Prince Philip Deid

11 minutes ago, TheJTS98 said:

That's true. And part of the issue is that there just isn't a real role any more for Royals. Society and politics have moved on.

What's Camilla meant to do when Charles becomes King, for example? Who is going to take her seriously in any kind of political role? Why should they?

Prince Phillip had a naval career and was seemingly quite good at that. Then suddenly that's over and he spends 70 years trying to keep busy. That must be a weird life and I don't envy him it.

I think a lot of the "gaffes" might have been down to him being bored and wanting to cause a bit of friction to liven things up...I can only imagine what it must be like being dragged round factories or wherever and meeting people that you've got absolutely no interest in decade after decade. In a way it's almost understandable that he adopted the general demeanour of a septuagenarian stroppy teenager.

35 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I don't think humour/digs around a highly controversial 99 year old dying is the same as laughing at a young lassie who struggled with an eating disorder for years and eventually died from it

Its a fair point you raise, there is quite a lot of times where a death or accident gets joked about on here. Sometimes for years after the event.  I think most folk instinctively know where the line is though. 

I just don't think there is a shred of humour in laughing at someone who died of anorexia personally. 

The sad thing is some people are easier to laugh at than others after they have died. Prince Philip is about as easy as it gets to crack at joke at on account of his age, status, wealth and the fact he was a racist.

I suppose the line you’re talking about comes from a combination of who the dead person was, how they died and whether or not the joke was funny. I’ve cracked jokes and laughed at some things that were cracked in the immediate aftermath of someone’s death but there has always been something actually funny being said in the joke. I’ve also been absolutely horrified in the company of people who are doing the same thing but it’s apparent they are just being dicks and laughing at the dead for the sake of it,cracking unfunny jokes without any sort of funny punchline. The case of the just eat stuff is completely unfunny shite poking fun at mental illness and a young person dying, I don’t think anyone could possibly find it funny because there isn’t anything laughable being presented.

I’m inclined to agree, but who’s for us to police what is acceptable for jokes and what isn’t? 
For example there are plenty of jokes made without comment about things like 9/11 where thousands died, yet it’s unacceptable to make a joke in this instance. There’s always going to be a line for each individual, just think they are blurred very easily.
The only thing I would be inclined to add is that its pretty easy to draw a line from poor attitudes towards mental health, and the unnecessary suffering of millions of people in this country. On that basis, I personally see mental health as generally off limits for humour. We have a huge societal problem with this sort of thing.

We don't have a huge societal problem with the deaths of 99 year old guys who have led an unthinkably wealthy and luxurious life.

6 minutes ago, throbber said:

The sad thing is some people are easier to laugh at than others after they have died. Prince Philip is about as easy as it gets to crack at joke at on account of his age, status, wealth and the fact he was a racist.

I suppose the line you’re talking about comes from a combination of who the dead person was, how they died and whether or not the joke was funny. I’ve cracked jokes and laughed at some things that were cracked in the immediate aftermath of someone’s death but there has always been something actually funny being said in the joke. I’ve also been absolutely horrified in the company of people who are doing the same thing but it’s apparent they are just being dicks and laughing at the dead for the sake of it,cracking unfunny jokes without any sort of funny punchline. The case of the just eat stuff is completely unfunny shite poking fun at mental illness and a young person dying, I don’t think anyone could possibly find it funny because there isn’t anything laughable being presented.

"My sense of humour is more acceptable than your sense of humour" type post.

4 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

The only thing I would be inclined to add is that its pretty easy to draw a line from poor attitudes towards mental health, and the unnecessary suffering of millions of people in this country. On that basis, I personally see mental health as generally off limits for humour. We have a huge societal problem with this sort of thing.

We don't have a huge societal problem with the deaths of 99 year old guys who have led an unthinkably wealthy and luxurious life.

Generally I agree with this. I personally don’t find jokes about mental health issues and death funny in the slightest (e.g. on here when Chester Bennington killed himself it was open season for “In the end it doesn’t even matter” jokes), but without wanting to go full Ricky Gervais on it, I hate the idea that because a joke offends someone it should be banned/censored. Humour varies person to person and people are more than welcome to find jokes offensive and give someone stick for them, but they shouldn’t be allowed to use offence to have censorship.

If you’re some weirdo royalist like that guy with the Union Jack hat, then the Prince Philip jokes would be incredibly offensive and upsetting, but I find them hilarious, and he has no right to demand they are not allowed.

Are you punching up or punching down would be my first port of call.

Arguably the lassie was a celebrity but I doubt she had any more wealth, power and status than many folk on here. 

Princess Diana and John Prescotts bulimia seemed to be fair game at the time  but it didn't kill them and I doubt these days it would be.

2 hours ago, mizfit said:

Watched the news before MOTD Last night and I couldn’t believe some of the general public they’d interviewed.

One woman was crying saying she felt a calling to windsor castle to pay her respects.

