Prince Philip Deid

54 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

I couldn't care less about the royals and have been enjoying the various memes etc. However the media coverage has already become unbearable.

I don't really know what I expected. I guess I always thought that Prince Phillip was behind a few others in the Royal pecking order and would only occasionally come into the public eye after saying something mildly racist. It's going to be absolutely unbearable when the Queen finally snuffs it.

I'm the same.  I can't quite believe how nuts it's gone straight away.  They're leaving themselves nowhere to go when the Queen croaks.

I would honestly have expected this to lead and dominate the news, maybe even prompting an extended bulletin and a 2 hour programme either tonight or tomorrow, followed by coverage of the funeral.

I wouldn't for a moment have imagined this though.  He was very old, so it's hardly a shock.  He wasn't Monarch or part of the accession.  He wasn't even that popular, recognised by many as an unpleasant old git.

I'm genuinely shocked and a bit pissed off that telly is getting wiped in honour of it.

Is it the case that someone better dies around the same time as every royal? Dermot Morgan died a day or so apart from Diana.
Did someone else not die really close to her? Mother Teresa maybe?
Father Ted did do a cracking Mother Teresa impersonation to be fair.

2 hours ago, Forest_Fifer said:

Ok, so i can just about accept the BBC have cleared the schedules at the moment for tributes, but all fucking day? And showing the exact same thing across bbc1 and bbc2? Even C4 and C5 are showing stuff.
Wonder how many complaints ofcom will get from anti monarchists? There will be some, but we'll never be told how many.

BBC Four were showing a normal schedule until very recently, which I was pleased with because they've got some football on tonight. But I've just checked there and now it's showing shite for the rest of the day.

An absolute joke of a country.

1 hour ago, Elric said:

Will they try and cancel the footie tomorrow as a mark of respect - did this not happen with Diana?

As @Detournement said, the Scotland v Belarus game scheduled for the day of the funeral was bumped back a day. I was raging, I'd managed to swap shifts for it but couldn't get a swap for the Sunday. I was working in a hotel in Fort William, on the day of the funeral we just laughed at the guests that were upset. Not a single member of staff could have given the tiniest shit.

Just now, Elric said:

If Harry comes over for the funeral will he have to quarantine or will the usual royal exception be made?

Excemtion as a crown servant I would imagine, unless he's really on the shit list and they might tell him to quarantine his ass.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-travellers-exempt-from-uk-border-rules/coronavirus-covid-19-travellers-exempt-from-uk-border-rules#crown-servants-or-government-contractors

14 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I'm the same.  I can't quite believe how nuts it's gone straight away.  They're leaving themselves nowhere to go when the Queen croaks.

I would honestly have expected this to lead and dominate the news, maybe even prompting an extended bulletin and a 2 hour programme either tonight or tomorrow, followed by coverage of the funeral.

I wouldn't for a moment have imagined this though.  He was very old, so it's hardly a shock.  He wasn't Monarch or part of the accession.  He wasn't even that popular, recognised by many as an unpleasant old git.

I'm genuinely shocked and a bit pissed off that telly is getting wiped in honour of it.

The Simpsons is on C4

2 hours ago, Detournement said:

Scotland were playing Belarus in a qualifier and there was a big stushy about it being played on the day of Diana's funeral. McCoist and Goram refused to play. 

The game eventually got shifted to the Sunday. Not sure if it was on TV becuase I was in the ultimate hell of being a wee guy getting dragged round furniture shops with my parents during the game. 

My gran also banned me from playing outside during the funeral so when you combine that with the previous 5 weekdays of no Neighbours on TV it was a really challenging week for me. 

All the above is true, however bear in mind Diana died on Sunday 31st August.

On Monday 1st September the Old Firm were due to meet at Celtic Park. That game got canned. It was eventually played in November (1-1, Marco Negri for Sevco's parent and a last minute equaliser from Alan Stubbs).

Edited by Barney Rubble