Closed Doors Live Streaming, the verdict.

Closed Doors Live Streaming, the verdict.  

106 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I don't see why people who patently can't attend games should have to use a VPN, when clubs could monetise their desire to watch games by just offering a streaming service instead though. The genie is not getting entirely put back in the bottle after this.

Instead of the SPFL setting and controlling rights at this mostly non-televised level of the game, it should be for individual clubs to decide what they want to provide and the extent of their catchment area outside of which they're willing to let home fans sign up to get a regular and hassle free streaming ticket instead. The SPFL might well stubbornly resist that but it's the sensible way forward. 

18 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Providing that clubs still stream after this season, just use a VPN. 

I've lived in the south of England for most of the past 7 years and I've been using a VPN to watch games for the majority of it, fairly guilt free aswell. I'm not about to do a 10 hour journey to the football every weekend and it was still getting money into the club. 

The number of people who would be both capable of doing that and bother going to that effort will be pretty much zero. There will be some but nowhere near enough to make streaming commercially viable if it isnt already to do it just to overseas viewers.

4 minutes ago, Waspie said:

Obviously really missed getting to games but I've really enjoyed the streams. Living a fair distance from Alloa I don't get to as many games as I'd like. This season the only matches I haven't seen were Livingston in the League Cup group stage and Hearts away first time around when I felt the price was just too high. Being able to watch Alloa every week, even in a season when we are going to be relegated, has been one of the few good things about the past year. While there were technical issues at times they became increasingly rare as the season went on and some of the comms and punditry were really impressive. 

If it was possible to maintain I'd definitely keep watching online when it wasn't possible to get to the game. I'd be happy enough for streams with no comms if clubs were keeping it going but putting a bit less resource into it. 

I think someone posted this already but if the clubs stop the Pixellot streams will continue via the SPFL match centre. You'd need a VPN in the UK but they'll be available next season

4 minutes ago, virginton said:

I don't see why people who patently can't attend games should have to use a VPN, when clubs could monetise their desire to watch games by just offering a streaming service instead though. The genie is not getting entirely put back in the bottle after this.

Instead of the SPFL setting and controlling rights at this mostly non-televised level of the game, it should be for individual clubs to decide what they want to provide and the extent of their catchment area outside of which they're willing to let home fans sign up to get a regular and hassle free streaming ticket instead. The SPFL might well stubbornly resist that but it's the sensible way forward. 

Maybe it should be up to clubs but it isnt.

Its a complex scenario though. Getting the balance between maximising revenue but also attracting people into the grounds isnt easy. For every argument that says you would make more money theres another that suggests you'll get less

10 minutes ago, virginton said:

The SPFL are utterly backwards when it comes to stuff like this. English Premier League highlights are up within minutes of the full time whistle on their official youtube channel. The SPFL still insist, for some unknown reason, that clubs wait until 12am on Sunday before releasing highlights. Any form of innovation on the technological side for stuff like streaming is made difficult for clubs. This season I've watched every away match regardless of cost. I'd rather no trek to Ayr or Dumfries twice a season to grounds I've experienced before: I'm sure fans of other clubs would say the same with Kirkcaldy. Hopefully it's a bit like the situation in 2012 where they were forced into a rejig for the better. 

Living in England, the live streams have allowed me to watch far more Ayr games than I would normally in a season. That hasn't always been a good thing.
I get the argument about enticing punters into grounds but surely some sort of package can be arranged for those of us who live 250 miles from home games? I would rather pay 10-12 pounds to watch a livestream from a Scottish league game than pay £23 to watch my nearest non-league English team or £28 for the nearest Championship team.

Most of the quality of the Hearts away matches I watched was awful, but that's the BBC these days.

'Jokes' aside, I paid for Morton, Arbroath, Brora, East Fife, Raith and bar Arbroath the quality was decent, particularly Raith and Morton.