The c**t would’ve walked past the other c**t in the street and not batted and eyelid.

I saw that. My irony meter exploded at the woman who said, "Fortunately most people have obeyed the request not to turn up here."

1 hour ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

I’m inclined to agree, but who’s for us to police what is acceptable for jokes and what isn’t? 

Exactly this. You see it all over the forum where an obscure person dies of cancer and its a joke-a-thon in certain parts of the forum. The same folk then react angrily and shocked at 'jokes' when it's someone they see more often in their TV's that dies from the same disease. 

1 minute ago, invergowrie arab said:

Are you punching up or punching down would be my first port of call.

This for me. 

Also, what is actually being made fun of? The poster who used the Lassie's "who is she" phrase was using her catchphrase to make fun of the fuss being made. Punching up by pointing out hypocrisy and also paying a sort of affectionate tribute. It skilfully manages to poke fun without punching down.

Jokes about eating disorders that are clearly just cruel jibes shouldnt be off limits per se, but be prepared to be held firmly to account. It's just using someone else's misery to elevate yourself. Cuntish behaviour.

Making fun of the chooky's death has many facets. None of the jokes are pointing and laughing at an old man for dying, they're pointing and poking at the deification in death of a man who many see as part of a parasitic institution that benefited nobody but its members. There was also his use of position to point and laugh at those beneath him. 

Id also say that if you are offended by jokes about the Duke, let it be known. We could be stepping into unknown sensitive territory. 

21 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

"My sense of humour is more acceptable than your sense of humour" type post.

I’ve practically concerned that in my post but the point is largely about perception and context.

18 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Generally I agree with this. I personally don’t find jokes about mental health issues and death funny in the slightest (e.g. on here when Chester Bennington killed himself it was open season for “In the end it doesn’t even matter” jokes), but without wanting to go full Ricky Gervais on it, I hate the idea that because a joke offends someone it should be banned/censored. Humour varies person to person and people are more than welcome to find jokes offensive and give someone stick for them, but they shouldn’t be allowed to use offence to have censorship.

If you’re some weirdo royalist like that guy with the Union Jack hat, then the Prince Philip jokes would be incredibly offensive and upsetting, but I find them hilarious, and he has no right to demand they are not allowed.

All fair. 

Tbh, I rarely pull folk for jokes, mental health ones just seem a bit off colour to me in this day and age. Maybe I overreact to them. I don't know. This forum just always seems to be well policed on mental health matters and it sort of came naturally to me to call those particular posts out. Maybe its a reflex and we all have different ones. I do tend to subscribe to the theory that stand up comedians for example, can say whatever the f**k they want, since its their job and if they cross the line I (speaking as a member of the public as much as me personally) will simply shun their product and their wages will suffer. 

Well now.... This is all a bit sensible for a Sunday on here. 

3 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

All fair. 

Tbh, I rarely pull folk for jokes, mental health ones just seem a bit off colour to me in this day and age. Maybe I overreact to them. I don't know. This forum just always seems to be well policed on mental health matters and it sort of came naturally to me to call those particular posts out. Maybe its a reflex and we all have different ones. I do tend to subscribe to the theory that stand up comedians for example, can say whatever the f**k they want, since its their job and if they cross the line I (speaking as a member of the public as much as me personally) will simply shun their product and their wages will suffer. 

Well now.... This is all a bit sensible for a Sunday on here. 

Where’s Wattoo so he can tell someone to f**k off and die to light this candle.

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:
5 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:
Where’s Wattoo so he can tell someone to f**k off and die to light this candle.

We do have all the pieces in place for a Wattoo/Ayrmad type contribution tbh, including the resurrection of a certain thread.

Well, it was Easter last week, after all.

2 hours ago, San Starko Rover said:

c***s like that are clearly mental, imagine getting choked up because someone you don’t know has died, the only ones who should feel anything are his family and friends. 

I agree with you on this, but it raises an interesting idea.

I think that the public response to Philip's death is largely manufactured and in most cases, decidedly insincere.  There clearly are some people, however, who are genuinely upset by this news.  I really do find it baffling, but that doesn't alter the fact of it.

As a genuine question, have posters ever felt saddened by the death of a public figure?  I don't think I can ever really say I have been to be honest, but I think such sentiment is legitimate enough if the person in question's work means a lot to you.  The age of the person and the nature of his/her death might also have an impact of course.

2 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

As an aside, The Express have decided to combine their two favourite themes.....utter deference to the Royals, and complete hatred of the SNP....into one headline this morning.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1421513/nicola-sturgeon-news-SNP-supporters-mock-prince-Philip-death-funeral-royal-family-latest

Some things in this country are so dependable and predictable. Their standards are getting sloppy though, no mention of Diana in that article. 

36 minutes ago, GordonD said:

I saw that. My irony meter exploded at the woman who said, "Fortunately most people have obeyed the request not to turn up here."

I mean, technically she's right. There would have been a lot more people at home than at a castle.