The turd that wont flush vs Dundee United

28 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

To see a squad that toiled in the Championship last season potentially finish a comfortable 7th, winning on a plastic pitch away from home i don't think you need to be depressed in any way.

Yeah we have to be happy where we are, no doubt about it.  Far less happy at the absolute turgid shite we’re having to endure.

On a separate note, Mellon’s style of football has undoubtedly devalued our biggest asset.  I didn’t expect Shanks to be anywhere close to his tally for last season but a different style of play would have seen a decent return from him IMO and would have made his sell on value in the summer far greater than he will go for now.  Would not be surprised if we get more for Benji.

6 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Yeah we have to be happy where we are, no doubt about it.  Far less happy at the absolute turgid shite we’re having to endure.

On a separate note, Mellon’s style of football has undoubtedly devalued our biggest asset.  I didn’t expect Shanks to be anywhere close to his tally for last season but a different style of play would have seen a decent return from him IMO and would have made his sell on value in the summer far greater than he will go for now.  Would not be surprised if we get more for Benji.

It's been a balancing act for MM: perhaps if he'd set up the team to provide chances for Shankland and increase his transfer worth to United, we'd also be battling relegation in the next four games, or worse. I'm happy that he's steadied our position in the league under severe constraints placed upon him before the start of the season.

2 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

It's been a balancing act for MM: perhaps if he'd set up the team to provide chances for Shankland and increase his transfer worth to United, we'd also be battling relegation in the next four games, or worse. I'm happy that he's steadied our position in the league under severe constraints placed upon him before the start of the season.

I would understand that argument better had it not been for the fact that there were games earlier in the season where we were playing more attacking (and attractive) football and winning.  It’s fair enough to be cautious against tougher opposition but we’ve played this latest style against everyone.

As we are now safe from relegation I’d like to see us playing the last four in a formation that can get service to Shankland.

In fairness to the manager his job was to keep us up. Hes done that with cherries on top.

Had we had the same resilience a few years ago we'd never have gone down. 

I'd love to see the club try to extend Shanklands contract (instead of offering Pawlett anything). Then ideally play to his strengths. Im fairly sure Mellon would have loved to have done the same all season but staying up was the priority. 

Considering the pish in the squad, a few decent signings could see us top 6 and maybe even challenge for a European place or a good cup run with Shanklands goal tally being double figures, with the first figure being a 2.

Edited by mishtergrolsch

5 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

In fairness to the manager his job was to keep us up. Hes done that with cherries on top.

Had we had the same resilience a few years ago we'd never have gone down. 

I'd love to see the club try to extend Shanklands contract (instead of offering Pawlett anything). Then ideally play to his strengths. Im fairly sure Mellon would have loved to have done the same all season but staying up was the priority. 

Considering the pish in the squad, a few decent signings could see us top 6 and maybe even challenge for a European place or a good cup run with Shanklands goal tally being double figures, with the first figure being a 2.

I’ve struggled to develop any liking of Mellon but the coming season is the one I’ll judge him on.

If he has a formation and style of play that he thinks is suited to the Scottish Premiership he must bring in the players to suit that.  This may sound obvious but I can think of past windows (particularly mid season) where the consensus was we needed to strengthen in a particular area and/or bring in a player with certain characteristics only to see a signing that made no sense.

4 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

I’ve struggled to develop any liking of Mellon but the coming season is the one I’ll judge him on.

If he has a formation and style of play that he thinks is suited to the Scottish Premiership he must bring in the players to suit that.  This may sound obvious but I can think of past windows (particularly mid season) where the consensus was we needed to strengthen in a particular area and/or bring in a player with certain characteristics only to see a signing that made no sense.

The formations and styles of play last season were eye bleeding. I dont know what else you'd expect from the same group of players (broadly speaking) at a higher level?

We have no cash to bring in 5 or 6 players, and the ones we've signed have improved the team (Fuchs and Edwards). The two loans have been poor but name me more than 2 loanees we've had in 20 years that have done well.

Mellon is not perfect. I dont think anyone will argue that, but please list a manager who's not made a signing thats been questionable. Christ, even Houston and Levein signed some random players that made no sense. 

1 hour ago, Mark Connolly said:

Hard to disagree on the loans.

For as average as McNulty has been, he is lightyears ahead of some of our most recent loanees.

Our loan list over the last decade looks like this.

Aaron Kuhl, Adam Taggart, Charlie Seaman, Tony Ralston, Craig Slater, Brandon Mason, Alex Nicholls, Thomas Mikkelsen, Kyle Knoyle, Riku Riski, Farid El Alagui, Curtis Good, Milos Lacny.

McNulty isn't near the worst by a long shot.

43 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Our loan list over the last decade looks like this.

Aaron Kuhl, Adam Taggart, Charlie Seaman, Tony Ralston, Craig Slater, Brandon Mason, Alex Nicholls, Thomas Mikkelsen, Kyle Knoyle, Riku Riski, Farid El Alagui, Curtis Good, Milos Lacny.

McNulty isn't near the worst by a long shot.

?width=580&version=3886187

15 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

The formations and styles of play last season were eye bleeding. I dont know what else you'd expect from the same group of players (broadly speaking) at a higher level?

