Stenhousemuir v Queen’s Park

Never thought we’d have a derby day against The Warriors but here we are. And a peculiarity that both teams recorded a 1-0 win against Cowdenbeath in their last fixture. Stenny are very safe from the relegation play-offs but still a bit off the pace for the promotion slot. Queen’s continue to plough through the fixture list and are looking stronger every game. The defending, across the field, is phenomenal and as attractive as the goals-for column is the chances missed is scarily high. One of these weeks some poor team are going to get a tanking.

Win for QP.

I'm not expecting much from tomorrow's game. Queen's Park have really hit their stride and have started turning in the kind of performances expected from a full-time team in a part-time league. Stenhousemuir, meanwhile, are facing their fourth game in eight days and, despite last night's good win over Cowdenbeath, have yet to fully convince this season.

On Tuesday night at Queen's Park's match with Cowden, the commentators said teams are playing weakened starting XIs against the Spiders with the aim of resting their better players for upcoming games against the sides around them. I'm not sure if that's the case (and the XI Cowden put out against us last night had one change from the side that began on Tuesday) but I don't think it's something we can afford to do. We are inexplicably within touching distance of the top half of the division so every match is crucial and who knows, we might even get an unlikely point here, so our best players have to start.

I don't see any reason to change things for tomorrow, unless a couple of players are carrying niggles, but I wonder if there's any value in going with a back four and having the wide midfielders drop deep to provide cover for the full-backs. Queen's Park are strong all over the pitch but Michael Doyle and Jai Quitongo down the right are a real threat and have to be stopped. I wonder if Callum Tapping will come back into the starting XI given how well Jonathan Tiffoney and Ryan Blair played together last night.

- Tam Muir - Alan Docherty -

- Callum Yeats - Ryan Blair - Jonathan Tiffoney - Jack Hodge - Botti Biabi -

- Creag Little - Jack Brydon - Adam Corbett -

- Paddy Martin -

I'd love to get something from this game but I suspect Queen's Park's long winning streak will continue.

Edited by Francesc Fabregas

Is that 10 listed?

if we aren’t going to have full scale rotation and put out a B team maybe mcguigan, hopkirk and tapping (if fit) could give some freshness. Sounds like hopkirk not it great form but still might be worth it.

Some of our covid-inflated squad are kids but how must Halleran feel? It’s not looking good if the squad are on their knees and you ain’t getting a start (again, assuming he’s fit)

A game where I’m expecting a much tougher test than Tuesday night. Was quite impressed with Stenny when we last met them at Hampden, they gave a strong account of themselves and certainly did cause some problems. However, the way we’re playing just now, it’s hard to really see anything other than another win. I struggle to see us concede any goals, never mind lose a game across 90 minutes.  

Would like to see a couple changes from Tuesday night with Murray, Carroll and potentially Robson coming in, although I would not be aggrieved to see Paterson retain his place due to his recent performances. 
                         Baynham            Murray  

Longridge                                                      Quitongo

Connell              Carroll  

Robson            Grant                   Kilday       Doyle 

Muir 

16 minutes ago, true fan said:

Is that 10 listed?

if we aren’t going to have full scale rotation and put out a B team maybe mcguigan, hopkirk and tapping (if fit) could give some freshness. Sounds like hopkirk not it great form but still might be worth it.

Some of our covid-inflated squad are kids but how must Halleran feel? It’s not looking good if the squad are on their knees and you ain’t getting a start (again, assuming he’s fit)

Apologies, I forgot to mark down Jack Hodge in the line-up.

I don't think Davie Irons fancies Thomas Halleran, I'm sorry to say. The fact that Paul Brown and Jack Hodge are ahead of him and right-back Jonathan Tiffoney is playing in the middle of the park suggests he's not really in the manager's plans.

43 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

On Tuesday night at Queen's Park's match with Cowden, the commentators said teams are playing weakened starting XIs against the Spiders with the aim of resting their better players for upcoming games against the sides around them. I'm not sure if that's the case (and the XI Cowden put out against us last night had one change from the side that began on Tuesday)

It's hard to tell if it's strictly true, but it's an oberservation I have picked up on when I have tried to predict opposition line-ups. FWIW, Cowden actually made four changes to their starting XI between Tuesday and Thursday, with four regular starters restored to the starting line-up against Stenny. Stirling did similar with regulars McGregor, Wilson Moore, Byrne, Ryan dropping to the bench against the Spiders then back in the following game. It might just be a result of minor injuries or squad rotation given the crazy fixture congestion.

