Motherwell vs Greenock Morton - Scottish Cup 4th Round

25 minutes ago, Bob in Denny said:

I must drink weaker coffee in the morning,

did I just see a pile of St Mirren lads in here rooting for the Ton,

the Gus effect.

They would be attracted by the penalties at the end, each of them awarded after no offence had occurred.

Well I was pleasantly surprised a few times over. We didn't concede 5 in the first half and we played some nice enough football that I wasn't watching us play at Fir Park through my fingers for a change.

Scoring one of the latest equalising goals I've ever seen after conceding at the end of extra time had me jumping about in front of the telly and penalties are just penalties and we're not very good at them so good luck Motherwell in the next round.

We definitely got away with a clear penalty near the end. McGinty is fucking useless so it's fitting that after tripping a player from being on the wrong side that he misses the penalty that put us out.

19 hours ago, GiGi said:

Well I was pleasantly surprised a few times over. We didn't concede 5 in the first half and we played some nice enough football that I wasn't watching us play at Fir Park through my fingers for a change.

Scoring one of the latest equalising goals I've ever seen after conceding at the end of extra time had me jumping about in front of the telly and penalties are just penalties and we're not very good at them so good luck Motherwell in the next round.

We definitely got away with a clear penalty near the end. McGinty is fucking useless so it's fitting that after tripping a player from being on the wrong side that he misses the penalty that put us out.

Whilst you did not win for the 1st time at Fir Park in ages, technically you did not lose. Not over actual minutes of football anyway. 

It would have been more painful had you scored and we had equalised at the death. Penalties are supposedly a lottery but fair play to Motherwell two penalty shoot outs and all penalties converted is a decent record this season. 

we should have had a penalty and to me it looked like Collum was going to give and then inexplicable changed his mind. My simply theory is we were not playing in black and white stripes where you basically get a penalty for opposition stepping on white lines. 

I doubt we will beat Hibs - on that performance certainly. Our players despite talking the talk seem incapable of stepping up. Missing Watt and Roberts has not helped and if Campbell is also now injured 🙏

3 hours ago, welldaft said:

I doubt we will beat Hibs - on that performance certainly. Our players despite talking the talk seem incapable of stepping up. Missing Watt and Roberts has not helped and if Campbell is also now injured 🙏

In fairness to our collection of shitebags we're unbeaten against Hibs at Easter Road this season. I'd honestly feel a bit more confident about beating them than I would Stranraer.

The problem(s) seem to have been in games against teams who we completely underestimate (inexplicably given our record in those types of games).

Edited by capt_oats

23 hours ago, capt_oats said:

In fairness to our collection of shitebags we're unbeaten against Hibs at Easter Road this season. I'd honestly feel a bit more confident about beating them than I would Stranraer.

The problem(s) seem to have been in games against teams who we completely underestimate (inexplicably given our record in those types of games).

Arguably outside of Rangers this is the toughest tie.  Team in 3rd at their ground.

But I agree I am almost relieved it is Hibs away rather than St Johnstone / St Mirren or Killie at Fir Park.  Strange but there is less expectation and trepidation from me this Saturday.

It is hard to see past Rangers romping it in any case.  Defeatist maybe or just a sense of realism.