Prince Philip Deid

24 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Were you and monkey tennis best mates in the sense of humour bypass ward as children?

If you think boring, tired, gammony pish is funny then have at it.

Edited by DA Baracus

5 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

It was a fashion for newly independent countries to have constitutional monarchs foisted on them- mainly Germans. In the 19th Century Greece, Romania and Bulgaria* all got German monarchs.

In 1913 the Dutch Prince Wilhelm was foisted on Albania but they soon gave him the bum's rush. Finland was also meant to have a King but he got the boot too. As late as WWII this sort of thing was going on as an Italian Prince was offered the Crown of the fascist Croatian state.

*In 1945 the Soviets kicked out the young King Simeon of Bulgaria. After the fall of Communism there he returned from exile and was elected Prime Minister as Simeon Saxe-Coburg Gotha. He is distantly related to Lizzy.

The idea being that the monarchs could use their family ties to keep any seething resentment/nationalist politics of their pleb subjects at bay.

Which of course worked out well with the blood cousins ruling the UK, Germany and Russia sorting everything out in the summer of 1914. 

2 minutes ago, virginton said:

The idea being that the monarchs could use their family ties to keep any seething resentment/nationalist politics of their pleb subjects at bay.

Which of course worked out well with the blood cousins ruling the UK, Germany and Russia sorting everything out in the summer of 1914. 

"Monarch or no monarch you can't expect any good to come from fucking your cousin"

Otto Von Bismarck

(Not really)

(It was Gladstone..)

3 minutes ago, virginton said:

Similar plan to the EU

Hopefully doesn't unravel that spectacularly

6 minutes ago, Binos said:

Similar plan to the EU

Hopefully doesn't unravel that spectacularly

Don't recall the EU parachuting in a bunch of Belgians to run Slovakia and Portugal lately but enjoy your night anyway. 

55 minutes ago, Binos said:

What would Denmark have done against the nazi war machine other than getting lots of its populace killed

They weren't really in a position to mount any serious resistance like Norway did, due to the twin factors of being physically joined on to Germany and also topographically flat as a witches tit which would have suited a mechanised invasion force down to the ground. They'd also made a point of keeping their army small and lightly equipped in the run up to WW2 in order to avoid antagonising a resurgent Germany.

While they outwardly might have seemed a bit acquiescent to the occupation, the Danes were as subversive as they could get away with - most people know about the rescue of the Danish Jews, but they actually managed to hold a free election in 1942 or 1943 in which the Danish Nazi Party polled a hilarious 2% of the vote, with the biggest stushie coming when Hitler sent a long laudatory telegram to the Danish king no doubt expecting similar back only to get a "Yeah, cheers. Christian." which offended him hugely.

Sherlock Hudson-Yearsley sounds like one of those names you read at the bottom of the vidiprinter scoring in the 54th minute for Forest Green Rovers or something

edit: no fucking way i just googled them (legit to double check they were Rovers and not Forest Green City or the like) and this came up 😐 

wonder if Jordan Moore-Taylor is his older cousin or something

image.png.6393bbef9bceb2c119393405ad3ad2ac.png

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

On 09/04/2021 at 18:27, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I'm actually pretty comfortable with this blanket sycophancy, it's yet another example of the growing desperation of the UK establishment to keep the monarchy relevant when they must know that force feeding this guff to an increasingly disaffected and divided nation will only hasten their demise.  Witness the crowbarring of William and Kate into the Covid situation; two gilded parasites with nothing of purpose to contribute.  When the Queen passes the Glass Palace begins to crack.  Make it happen.

One parasitic benefit scrounger down, one to go, and then this shameless family will bite the dust.

As a licence payer it's disgrace the amount of coverage given to  this Greek tragedy.

His death happened yesterday and I’ve refrained from passing comment other than privately to my partner and posting memes on here but I’ve had multiple lagers and my partner is asleep so this is my method of escape and rant.

I can but also cannot believe the way the county has reacted to his death, the whole “perfectly normal island” meme goes around but it’s so bang on because what the f**k.

The guy was a paedophile, the guy was a racist, the guys life was paid for by us, our taxes paid for his life. We paid for a paedo’s life.

In Scotland players wore an armband for a racist before taking a stand/taking the knee to stand against racism. Where the f**k is the logic in that?

Now because of all of the above in this perfectly normal island football is being moved and the lower leagues in our country are potentially at risk of not finishing because of games being moved because of this. We’re struggling for fixture dates as it is, if Stranraer or Clyde can’t reach the SPFL’s 18 fixtures by the deadline because the SFA have decided to move fixtures because a geriatric has croaked it then we may aswell give up man. 

I’ve actually to an extent defended the conduct of the SFA/SPFL in the past 12 months or so but this is totally mental.

Anyway, I hope everyone has a good night celebrating the fact there is one less racist nazi in the world.

Guest TheJTS98
14 hours ago, Pato said:

5 hours ago, Les Cabbage said:

Now because of all of the above in this perfectly normal island football is being moved and the lower leagues in our country are potentially at risk of not finishing because of games being moved because of this. We’re struggling for fixture dates as it is, if Stranraer or Clyde can’t reach the SPFL’s 18 fixtures by the deadline because the SFA have decided to move fixtures because a geriatric has croaked it then we may aswell give up man. 

The viewing figures are interesting, and not overly surprising.

Regular visitors to the Geopolitics thread will know that I am no fan of China's Communist Party, and am of the view that they are going to struggle in the coming years because they can no longer control the flow of information. Something similar is true of the monarchy.

People aren't engaged by this stuff. And modern information flow makes it easy to show that. The whole idea is on borrowed time. It's one thing saying you support it in a nothing poll, but when it comes to a big event like this, a lot of people are turned off by it and now they get to see how many other people are too. If only traditional media existed, one could be convinced that British people were genuinely gripped and saddened by this. I don't know a single person from any part of the UK who cares. It's hardly been mentioned.

That leads on to the post about football. When people don't care, and they know that most other people don't care, they object to shite like Scottish Cup or League One games being put off for an old guy's funeral that they don't care about. Or Neighbours being cancelled. Or the radio being shite for a day. BBC Four going to a blank page. People start to question why the f**k this nonsense is happening. What for? Society isn't deferential or religious enough for this any more.

We're starting to see that the Royal Family have no clothes. Cancelling stuff for a funeral like this is an own goal. But it's one they have to score otherwise the whole pretence falls apart. The whole idea only works if we accept the monarchy as somehow central to British life. But they simply are not.

Edited by TheJTS98

7 hours ago, Les Cabbage said:

His death happened yesterday and I’ve refrained from passing comment other than privately to my partner and posting memes on here but I’ve had multiple lagers and my partner is asleep so this is my method of escape and rant.

I can but also cannot believe the way the county has reacted to his death, the whole “perfectly normal island” meme goes around but it’s so bang on because what the f**k.

The guy was a paedophile, the guy was a racist, the guys life was paid for by us, our taxes paid for his life. We paid for a paedo’s life.

In Scotland players wore an armband for a racist before taking a stand/taking the knee to stand against racism. Where the f**k is the logic in that?

I’ve actually to an extent defended the conduct of the SFA/SPFL in the past 12 months or so but this is totally mental.

Anyway, I hope everyone has a good night celebrating the fact there is one less racist nazi in the world.

this shit just got real,