We have no cash to bring in 5 or 6 players, and the ones we've signed have improved the team (Fuchs and Edwards). The two loans have been poor but name me more than 2 loanees we've had in 20 years that have done well.

Mellon is not perfect. I dont think anyone will argue that, but please list a manager who's not made a signing thats been questionable. Christ, even Houston and Levein signed some random players that made no sense. 

I’m trying to work out if you agree or disagree with the point of a manager  bringing in players to compliment the system he/she/they want to play.

When we brought in McNulty we had Shankland, Clark and Appere; we were desperately short of quality wide players.  So why bring in a striker and play him wide?

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

I’m trying to work out if you agree or disagree with the point of a manager  bringing in players to compliment the system he/she/they want to play.

When we brought in McNulty we had Shankland, Clark and Appere; we were desperately short of quality wide players.  So why bring in a striker and play him wide?

Obviously a manager will need to bring in players to fit a system but our squad was so imbalanced from last season youd need 2 or 3 normal transfer windows to sort it out. Never mind having Covid to f**k everything up.

Maybe he felt McNulty could cover all forward positions because we didn't have the funds to sign a left winger, right winger and a forward.

Why he didn't play Sporle earlier and give Chalmers more game time is weird, however.

4 hours ago, Loemba90 said:

Doncaster want Mellon as manager according to Daily Record.

I heard before the Hamilton game that we have agreed to mutually terminate his contract at the end of the season. The rumour is that we have already lined up a young coach who will play the youths more regularly and Mellon is annoyed at not getting the backing he was promised, regardless of Covid impacts, from Asghar and the board. Asghar has also overruled him on some players he wanted to bring in earlier too.

Allegedly.

Sounded like the usual rumour shite thats been going about to me but maybe there's some truth in there somewhere? Is MM is lining up his next job back down south?

Ho hum.

1 hour ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

Played right back in the second half of the relegation season. I may be in a minority of one here, but I thought he was ok.

I'm with you on that. He did alright for us considering it was his first experience of first team football and we were enduring an absolutely shambolic season on and off the park.

Edited by captainkev

1 hour ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Obviously a manager will need to bring in players to fit a system but our squad was so imbalanced from last season youd need 2 or 3 normal transfer windows to sort it out. Never mind having Covid to f**k everything up.

Maybe he felt McNulty could cover all forward positions because we didn't have the funds to sign a left winger, right winger and a forward.

Why he didn't play Sporle earlier and give Chalmers more game time is weird, however.

I heard before the Hamilton game that we have agreed to mutually terminate his contract at the end of the season. The rumour is that we have already lined up a young coach who will play the youths more regularly and Mellon is annoyed at not getting the backing he was promised, regardless of Covid impacts, from Asghar and the board. Asghar has also overruled him on some players he wanted to bring in earlier too.

Allegedly.

Sounded like the usual rumour shite thats been going about to me but maybe there's some truth in there somewhere? Is MM is lining up his next job back down south?

Ho hum.

I'm not Mellon's biggest fan, and I've certainly been frustrated by how much Appéré's been sidelined. However, assuming the rumour is true it'd be harsh for the club to be particularly unhappy with him about youth player game time. Given that it's our first season back in the top flight I don't think he's done that badly.

Neilson got a good amount of time before he went out on loan. Chalmers was getting a good run prior to his injury. Even Freeman had an opportunity at right back early on when Smith was out.

Edited by captainkev

17 minutes ago, captainkev said:

I'm not Mellon's biggest fan, and I've certainly been frustrated by how much Appéré's been sidelined. However, assuming the rumour is true it'd be harsh for the club to be particularly unhappy with him about youth player game time. Given that it's our first season back in the top flight I don't think he's done that badly.

Neilson got a good amount of time before he went out on loan. Chalmers was getting a good run prior to his injury. Even Freeman had an opportunity at right back early on when Smith was out.

I agree.

Personally, i think he's done a really good job with what he's got. While some games have been awful, we can't say "Neilson needed to get us up however terrible it is, no questions asked" and then say "Mellon needs to keep us up this season with Neilsons squad but its got to be enjoyable football".

The young lads will get a chance, I think this season was too important to rely any more heavily on them. If, however, we don't see all that many from now to the end of the season and into next season, I'll be very disappointed. 

1 hour ago, mishtergrolsch said:

I agree.

Personally, i think he's done a really good job with what he's got. While some games have been awful, we can't say "Neilson needed to get us up however terrible it is, no questions asked" and then say "Mellon needs to keep us up this season with Neilsons squad but its got to be enjoyable football".

The young lads will get a chance, I think this season was too important to rely any more heavily on them. If, however, we don't see all that many from now to the end of the season and into next season, I'll be very disappointed. 

Chalmers and Appere aside, the good ones are all out on loan. I would like to see those two getting more starts though before the end of the season though, particularly Chalmers.

I'm ambivalent on Mellon. He seems like a decent, honest guy and I feel like he's got the players organised defensively, fit and working really hard. The attacking football though leaves a lot to be desired. I'm willing to accept that might just be the stage we're at; that the attacking play will get better as the players continue to develop together. I have my doubts though.