Dumbarton vs East Fife

Excellent performance. Up ye, Young. Wallace, McGeever, Wardrop, Frizzell, Wedderburn all really good. Nothing sticks when it goes to Jones as he has no first touch and no pace, but he did alright tonight. Would still prefer Wilson start in his place. And Omar start for Langan. Loads of positives, enjoyable game. Could see what it meant to the players at the end. Well worth 12 quid.

Fair play to Dumbarton tonight, looked far more hungrier and organised than us. Knew exactly how to stop us playing and did it to a tee, one shot on target from us I think? Tonight determined whether we will be in the top or bottom 5, for me I expect to see us in the bottom half.

Well it was a win, and whilst there were a few decent performances - the back five, Wallace, Omar - I think we owe thanks to Darren Young who rolled the dice with his starting eleven and it pretty much backfired.

I'd like to think we can carry tonight's momentum to Cove on Saturday but a great deal will depend on Duffy's team selection - we simply cannot afford to have Carswell, Wedderburn and Forbes on the park at the same time.

What's the scoop with Layne BTW ?  Is he badly injured ?  

Only joking. A win is a win. We played better than usual but that only came when we strung 3 or 4 passes on the deck together. Omar and Wallace need to play every game for me, I thought Frizzell was poor up until his goal to be honest but hopefully he can gain confidence from it and show more of that. 

1 hour ago, Always the Sons said:

Moonster can you check can you "rewind" it using bar at bottom ? 

Nah, that wasn't working for me. Think I need to change internet providers tbh, couldn't get a decent stream at all tonight.

3 minutes ago, lukejoaitken said:

Fair play to Dumbarton tonight, looked far more hungrier and organised than us. Knew exactly how to stop us playing and did it to a tee, one shot on target from us I think? Tonight determined whether we will be in the top or bottom 5, for me I expect to see us in the bottom half.

That’s the bit that annoys me same as last week up at Montrose we didn’t come close to matching the hunger and desire shown by the opposition.. Something seriously wrong with our away form we are absolutely pathetic on the road. That’s about 6 or 7 games on the road we haver never been at the racing. Only saving grace is the fans haven’t wasted their time travelling to watch such garbage

Difficult to type with steam coming out your ears. Probably the easiest 90 mins the Dumbarton defence have had since last March. Too angry to start on where the blame lies for that shambles. 
Identify the threat.  Cardle tore us to bits at Firhill  so he comes on on Tuesday and twice we give him acres of space and one on one and surprise surprise. Previously at Dumbarton McGeever is unchallenged to head home easily so he is given all the space he needs to do it again.

Top five is still doable but with so much more pressure on each game but from the position we were in at the restart not to make the top five would have to be classed as a complete failure.

Edited by Another The Other Chairman
Spelling

6 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

Bold statement from a team languishing,  justifiably, 2nd bottom of the league.

I reckon we probably do have one of the best defences in the league. Especially back when we had Dabrowski in goal too.

That was a really good performance last night. Straight from the off we looked like we actually posed a threat and played with a really good intensity in the final third. I mentioned it a few times on the commentary, but it was just great to see players being prepared to have a shot. I think in the first-half alone we did more attacking than we had done in all our previous home games this year combined. 

I really didn't understand what Duffy was trying with the three man midfield of Langan, Wedderburn and Forbes. But, actually, when you saw it in person it made a bit of sense. All three might not be able to run particularly quickly (or very much), but they are three good players with the ball at their feet. I spoke to Adam Frizzell after the game and he mentioned that he felt the reason he did so well was because we weren't as direct, and that came from the midfield. So fair play to Jim Duffy for trying out the new midfield three. Rabin obviously gave us legs when he had to come on in the first-half, which changed things a bit, but the three who started did a far better job than I had feared.

In saying that there wasn't a player who didn't deserve pass marks last night. Sam Wardrop was the only one who didn't hit the standards we know he's capable of, and I do wonder if Duffy might fancy pitching Nick McAllister back in on Saturday given how good he was against Montrose at RB.

Morgyn Neill and Ryan McGeever were their usual selves, and absolutely dominated Sean Brown and Greig Spence, who looked every bit Lowland League and League Two players respectively. If Ryan Wallace and Kevin Smith had been able to start then I think we would've seen a very different game.

McGeever took his goal well, and it was an absolutely lovely delivery from Forbes, but the East Fife defending was seriously shoddy. I've no idea why, given he's now got three goals against them in five games for us, East Fife don't double up on him. Since we came down EF have had really issues defending set-pieces though, so maybe it's not exclusively McGeever who is going unchallenged. He could've easily had a hat-trick last night, but for a poor finish and a smashing Jordan Hart save.

Further forward the front three looked the closest thing we've seen to a functioning strikeforce all season. James Wallace, Robert Jones and (especially) Adam Frizzell all played well, and all complimented each other.

Wallace looks a real livewire and, for someone who is genuinely 5"5 at the very most, his hold-up play and ability to link the game was really impressive. I'm hopeful we'll see a lot more of him in the coming weeks. Likewise Adam Frizzell finally showed the ability we know he has - but that we only get in flickers. It wasn't just his goal; his all-round play was a lot better. He was trying difficult passes, not afraid to shoot and just looked to flourish with three ball-playing midfielders behind him.

As for big Robert Jones, well he must really dislike East Fife, because he won more in the air than I can ever remember. He put in a power of work and, whilst he should've been hooked 10 minutes before he was, I thought he played his role really well. It's not a fashionable one, it's not pretty, and it's all graft for little reward - but he looked like a pretty handy League One player.

That just gives me time to mention Ross Forbes. Two assists and a missed penalty. He's now on 7 (seven) assists for the season. Granted three were against Huntly, but given how much we have struggled this season going forward that is a very impressive return. Especially for a man who has had only a handful of decent games. I thought he was good last night. His ball through for the second goal was excellent and, by and large, he was good on the ball and worked hard defensively. Looked a threat too and it felt like he was playing with a point to prove after the Airdrie match. He obviously isn't everyone's cup of tea because of the way he plays - but he's got plenty of quality that most players in this division lack. He just needs a team that plays to his strengths. 

Hopefully it's not a false dawn and the players can build on the recent results and performances against Falkirk, Aberdeen, Montrose and EF this weekend and heading into the run-in. I do think last night highlighted something major though. And I say this as his biggest fan. We looked to have more balance in our midfield without Carsy...

Edited by Jan Vojáček

1 hour ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I do think last night highlighted something major though. And I say this as his biggest fan. We looked to have more balance in our midfield without Carsy...

Nail on head for me. The ball was played through midfield for once last night. Carsy doesn't use the ball well and tbh I think he's lost a bit of his ball winning skills. Both he and Wedderburn sit too deep as well, it's just madness that we finally got rid of Kyle Hutton and brought in an almost exact replica in Wedderburn despite the well known issues we've had playing two guys like that in midfield. When Omar came on centrally he was going past players and running beyond the strikers (which won us a penalty). We need that in every match.