Closed Doors Live Streaming, the verdict.

Closed Doors Live Streaming, the verdict.  

106 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So, the season of Live Streaming is coming to an end.

What are the overall thoughts?

Does anyone know any viewing figures?

I have personally seen more full Dundee games than I would have without it in a regular season, I have watched every game home and away.

Only one has been pretty poor, Ayr United, but the rest have been really good imo. (If you take out the understandable biased commentary).

I would like this to continue once the gates open, but only at the same price as a match day ticket as this would probably bring in more money to the clubs.

I know some were dead against this in the original poll, I would like to know if their minds have changed.

Discuss...

Thank you.

Edited by johnnydun

It has done a job I suppose but I wouldn’t want it to continue when “normality” returns.  

Teams need folk through the gates and if it was available in regular times then there would be nothing to stop large groups congregating in front of a tv and clubs getting minimal revenue.

Raith TV has been excellent, with only one match where I experienced any hiccups. Well measured commentary.

QoSTV was also quite good, although the music in the stadium was reproduced too well. Solid commentary.

TonTV was excellent commentary paired with a, well, shaky picture quality.

ICTTV was abysmal, but that was early, before the camera operator improved it slightly. The commentary made me mute it.

BBC Scotland was a horror show of ignorant and biased commentary and focus. The picture quality was disappointing.

I did not sample the others.

I am biased on my request for continuing as I am watching from overseas, but would like it to be available in general in the believe it would enhance the fan base in the long term. I think that people who wish to attend will, those on the fence may start watching on PPV and later decide to attend and be hooked, and a regular PPV availability would inevitably attract a few who wouldn’t pay or attend otherwise.

Edited by TxRover

Just now, Dougie Mills said:

It has done a job I suppose but I wouldn’t want it to continue when “normality” returns.  

Teams need folk through the gates and if it was available in regular times then there would be nothing to stop large groups congregating in front of a tv and clubs getting minimal revenue.

I see what you're saying, but the other side of the argument is that it would be very rare for me to travel to say Queen of the South, but I would pay full ticket price to see the game online.

Watched intermittently when the matches appealed to me. I don't necessarily want it to continue as I'm far more an advocate of attending matches in person, but I appreciate that streaming might be a preferred option in future for people who either can not or will not attend games.

Personally, I view it as a second-rate substitute and don't think I'll be persisting with it. I usually muted the commentary within 5 minutes of kick-off, so while accepting that you don't get commentary sat at the ground, this wasn't something that actually added to the experience for me, quite the opposite. I also think that by and large the prices charged were a bit unreasonable, but again, that has to be measured against the fact that clubs have no compunction charging £20+ for entry to a dire standard of league in person. I think match tickets are overpriced for the quality of product, and so are the streams quite frankly, but I wouldn't defend myself If someone suggested I'm just being tight.

Living in Edinburgh PPV  has been good for following the Dees and would be good for next season. Technically, most streams have worked well (I stopped getting commentary/sound for games at Dens, no idea why); quality has been decent with this weeks game at Ayr easily the worst. 

Edited by rainbowrising

I think I've watched all of the available streams for ICT home and away matches. I would normally go to these games anyway and whilst having to sit on a train or bus for a good few hours was not really missed the streaming experience varied dramatically between clubs. ICT fans might be more inclined to tune into a stream rather than travel to Queen of the South, Ayr, Alloa etc (and I figure the reverse could be true also) so whoever is in the league next season might feel there is merit in continuing to offer streams on a trial basis to see what uptake there is.

Our streaming offering is easily the worst in the league. Besieged by technical problems at the start (malfunctioning camera, poor image quality, fans not being able to view the stream etc.) and coupled with commentary that is at best described as "robotic" it led to me giving serious consideration to just skipping home games altogether. Whilst the ICT high ups couldn't see the future the fact that season ticket holders have paid ~ 50% more per stream than "PPV" viewers also rankles with me. The manually controlled camera is obviously an improvement and a second commentator has helped a little but it's still by some distance a very poor setup.

On the plus side I found RaithTV to be excellent, Ayr United's offering was good as well and Alloa, second time round, was also enjoyable. Every single team in the league offered something better than ICT (although I refused to pay the laughable asking price from Hearts) and we showed little interest in really wanting to improve which was disappointing.

For me though I'll be happy if I never have to stream a game again. As laborious as sitting on a train for 4 hours up to Inverness is I never want to hear Andrew Bannerman ever again.