Would be good to see it continue, but only at a price that doesn't make it the default option for away fans

Edited by Insert Amusing Pseudonym

13 hours ago, Grant228 said:

I've lived in the south of England for most of the past 7 years and I've been using a VPN to watch games for the majority of it, fairly guilt free aswell. I'm not about to do a 10 hour journey to the football every weekend and it was still getting money into the club. 

Very much this.

I left Dumfries when I was 17 (I'm 63 now) going up to Glasgow as a student and work has taken me all over the UK (including 3 years in London) and abroad.  These days I'm in South Lanarkshire which is still quite handy for Queens home games and the central belt away games, but I've had a few years way down south when (like Grant) it just wasn't practical to nip up for a game very often.  So the option of having PPV available would be great for the "ex pats" out there to watch their team and put a few quid towards the club at the same time - what's not to like?

• 2 weeks later...

the new SPFL deal had to come and should be most welcomed, most fans will want to go to live matches but you may as well try and show it to people who cannot attend a match. (I should add that the deal refers to all SPFL clubs, not just premiership)

with VPN's you couldn't go back to streaming overseas only.

IMO the pixellot/bet365 deal has been terrible as it shows how easy it is to use a VPN and pirate a stream. on pirate streams it's disappointing to see a couple of facebook groups openly pirating streams for their away games.

Having a single portal to access each clubs stream would seem like a good idea.

Edited by duncanbbd

I'm probably not the only one, but I've watched more games this season than I have since I was living in Kirkcaldy. I've lived in London for 6 years and I've only been able to get to the odd game when I'm visiting home. The streaming services from all clubs has been one of the few shining lights this last year, and I'm incredibly grateful for it. The bonus being Raith have had a very good season, so the games have been something I've really looked forward to. 

If the services continued and was available to UK residents I could definitely see myself buying a season pass for Raith games and probably the odd away game too. 

On 09/04/2021 at 22:38, virginton said:

Spot on non-televised level of the game and off little interest to PL team supporters so why restrict. 

Don't see many OF skipping their game to buy an Arbroath v Morton PPV.

But must be at standard gate ticket price.

On 19/04/2021 at 17:14, Jamie_M said:

Deal struck with Sky to allow Premiership clubs to stream next season to both season ticket holders and through PPV, regardless of when fans are back.

https://spfl.co.uk/news/press-release-47629

Not much of a legal argument to restrict initiative now.

Why would Sky object they don't show games at 3.00 on a Saturday.

As a substitute, match streaming has been ok but nothing beats the real thing and I’ll be back inside as many grounds next season as I can. That’s not to say I’m against this continuing.
As someone who works shifts away from home I’ve relished the opportunity to see games I’d otherwise have missed (Alloa away on boxing day) and I’d love this to continue, particularly if I could watch the stream at my leisure, eg at 7pm if I can’t see it live at 3pm.

My only complaints were the occasional dodgy commentary (easily sorted) and the issues of buffering (less easily sorted) the latter of which was mainly an issue with my own club (more early on than of late).

• 6 months later...

Apologies if it's been mentioned earlier but why don't football clubs offer ex pat fans streaming similar to Golf Clubs who offer a 'country membership' to players who have an attachment to the area but will qualify by living outside a certain radius, determined by the club.

This sets a precedent for an argument and more importantly gives much needed income to clubs, consider that the streaming infrastructure is already in place then the footballing authorities need to approve this for our fellow fans in darkest england and abroad.

Apologies if it's been mentioned earlier but why don't football clubs offer ex pat fans streaming similar to Golf Clubs who offer a 'country membership' to players who have an attachment to the area but will qualify by living outside a certain radius, determined by the club.
This sets a precedent for an argument and more importantly gives much needed income to clubs, consider that the streaming infrastructure is already in place then the footballing authorities need to approve this for our fellow fans in darkest england and abroad.
Because the league rules don't allow it. Outside of this season and last, obviously, when the rules were changed because of covid.

Can't see sky being keen to let it be changed or eufa wanting to relax their blackout rules

Plenty of clubs had streaming to overseas fans/expats/immigrants before COVID, and will continue to do so after this season when streaming will no longer be available to domestic fans. I doubt though that it brings in that much income.