Stranraer v Hibernian

Confirmed now, and less than a fortnight until the game. Day and KO time to be confirmed.

Hibs first visit to Stranraer since Jan 2002 - 0-0 draw, followed by 4-0 up at Easter Road.

Oh, and we only have 3 crucial league games against the teams immediately above us in the table between now and the tie!

Will be the tenth meeting between the clubs - all since 1988.

Confirmed now, and less than a fortnight until the game. Day and KO time to be confirmed.

Hibs first visit to Stranraer since Jan 2002 - 0-0 draw, followed by 4-0 up at Easter Road.

Oh, and we only have 3 crucial league games against the teams immediately above us in the table between now and the tie!

Will be the tenth meeting between the clubs - all since 1988.

If 1988 was the first ever game I've a feeling that was Steve Archibalds debut for Hibs. Scored twice I think, maybe 3-0?

That's right, the first time the two teams had ever met was the season 1988-89 Skol Cup game at Easter Road. Given the Hibs team it's no surprise The Blues lost 4-0 with goals from Kane (4), Evans (34), Archibald (73 and 77). We took about 200 up to that game and I remember the pie stall had only ordered 2 dozen pies for the away support!

Hibs team was Andy Goram, Gordon Hunter, Alan Sneddon, Neil Orr (George McCluskey), Gordon Rae, Tommy McIntyre, Micky Weir, Steve Archibald, Paul Kane, John Collins, Gareth Evans (Joe Tortolano).

Stranraer were Duffy, Lowe, Hay, Watt, Rogers, McCutcheon, McQueen, McNiven, Arthur (Lloyd), Frye, Henderson.

Stevie Archibald v Neil Watt.jpg

In terms of recent games, we’ve had a couple of strange ones, one in particular I remember.

There was a 1-0 in the league cup where we won from an own goal but that is going to be 0 fun to talk about so on to the more exciting stuff.

Hibernian 5-3 Stranraer; this was just such a strange night. 

Stranraer took a 1-0 lead then Hibs went 4-1 up, suddenly it was 4-3 before Liam Craig made it 5 with a penalty.

Abdellah Zoubir scored for Hibs, apparently, I was there and I remember it being a massive deflection and a definite own goal, which would have made 3 out of the 8 goals own goals. Zoubir now plays for Qarabag of Azerbaijan and scored two goals for them in the Europa League Group Stage this season.

Rowan Vine actually pretty much made the other own goal all by himself crossing it across the face of goal for it to be turned in by Scott Rumsby (who also scored an own goal against us in 2015 - some record from the boy!) It would not be a stretch to say that this was the only remotely decent thing he ever did in a Hibs top and to say that about  a League Cup game against Stranraer (no disrespect) is pretty damning.

Liam Craig (remembered for flopping at Hibs also) scored a hat trick!

Chris Aitken scored one of Stranraers and if I remember right it was a beauty. I’m sure he was Stevie Aitkens brother too?

And of course the other own goal was scored by Michael bloody Nelson.

There are many stories going around about some of the shite we had in our team at that time but my favourite is James Collins in the Hibs team who was totally pish after costing us £200k; now has 8 caps for Ireland and is renowned for pishing into a beer glass and lobbing it off a balcony at Cheltenham.

Edited by Les Cabbage

On 07/04/2021 at 21:40, stranraerfc1870 said:

That's right, the first time the two teams had ever met was the season 1988-89 Skol Cup game at Easter Road. Given the Hibs team it's no surprise The Blues lost 4-0 with goals from Kane (4), Evans (34), Archibald (73 and 77). We took about 200 up to that game and I remember the pie stall had only ordered 2 dozen pies for the away support!

Hibs team was Andy Goram, Gordon Hunter, Alan Sneddon, Neil Orr (George McCluskey), Gordon Rae, Tommy McIntyre, Micky Weir, Steve Archibald, Paul Kane, John Collins, Gareth Evans (Joe Tortolano).

Stranraer were Duffy, Lowe, Hay, Watt, Rogers, McCutcheon, McQueen, McNiven, Arthur (Lloyd), Frye, Henderson.

Stevie Archibald v Neil Watt.jpg

That is a Hibs line up right out of my favourite memories of watching Hibs. Even Tommy McIntyre....

On 07/04/2021 at 22:57, Les Cabbage said:

In terms of recent games, we’ve had a couple of strange ones, one in particular I remember.

There was a 1-0 in the league cup where we won from an own goal but that is going to be 0 fun to talk about so on to the more exciting stuff.

Hibernian 5-3 Stranraer; this was just such a strange night. 

Stranraer took a 1-0 lead then Hibs went 4-1 up, suddenly it was 4-3 before Liam Craig made it 5 with a penalty.

Abdellah Zoubir scored for Hibs, apparently, I was there and I remember it being a massive deflection and a definite own goal, which would have made 3 out of the 8 goals own goals. Zoubir now plays for Qarabag of Azerbaijan and scored two goals for them in the Europa League Group Stage this season.

Rowan Vine actually pretty much made the other own goal all by himself crossing it across the face of goal for it to be turned in by Scott Rumsby (who also scored an own goal against us in 2015 - some record from the boy!) It would not be a stretch to say that this was the only remotely decent thing he ever did in a Hibs top and to say that about  a League Cup game against Stranraer (no disrespect) is pretty damning.

Liam Craig (remembered for flopping at Hibs also) scored a hat trick!

Chris Aitken scored one of Stranraers and if I remember right it was a beauty. I’m sure he was Stevie Aitkens brother too?

And of course the other own goal was scored by Michael bloody Nelson.

There are many stories going around about some of the shite we had in our team at that time but my favourite is James Collins in the Hibs team who was totally pish after costing us £200k; now has 8 caps for Ireland and is renowned for pishing into a beer glass and lobbing it off a balcony at Cheltenham.

Yes, I remember that day.  Absolutely terrific game to watch.

Don't understand why Kevin Kyle is the guest alongside Steven Thomson on the tv today, he never played for the club but was born in Stranraer, that's his only link. Willie Gibson, Jamie Longworth Michael Moore are names that spring to mind that mean more to Blues fans. There are many others who would be appropriate. Steven Thomson won't use the term Clayholer today to describe natives of the town.