UK based fans won't have to worry about streams again when things return to 'normal' as they simply won't be available again. They'll be banned like they always have been except for overseas fans.

I have to say, its been great. Every club has been able to offer fans a means to watch the game as it happens. 

Not perfect of course but I'm not going to sit here and complain about the production by people who tried their best to give us the chance to see our teams when the world was in turmoil.

Excellent from all parties. We saw the difference between the Jambos production, for instance, and the smaller clubs but so be it. I preferred Arbroaths fermer chat to the brushed aluminium cyber p***ks of Hearts for instance but yeah, kudos to everyone involved. 

I think it should be stopped, eventually, for those in the country. Would probably be nice to keep it for those who are clinically vulnerable for a while and then if clubs want to keep it, hike the price up.  

It will be likely outwith the control of the clubs, and banned domestically once normality resumes.

For oversees fans, all clubs will now have a streaming option for them albeit through the SPFL match centre using the Pixie Lotte cameras. They say there is commentary. Not sure how that works whether they have their own or were getting a feed from the clubs. Guess some clubs might choose to continue but just for overseas fans, depending if cost effective.

Would hope that clubs who weren't before (looking at you Morton) don't let the experience go to waste and continue to provide improved media output. If not able to stream live, even the option of full match replays after the event (at a reduced cost).

Matches are much better with a crowd & that includes away fans to give it more atmosphere. Most people don't travel home & away so there is probably a market for streaming games the next day or after 5pm if the authorities will allow it. 

Most of the streams have been decent. 
At the start of the season I would have said ours was middle of the pack but as others have tinkered and made improvements ours has stayed still and ended up being one of the worst. 

Inverness was absolutely ridiculous at the start of the season as we had the infamous pixelot camera tracking anyone bald or cars cross the bridge game. The customer service from SPFL was dreadful after that as well where they simply denied there was a problem. Haven't seen their since but others have said it has improved alot. 

It is between Morton and Raith for best overall package, Morton shades it for content and Raith has the advantage of excellent quality cameras. The chat box for the Raith game felt like a good idea but could see that going horribly wrong if the moderator looks away for too long. 

I haven't used the streaming service at all but if it has set up better infrastructure to allow those who want the opportunity to stream (abroad certainly; could a geographically limited 'season ticket' link apply within Scotland/UK?) then that's a positive side-effect.

I have been wondering if it could continue with caveats such as the distance between the two clubs, the predicted crowd and that sort of thing.  Imagine QotS were playing Caley Thistle at Palmerston and QotS made the game £10 a stream for Highland-base Caley Thistle season ticket holders.  Would they make money?  I think they probably would.  The Central Belt away fans would have to travel to the game as usual and you'd imagine the Highland-based diehard supporters bus away trippers would continue going anyway.  You might lose one or two in person but they'd probably buy a stream anyway as would some who wouldn't have gone at all.

I think it could be financially beneficial to clubs but of course with some caveats. 

1 hour ago, virginton said:

I haven't used the streaming service at all but if it has set up better infrastructure to allow those who want the opportunity to stream (abroad certainly; could a geographically limited 'season ticket' link apply within Scotland/UK?) then that's a positive side-effect.

Yeah, I think a streaming pass dependant on post code/certain number of miles away from ground would be a good idea.  I guess its easy enough to circumvent, however, same as the "overseas" services that exist in normal times. 

Unsure why anyone thinks it will be allowed to continue for domestic fans. It's illegal for a start, with special dispensation given only due to the pandemic. In addition is there not some UEFA rule against it too?

TV companies won't allow it. They'll fight hard if any proposals to continue it are put forward. 

Interesting to read other views. I have watched virtually all of the Pars games home and away- bar the Hearts at Tynecastle -refused to pay £18.50. I also bought several  games as a neutral where the fixture looked appealing.

My views on the offerings  are

Raith TV : excellent coverage / camera work/commentary a  very well put together package

Arbroath TV : decent coverage and excellent commentary, good interviews thrown in

Ayr TV : usually OK'sh with very good co-commentator however I bought Ayr v Dundee on Tuesday and it was virtually unwatchable -easily the worst of the season

Morton TV : Andy Ritchie's expert analysis was a breath of fresh air- told it as it was.

ICT: inevitably the worst camera position and dull commentary

QoS/Alloa  OK