Prince Philip Deid

35 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

A lot of people on Facebook are feeling extremely emotional right now because they met Prince Philip for about ten seconds in 1996, and they’ve kindly attached photographs of their meeting with Prince Philip as proof of it happening and as justification for their personal grief.

In fairness, I'm sure we've all felt moved by the death of someone we never knew in person. Nelson Mandela, Jock Stein, Amy Winehouse, whoever, I'm sure we all have someone like that and I'm sure many around here will be sad when Billy Connolly finally pops.

Difference of course is that they all achieved remarkable things in their lives while Prince Phillip achieved absolutely nothing of any use to anyone at all. 

2 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

It's becoming a pile on.

There are people on here who cannot handle it if someone dissents even a wee bit from the groupthink, even when that person is broadly in agreement with the prevailing mood.  And especially when the dissenter is actually correct.

It's a strange thing.  Some nasty we bullies on here who just need the comfort of feeling they're in an environment which permits their antics.

While I agree with you 100%, it's not going to stop as long as you keep going. They're baiting you and then slagging you for taking the bait.

Channel 4 seem to be the most centrist UK broadcaster.  Good to see they aren't drowning in shoe polish from all the licking of boots.

23 minutes ago, GordonS said:

While I agree with you 100%, it's not going to stop as long as you keep going. They're baiting you and then slagging you for taking the bait.

Yes I know that.

I don't really want to slink away either though, cowed by them. 

I doubt if they behave this way in wider life, but on here they feel they have a licence to, and they get a bit high on it.

Back on topic, the coverage the BBC is giving this across TV and Radio really is ludicrous.  I'd have expected this frenzy for the Queen, but for him it's just nuts.