Brechin V Warriors

Big game for us tonight. We need to take 3 points to keep any slight and slender chance we have of making playoffs and condemn City further towards the sword.  For City it is  game that they must take something from.  I assume that Muir and Little will be serving their last game of  suspension.  We need everyone fit and suspension free for Thursday as well.

2 hours ago, Moonglum25 said:

Big game for us tonight. We need to take 3 points to keep any slight and slender chance we have of making playoffs and condemn City further towards the sword.  For City it is  game that they must take something from.  I assume that Muir and Little will be serving their last game of  suspension.  We need everyone fit and suspension free for Thursday as well.

Little is back tonight as it was only a two game suspension. 

1 hour ago, Moonglum25 said:

I think Creag Little is back in but Tam Muir will be missing. I'm not sure if Mark McGuigan and Botti Biabi, two players who went off injured against Kilmarnock, are available to play. So it's all hands to the pumps! I wonder if the likes of Callum Tapping and Ryan Blair will feature tonight - the pair have played a lot of football recently and I'm not sure if it's worth resting one of them tonight. It's certainly one of the challenges Davie Irons will face over the coming weeks.

I think tonight is less about the top four and more about making sure we're as far away from the foot of the table as possible. We might have beaten Brechin City earlier in the season but we really made hard work of it and Michael Paton's side were probably unlucky not to have taken a point. I'm expecting something similar tonight: a dreadful game that Stenhousemuir win by the odd goal.

3 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

I think Creag Little is back in but Tam Muir will be missing. I'm not sure if Mark McGuigan and Botti Biabi, two players who went off injured against Kilmarnock, are available to play. So it's all hands to the pumps! I wonder if the likes of Callum Tapping and Ryan Blair will feature tonight - the pair have played a lot of football recently and I'm not sure if it's worth resting one of them tonight. It's certainly one of the challenges Davie Irons will face over the coming weeks.

I think tonight is less about the top four and more about making sure we're as far away from the foot of the table as possible. We might have beaten Brechin City earlier in the season but we really made hard work of it and Michael Paton's side were probably unlucky not to have taken a point. I'm expecting something similar tonight: a dreadful game that Stenhousemuir win by the odd goal.

Blair and Tapping both start, Marky is starting too. Botti on the bench. Lineups will be released around 6 

Missed opportunity last night to close the gap on Stranraer to 4 points with a game in hand. Not surprising that we failed to do so as Beaver states we are not very good. With the quality of players we have we should be performing so much better but that has been the pattern for the past couple of years. 

Tomorrow night is a must win then assume Saturday is a foregone conclusion and rest key players to have them reasonably ready for the Elgin game or play our strongest team against QP?

11 minutes ago, Moonglum25 said:

Missed opportunity last night to close the gap on Stranraer to 4 points with a game in hand. Not surprising that we failed to do so as Beaver states we are not very good. With the quality of players we have we should be performing so much better but that has been the pattern for the past couple of years. 

Tomorrow night is a must win then assume Saturday is a foregone conclusion and rest key players to have them reasonably ready for the Elgin game or play our strongest team against QP?

I bought a stream for the Queen's Park -vs- Cowdenbeath match and something the commentators said was that QP's opponents had started to picked weakened squads against them in order to rest players for upcoming games against the sides around them. Whether or not that's true, I don't know, but they look miles ahead of everyone else in the division and it might be worth considering.

I wasn't all that impressed with Cowden but they barely got out of their own half after the interval so it probably wasn't the best game to judge them on. I think we should be able to beat them but who knows after last night? I'm not surprised to read beaver1's report. We could have moved further away from the bottom of the table and maybe put a bit of pressure on Stranraer above us but we did not. Is that the first time Mark McGuigan has missed a penalty for us? As for Ryan Blair, when he's in the mood, some of his passing can be a joy to watch but he does not do enough to dominate games for me and can be a frustrating player.

I do wonder about Davie Irons. I'm prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt - this is a surreal season and he won't have much time to do any coaching - but this is a weird group of players he's brought in and I think I overestimated them earlier in the campaign when I said we had the best starting XI outside of Queen's Park (!) We don't seem to be any further forward than we were when he took over from Colin McMenamin in 2019. We've won four league games all season - one against Edinburgh City, the high point of the campaign so far, one against Brechin City and two against Albion Rovers. That is nowhere near acceptable.

If we are being honest the only player we would lose to a higher league club based on this season would be Biabi. We have some decent names in the squad but let's have it right we are lower half fodder for a reason. To be ten points off the play offs in this league is an absolute dismal return verging on embarrassing.

DI will get a pass this season due to it really not being a proper season of normal football but more of this garbage next season and I don't think it will end well.

The persistence to play Tapping and Blair every single game since the restart is bewildering when both have been a mile off it, particularly Blair.

Halleran should surely be getting some game time he can't do any worse than what's being served up. As I said last week the season is over for us we should be giving boys a chance to earn a deal and give assured starters a kick up the arse.