Maj's vag

5 minutes ago, GordonS said:

I literally have no idea wtf you're talking about.

Edit - is it because I used the word h*ns? If so, I don't care.

You don't think the term "bead rattlers" has sectarian connotations?