Prince Philip Deid

1 hour ago, NorthernLights said:

The BBC have a super quick way for you to complain if you think they're giving this too much coverage.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/contact/death-duke-of-edinburgh-tv-coverage/#/Notification

I was on the phone to my Tory Royalist Daily Express reading Granny last night and she was saying how ridiculous it was that they cancelled Richard Osman's House of Games for coverage of Phil's death. If you've annoyed her with too much Royal coverage then a line's been crossed.

Anyway. I've signed that. I'd love to know how many others have, but I suspect that will never be made public unfortunately. Utterly bizarre from the BBC that makes it look every bit as out of touch and outdated as its critics say it is.

20 hours ago, Dunfermline Don said:

Important questions now need answered.
What happens to youngsters who are doing their Duke of Edinburgh awards?
Does Edinburgh now get a new Duke, if so who?
Does anyone really actually care?

Does anyone know what time it is?

33 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

I was a lot older than that (45), and it baffled me, too.

FWIW I’m not someone who’s be raging if say bbc gave it extended coverage and cancelled some of its regular programming for it. It’s a mystery to me but there’s clearly a demographic out there who this means something to and it’s not my place to stop it.

However, the complete black out of any other news/programming makes it state mandated mourning and I find it very weird. 

8 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I was on the phone to my Tory Royalist Daily Express reading Granny last night and she was saying how ridiculous it was that they cancelled Richard Osman's House of Games for coverage of Phil's death. If you've annoyed her with too much Royal coverage then a line's been crossed.

Anyway. I've signed that. I'd love to know how many others have, but I suspect that will never be made public unfortunately. Utterly bizarre from the BBC that makes it look every bit as out of touch and outdated as its critics say it is.

I'm certain they are just taking email addresses rather than the usual complaint process is so that they can just write it off as people hopping on the bandwagon.

In case anyone missed the news, BBC 1 have another 4 hour special on this morning at 10, once their wall to wall coverage on Breakfast News finishes.

1 minute ago, Dons_1988 said:

FWIW I’m not someone who’s be raging if say bbc gave it extended coverage and cancelled some of its regular programming for it. It’s a mystery to me but there’s clearly a demographic out there who this means something to and it’s not my place to stop it.

However, the complete black out of any other news/programming makes it state mandated mourning and I find it very weird. 

^^^This.

Fine if you want to bin BBC1 for it, but every single channel across TV and Radio? BBC4 didn't even get the courtesy of the simulcast, it just got a placeholder card.

5 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

A qualified man of the people according to the NYT. Answered the phone himself so fair play 

IMG-20210410-WA0000.jpg

He opened doors for himself. You can’t help but be impressed by that. 

Does this mean the others have lackeys running alongside to perform this arduous task for them?

Serious to f**k. If “He opened doors for himself” is the best compliment anyone can come up with for your eulogy; that doesn’t sound much like a life well-lived. 

2 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

He opened doors for himself. You can’t help but be impressed by that. 

Does this mean the others have lackeys running alongside to perform this arduous task for them?

Serious to f**k. If “He opened doors for himself” is the best compliment anyone can come up with for your eulogy; that doesn’t sound much like a life well-lived. 

Yes, others do have lackeys doing such menial tasks for them - you must have seen it on TV etc.  It's used as but one example, amongst many, of how he didn't take kindly to such guff. 

46 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

Even the March of the Day Facebook page put up a status yesterday reporting the news. I made a pretty terrible but relatively inoffensive joke about how Phil was a big part of Ancelotti's AC Milan team of the mid 2000s.

Have just checked Facebook for the first time since and this has made some people very angry. Good.

And this is April...

45 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Can someone point me in the direction of MTs staunch comments? Need a laugh.

You won't find it on this thread.

15 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

I'm certain they are just taking email addresses rather than the usual complaint process is so that they can just write it off as people hopping on the bandwagon.

In case anyone missed the news, BBC 1 have another 4 hour special on this morning at 10, once their wall to wall coverage on Breakfast News finishes.

Thanks for the heads up, one to avoid.

I've a job to price, might head to the contractor's office.

13 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Yes, others do have lackeys doing such menial tasks for them - you must have seen it on TV etc.  It's used as but one example, amongst many, of how he didn't take kindly to such guff. 

Nice to meet you. What line of work are you in?

I stand in a corridor and open the door for rich folk so they can walk through  

Really? And that’s all you do?

No, no, I close the door afterwards and wait for the next rich person to come along.

And you don’t aspire to do anything more than that with your life?

Of course I do. My boss says that if I stick at it,  in another 5 years or so, I can apply for the post of Light Switch Turner Off and Onner. That’s when I’ll know I’ve made it.

Edited by Shotgun

1 minute ago, Shotgun said:

Not to meet you. What line of work are you in?

I stand in a corridor and open the door for some rich folk so they can walk through  

Really? And that’s all you do?

No, no, I close the door afterwards and wait for the next rich person to come through.

And you don’t aspire to do anything more than that with your life?

Of course I do. My boss says that if I stick at it,  in another 5 years or so, I can apply for the post of Light Switch Turner Off and Onner. That’s when I’ll know I’ve made it.

Sounds right up my fucking  street. Accommodation and grub thrown in.

4 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Sounds right up my fucking  street. Accommodation and grub thrown in.

Imagine being the employee who cuts up their food and puts the fork into their mouths for them. Or does somebody chew it first?

3 minutes ago, Pato said:

Aye we need to get rid of the monarchy and have a republic so this nonsense stops happ-

Gordon and Sarah's open door policy | Politics | The Guardian

Holy f**k is that for real?  My career hasn’t exactly been meteoric but I haven’t yet been reduced to that. 

I love how the Loyalist Riots stopped as a mark of respect for the Die...

A number of loyalist protests planned for Friday night were postponed in what posters put up in pro-British areas said was a mark of respect for Queen Elizabeth and the Royal Family following the death of her husband, Prince Philip.

What is an acceptable time to pass before burning down your neighbourhood again? 

Sauce Reuters