Just now, Kenzie said:

It's hard to tell if it's strictly true, but it's an oberservation I have picked up on when I have tried to predict opposition line-ups. FWIW, Cowden actually made four changes to their starting XI between Tuesday and Thursday, with four regular starters restored to the starting line-up against Stenny. Stirling did similar with regulars McGregor, Wilson Moore, Byrne, Ryan dropping to the bench against the Spiders then back in the following game. It might just be a result of minor injuries or squad rotation given the crazy fixture congestion.

I thought the only change they made between Tuesday and Thursday was Iain Russell in for Kris Renton but I stand corrected, said the man in the orthopaedic shoe!

2 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

On Tuesday night at Queen's Park's match with Cowden, the commentators said teams are playing weakened starting XIs against the Spiders

To be fair, all they did was reference the chat on P&B. I haven't seen anything other than sensible rotation.

I watched the stream last night and thought The Warriors passed the ball about well, but really quite taken aback at how ineffective Cowdenbeath were.

Stenny gave a good fight last time at Hampden. Late goals sealed the win but it was a  battle until that point. Stenny should take pride in being one of the few teams to score against QP this year. 

I'd like to see Murray and Baynham start. I prefer Galty on the left. Robson at LB is stronger imo. Regardless of who starts, I think it'll be another QP win. 

Cove lost 4 in a 28 match season and now challenging for the L1 championship. I think we are stronger than Cove from last year. Food for thought people.

Edited by QPSpider1867

1 hour ago, QPSpider1867 said:

Stenny gave a good fight last time at Hampden. Late goals sealed the win but it was a  battle until that point. Stenny should take pride in being one of the few teams to score against QP this year. 

I'd like to see Murray and Baynham start. I prefer Galty on the left. Robson at LB is stronger imo. Regardless of who starts, I think it'll be another QP win. 

Cove lost 4 in a 28 match season and now challenging for the L1 championship. I think we are stronger than Cove from last year. Food for thought people.

Cove was and QP is a  well funded team in a part-time league, Cove could turn over teams QP seem to be doing just enough to win matches. Cove had a good team with 2/3 stand out players QP have a good team without a stand out. In a best of 5 tournament I would take last year's Cove to beat this year's QP  3-1 with 1 draw.

We have played reasonably well the last two games albeit against two pretty rotten sides. Biggest problem is a lack of goals, but I thought, last night in particular that there was a fair degree of confidence about the performance. Will be tough but if we can put in something similar to last night then we should make a game of it.

2 hours ago, AlbionMan said:

Cove was and QP is a  well funded team in a part-time league, Cove could turn over teams QP seem to be doing just enough to win matches. Cove had a good team with 2/3 stand out players QP have a good team without a stand out. In a best of 5 tournament I would take last year's Cove to beat this year's QP  3-1 with 1 draw.

That’s a fair comment although I’m inclined to say the goals per game ratio for both would a good measure. It might look like we are “doing just enough” but our goal attempts is very high and arguably our strikers, who do rotate a lot which I think challenges confidence, haven’t been taking some pretty decent openings. We’ve also been dominating matches with no real threat of defeat. To a degree that as soon as we get a second goal I know we’ve won the game. With regard to stand-outs, with only 5 conceded the defensive unit is a stand-out and I’m comfortable relying on goals from virtually every outfield position rather than a Megginson or McAllister.

Our match against you last week was the most competitive this season, other than Edinburgh City. That’s to your credit and you’ve a reasonable chance of promotion 

Last fixture with fans was a 0-0 at Ochilview. Would pay an awful lot to be in a world where we could stand together, slightly annoyed and bored at a 0-0 and dying to get back in for a pint. 

7 hours ago, Big Badger said:

Wouldn’t be surprised if the Queen’s committee pushed to have this game postponed to mark the tragic death of Prince Phillip, aged 300.

They’re probably more consumed with the news that Ken Ferguson of Brechin is stepping down from the SPFL Board. Wonder who’ll take that spot?

Edited by Bring Your Own Socks

Just now, Bring Your Own Socks said:

They’re probably more consumed with the news that Ken Ferguson of Brechin is stepping down from the SPLFL Board. Wonder who’ll take that spot?

Clyde guy supposedly 

Guest Midnight Express
7 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Apologies, I forgot to mark down Jack Hodge in the line-up.

I don't think Davie Irons fancies Thomas Halleran, I'm sorry to say. The fact that Paul Brown and Jack Hodge are ahead of him and right-back Jonathan Tiffoney is playing in the middle of the park suggests he's not really in the manager's plans.

Thomas Halleran is fit, unfortunately he's a victim of a spiteful and vindictive management duo which does not help Stenny as Halleran, based on technical skills and ability, is a better option than the majority of the players you mention. 

Guest Midnight Express
7 minutes ago, true fan said:

Certainly worth a game. Sorry to hear that 

Would like to see Halleran and Hodge together for a spell, think they would dovetail well. Thought Jack was MoM last night.