Montrose v Airdrieonians

2 minutes ago, The Gable Endie said:

Pissed 3 mistakes in recent games. Got to give seagull another shot

Yeh.  Lennox to blame for 2 goals against Clyde and another one today.

Thought it was a fairly even first half. Airdrie probably had more possession in first half without really threatening. Montrose first goal was a belter. Second goal was very strange.

Second half airdrie pretty much dominated. Few montrose players looked knackered. Obviously got lucky with the goal but it was deserved albeit not in that manner

First praise to the quality of the stream, presumably benefitting from a higher position, and a delight to see almost all of the pitch at the right times. I liked the commentator ( sorry forgot his name) who was quietly informative and very fair. I missed how he reacted to that last minute howler as I was in delirium at Sean's salvation. On the game itself Montrose did edge the first half and probably deserved the lead because they got a shot on target. We had breakaways and corners but it never looked to dent Dillon etc. I was very doubtful if we would recover from Sean's own howler, especially so close to half time. Did Montrose decide to sit in or did Airdrie finally take the passing game into the final third? All a matter of opinion,  but I was desperate to see an equaliser since we had so many chances. I have no idea if Gallagher played for the "felt a contact" foul but the Ref had a better view than me. Lennox made an excellent save to keep the lead but that high cross should have been dealt with-maybe it was the snow on it that caught him out. I was delighted of course. It was a good game between 2 teams trying to win but Montrose will be kicking themselves. The top six chase for a top 5 position is now on.  Our home form is shady but you would think we will beat Forfar and then it's the Fifers, for a fitting decider. 

I’d probably have taken the point pre-match if you’d have offered me it and considering we were 2 down, it makes it all the more valuable.

As others have said, it was a fairly even first half but Montrose were just that wee bit sharper and more clinical in the final third. Ballantyne’s goal was a great finish, but I was disappointed at the way our man (can’t recall who it was) sold himself so easily at the initial feint. The second goal was brutal, especially the timing of it, but these kinds of mistakes can happen.

Like I said earlier in the thread, thought we were the better side by far in the second half and squandered so many chances - Carrick blazing over from a few yards out springs to mind - and the players deserve credit for not letting their heads drop and for battling to the very end.

I was delighted for Sean Crighton’s part in our equaliser - he’s been a great servant and captain for us but, along with the the rest of our back line, has had a tough season. The Mo’s second goal typified that really, but it was great seeing him play a vital role in that late drama.

Given that our final games are at home to Forfar and EF, I still think things are very much in our own hands.

Overall, I was pleased with the application and performance of most of our player, but yet again, Jack McKay starts...why? Offered nothing once again and we improved further when he was hooked for Thomson - who gave us a genuine threat on the right. Thomson needs to start in place of McKay on Tuesday.

Absolutely gutted.
A real game of two halves and probably a fair result over the piece but what a way to lose out on the win.
As good as we were in the first half, we were pi55 poor in the second.
As for the second goal, that's just criminal and that has possibly cost us a top 5 / play-off place.
He cost us two goals against Clyde a couple of weeks back.
Hopefully we'll see each other in a few weeks time battling out for a play off.

19 minutes ago, thediamonddude said:

Overall, I was pleased with the application and performance of most of our player, but yet again, Jack McKay starts...why? Offered nothing once again and we improved further when he was hooked for Thomson - who gave us a genuine threat on the right. Thomson needs to start in place of McKay on Tuesday.

Agreed. I said it after the Falkirk game (or maybe the Dumbarton game, probably both) but I just don't see what he adds to the team at all. It's noticeable how much better we are as soon as he goes off. Taking Roy off, our only striker in a bit of form, when we were a goal down before Jack McKay was criminal. Any and all of Carrick, O'Reilly, Connell, Robert and Thomson should be playing ahead of him. 

18 minutes ago, PortyMo said:

Absolutely gutted.
A real game of two halves and probably a fair result over the piece but what a way to lose out on the win.
As good as we were in the first half, we were pi55 poor in the second.
As for the second goal, that's just criminal and that has possibly cost us a top 5 / play-off place.
He cost us two goals against Clyde a couple of weeks back.
Hopefully we'll see each other in a few weeks time battling out for a play off.

I can sympathise with you but it's still a real chase now for that top 5-tough games for Montrose I know but nothing can be taken for granted in this crazy season.  Is  your other goalie Scott Gallagher who was with us last season?  He also had some howlers for us and I preferred David Hutton.  Your 2nd half was nearly all about hanging on and maybe the fitness over all these games caught a few players out. I Have no great prediction skills but think Thistle and Falkirk will get there and  feel Cove will not stumble so its EF/A/Mo to tough it out. 

1 hour ago, PortyMo said:

No, Allan Fleming on the bench. Really surprised that Petrie has stuck with Lennox for this long.

Thanks for info. This chase is going to be butt clenching, but it looks as if Forfar are doomed? With Brechin's current status, and Arbroath looking as if they could stay in the Championship, it would be changed days from the Angus L1 of a few years ago.  Do fans in Angus go between the teams if one is away from home or is it a bit "tribal"? I have been known to give Albion Rovers an occasional visit. 

3 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Thanks for info. This chase is going to be butt clenching, but it looks as if Forfar are doomed? With Brechin's current status, and Arbroath looking as if they could stay in the Championship, it would be changed days from the Angus L1 of a few years ago.  Do fans in Angus go between the teams if one is away from home or is it a bit "tribal"? I have been known to give Albion Rovers an occasional visit. 

I don't think it's a common phenomenon at all, although there were a fair few from the other three at LP in 2015 for the shit or bust game against Brora.

I've been to the hedge with friends of the away team a couple of times, and would probably go along for the possible play off. Went behind enemy lines down the A92 once, never to Station Park.

Just now, Scorge said:

I don't think it's a common phenomenon at all, although there were a fair few from the other three at LP in 2015 for the shit or bust game against Brora.

I've been to the hedge with friends of the away team a couple of times, and would probably go along for the possible play off. Went behind enemy lines down the A92 once, never to Station Park.

That's what I would have guessed. I have a friend who would never go to Cliftonhill for anything other than a derby. I did go to see Clyde win against Annan in the play off a few years ago. If only we could see live spectator games soon.  

12 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

In my case, not a feckin chance. Would you go to Motherwell or Hamilton?

I work with a couple of Brechin die-hards and feel for them having been in the same predicament a few years back but I do fear for them.