Vaccine Passports

Vaccine Passports  

92 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

What started as a bit of a fringe concern at least domestically is now gathering a lot of momentum as Boris Johnson confirmed after various hints that the government is considering the introduction of vaccine passports to push the country through to the end of lockdown.

Proponents of the scheme argue that it will prevent the cycles of lockdowns and will be a temporary measure to return us to normality while critics argue a range of things varying from it's unnecessary in a country with high vaccine uptake and jags in arms to the more (some would say) conspiratorial belief that it's ID cards by the backdoor.

The SNP seemed to be opposed to the idea publicly on the basis of too many unknowns in the Tory plans although Sturgeon has called for one of her famous "grown-up conversations" while Labour have shockingly taken a position on the subject and came out against it. Don't know or care what fringe extremist parties like the Lib Dems have to say but presumably they have takes that someone will eventually hear about.

What do people think? Are they happy with it if it means getting back out and about without the varying restrictions that have plagued us for the last year? 

Are you opposed? On what grounds?

Do you think it's likely to pass and, if so, on what basis? Will it be for foreign travel only as the government appears to be largely reassuring people on or will it be the wider range of pubs, nightclubs and general hospitality that has been rumoured?

My second question is just a fun theoretical to gauge how bothered folk are either about getting out of lockdown or the possible ramifications of pushing through legislation now that could be here for a while.

I'm happy for them to be in place for international travel and no more. I'd like to think we'd reach a position where they are no longer necessary for that, but that is some way off for the time being. There is precedent here and it will get things moving again without quarantines and restrictions. 

Completely oppose them domestically. It's State overreach and whilst I am pro-vaccine and will be taking the vaccine when I am offered it, I don't think it should be mandatory. Vaccine passports are basically a way of trying to make it so; not so much with a carrot and stick, but via a massive boot up the arse. 

I also have concerns about the data gathered and what it might be used for. 

I'd also oppose them if it meant an immediate end to lockdown on the grounds I don't believe we'd ever get rid of them. 

Edited by Michael W

Cant have any grumbles about other countries requiring them, but for domestic its a massive no from me. They don't serve a purpose in terms of increasing "safety" for anyone. This leaves me wondering what their actual value/purpose is, and given the people involved, the safe conclusion is , nothing good.

It's a backdoor route to Digital ID and once it's law the scope will be ever expanded.

Relying on phones is extremely impractical so if it is established I expect there would be a drive towards Wearables being used to confirm ID status. There have been a lot of patents regarding that in the past few years. 

Edited by Detournement

I'm not so sure about vaccine passports for everyday things like going to restaurants etc as a matter of course.  If individual business owners want to require people to be vaccinated that could be a different thing - I wouldn't have qualms, for example, about a nursery requiring that children be up to date with vaccinations when they attend.  That's a slightly different scenario than needing to scan a passport to go to Sainsbury's though.

7 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I'm not so sure about vaccine passports for everyday things like going to restaurants etc as a matter of course.  If individual business owners want to require people to be vaccinated that could be a different thing - I wouldn't have qualms, for example, about a nursery requiring that children be up to date with vaccinations when they attend.  That's a slightly different scenario than needing to scan a passport to go to Sainsbury's though.

If the virus respects the sanctity of the school gates surely it isn't going to pick on even younger children?

31 minutes ago, Left Back said:

If the virus respects the sanctity of the school gates surely it isn't going to pick on even younger children?

I was meaning more childhood vaccinations, the MMR etc.

For international travel I think its fine and should be easy enough to enforce in the same way it is already for things like yellow fever in some countries, for domestic travel and recreation I think its a logistical nightmare probably not worth even attempting, its better just to get most people vaccinated and ensure people still get tested if they get ill, Once enough people are vaccinated then open up movement as close to normal as possible. Id guess that we will see small localised spikes at times after society opens up but with quick testing and localised light restrictions if enough people are already vaccinated it should be fine.

5 hours ago, Barry Ferguson's Hat said:

As long as they're blue.

No that won't work.  You'll get people turning up at the airport with only their vaccine passport and not their passport passport.

"I didn't realise I still needed both!"

Better make it another colour just in case.

Maybe burgundy.

For international travel I can see why they may be needed. As for their use domestically, absolutely not. Its pathetic to think people could travel to sports/shows on busy trains and buses and not need one, yet need one for an event outdoors? Absolute nonsense, plus the fact theyd be on an app and so many elderly dont have smart phones 

I could see it being understandable for foreign travel, although rather than an actual digital passport with all your info saved onto some database punted to the US by Dido harding for an extra few chemically treated chickens, I'd prefer some kind of more informal system like a doctor's letter as currently exists for taking prescription medicine abroad. 

Strongly pro-vax, but vehemently anti-passport. I know slippery slope arguments are so passé, but it really really is a slippery slope - one step from c***s being deported because their face doesn't "fit" justified by a trumped up charge against an irregularity on their vax pass etc. I don't trust the UK govt even the tiniest smidgin, and I have extremely strong reservations about the SG even having this data. Yes, I know that they all have access to various parts of my data at a button press as is, but this is essentially one rung off mandatory ID cards. 

And that's all before we get into the nitty gritty re discrimination against those who haven't been offered one yet, issues about those who are unable to be vaxxed, bame vaccine hesitancy etc (tbf none of those are insurmountable) 

Edited by madwullie

I don't have a problem with ID cards and wouldn't have a problem with everyone being chipped. I'd also be quite keen on police drones on every street corner equipped with tasers. So as a first step to Megacity One, I'm all for it. 

All for it for those going abroad. "I'm not getting vaccinated!" - Aye? Well you won't be leaving the country either then ya c**t.

I haven't looked into it in much detail so my point may be irrelevant - the only trouble with a vaccine passport is if they open up airlines and folk haven't been offered an injection yet. I'm in the bracket that I'll be last in the pecking order for one. I'd think it would be a bit shit if we were allowed to travel abroad but can't because I haven't been offered an injection yet.*

Another concern is proving you've been given both doses. I don't know if it's exclusive to D n G but 3 folk I know have attended for their injection and the person giving it had no clue if it was their first or second dose they were giving. Surely that shit is recorded? And if they aren't recording it how are passports going to be effective?

* Folk in my category. I won't be travelling abroad any time soon.