St Johnstone 1 Aberdeen 0, Saturday 10th April 2021

6 minutes ago, Kyle said:

We’ve scored 8 goals at home all season. Davidson has done a fantastic job but he hasn’t found the solution to that yet. A mix of having an excellent defensive record and a decent away record have spared us from a bit of a struggle this season. 

we need to gain a point on livi prior to the final day and we have games against Celtic and Hibs away and Rangers at home to do it... a really big ask for us now. 

Generally on today’s game, we started well but didn’t ever really look like scoring. I really don’t like the 5-2-3 with the players that we have and hope that the manager either brings in players to play his preferred shape on the summer or he just drops it altogether. We look a completely different side when we play 2 up front. 

Get 3/5 at the back in the bin. Hate it again, after quite liking it briefly at the start of this season.

7 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Because I always come into McDiarmid at the Newhouse Road entrance and walk round to the North Stand, I never realised these pitches were there, and thought that it was only the astroturf pitches outside the match pitch. Perfect training site.

It was waste ground and often used as an overspill car park in the first decade of two of McDiarmid. We used to train at Glenalmond school, the North Inch, or latterly at Stirling Uni, some of which obviously incurred a cost.

About 15 ish years ago (maybe a bt more?) a grass pitch was put in on that land, and when we did the deal for the new road 4 years ago or so we got the second grass pitch and whole area fenced etc.

Theres a large cleared site above the two pitch sitting empty that I hoped would be bought and developed by the club, an indoor training pitch, gym, youth player accommodation/ supporters bars and facilities for match day or something, but it's to be developed for housing, I think by Geoff's company.

10 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Theres a large cleared site above the two pitch sitting empty that I hoped would be bought and developed by the club, an indoor training pitch, gym, youth player accommodation/ supporters bars and facilities for match day or something, but it's to be developed for housing, I think by Geoff's company.

I'm sure there's planning permission for flats, but that was a couple of years ago and nothings really happened. 

The difference for me today was highlighted in the Hayes and McCann chances. Lewis saves an easy shot straight at him, Zander let's one go under him.

I know there were faults leading up to the Aberdeen goal but ultimately a good goalie saves that. Imagine if Saints had a decent goalkeeper like Siegrist, he has single handedly kept utd away from the relegation spots this season. Good teams don't have shite goalkeepers.

2 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

The difference for me today was highlighted in the Hayes and McCann chances. Lewis saves an easy shot straight at him, Zander let's one go under him.

I know there were faults leading up to the Aberdeen goal but ultimately a good goalie saves that. Imagine if Saints had a decent goalkeeper like Siegrist, he has single handedly kept utd away from the relegation spots this season. Good teams don't have shite goalkeepers.

It's honestly remarkable how Clark literally concedes every second shot on target. Like its not even just a shtick I have, you can almost guarantee it.

Plus, a decent striker scores Kanes chance.

Weve a decent core of a squad, wasted by a lack of quality at both behind them and in front of them.

6 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

It's honestly remarkable how Clark literally concedes every second shot on target. Like its not even just a shtick I have, you can almost guarantee it.

Plus, a decent striker scores Kanes chance.

Weve a decent core of a squad, wasted by a lack of quality at both behind them and in front of them.

You know my thoughts on Kane, although the boy has improved remarkably this season he still shouldn't be a number one striker at a club like St Johnstone. Zander can gtf as well.

I'm not blaming Zander for that. Yes he might have saved it, but it's not a mistake as such and there were more culpable folk out there than him.  

3 Aberdeen players made deliberate fouls when Saints players were pulling away in promising positions centrallyin the Aberdeen half; Considine and McGinn got booked and Ferguson bizarrely didn't late on.  Our players stood off and watched Matty time his pass to perfection then were all surprised when he found a teammate clean through.  They're not getting that space in there if Liam Craig is on the park as others have said.

Ali McCann gave the ball away more than he kept it, and missed a sitter.

Chris Kane is a very effective as a target man, supporting striker, defending from the front, winning free kicks etc, but he must be about the worst finisher out of every striker in the Premiership.  He absolutely falls to f**k when presented with great chances. It's been that way for the last 6+ years and thats never going to change.

Rooney missed a great chance. Booth was poor today.

Aberdeen were in horrendous form and devoid of confidence, but as so often with this formation at home this season, we looked in the ascendancy but did little with it, and the opposition got to grow in confidence and came out a different team in the second half.  

With the fact that there will be no fans at the cup final, its one of the OF away if we beat Clyde anyway, I'm not that fussed about the rest of this season.

Can't complain.. We've won a cup, finished top six and will possibly end the season with the lowest goals scored at home total in our history?  Never a dull moment!

We can complain though Paulo, we have statistically the WORST keeper in the league, for a top half side that's remarkable. If we had a better one, f**k it even a half competent one, we'd probably be 10 points better off and in a European spot.

This may sound like I'm moaning, I am, I'm also happy we've won a trophy etc but I just want St Johnstone to be the best they can but I'm also willing to call out things that need improving. 

3 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

We can complain though Paulo, we have statistically the WORST keeper in the league, for a top half side that's remarkable. If we had a better one, f**k it even a half competent one, we'd probably be 10 points better off and in a European spot.

xG literally has us 10pts better off.

Very suspicious how you knew that Tam, tbh.

If CD is going to persist with the formation then it's vital that some time is spent on getting in the right new players. 

Kane doesn't cut it because he is a liability in front of goal. He does other things really, really well but is just not a reliable finisher. 

As for Clark.............his form has fallen off a cliff and there are no signs of it picking up. Another keeper is an absolute must.

13 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

This may sound like I'm moaning, I am, I'm also happy we've won a trophy etc but I just want St Johnstone to be the best they can but I'm also willing to call out things that need improving. 

Robby McCrorie would like a word

I think we are past the stage of debating the aesthetics of the 5-2-3. Even if you accept football doesn't need to be simply about winning games, it's harder to look past the idea that the primary aim is to score goals. 

For a spell this season, I enjoyed watching us play the new system at home and even yesterday, the first half was a dominant display. 

But the evidence is damning, we don't score goals at home and 17 games into a league season, the manager shouldn't still be banging his head off a brick wall hoping something miraculously changes.

The nature of the formation means there are always positives in individual performances and I can see why there are elements of the display he's happy with but it's just a broken record as it's the same every time we use it. 

The positives yesterday were the back three were solid again, the wing backs were advanced and I thought Bryson was very good. He's stepped up a level over the past few months. Conway is an intelligent player who knows the system but the legs hold him back. 

After a bright few minutes to open, Middleton was very quiet but would have liked to see the manager try to switch him over with Conway. The other two players who were disappointing were McCann and Kane. The latter is back to looking like a guy who is incapable of scoring goals. He's a bit like the individual embodiment of the team under this system, looks good at a lot of what he does but can't do the most important thing. 

If Bryson has stepped up his performances recently, McCann is probably having his poorest spell since coming into the team. A guy that used to never give the ball away but is sloppy with his passing at the moment. Not sure anyone scouting him at the moment will be too impressed. 

Disappointed we failed to put the pressure on Livingston but league on the back burner for a few weeks now. Get past Clyde, get through the Rangers game then have a real crack at this quarter-final. 

Edited by Radford