Motherwell vs Greenock Morton - Scottish Cup 4th Round

To say we have been woeful so far is being kind. Morton have been the better side. We have a midfield full of dross. It would be difficult to know which side is in which league. Maguire and Crawford would not get a start in any team I could pick !

I commented in a WhatsApp that Motherwell must drop off to a ridiculous extent without Allan Campbell if we're dominating the midfield against them, only to have it pointed out that Campbell is in fact playing. Forced to conclude that we're actually brilliant if Jacobs and McGinn are running the midfield to the extent I hadn't noticed him for the first 25 minutes, nothing to do with me not paying attention.

I'm still expecting to lose this as the defence will be opened up at some point, but this is a really encouraging performance. We're so much better with the 4-5-1 than back three, Nesbitt's not looked this dangerous in a long time.

1 minute ago, Dunning1874 said:

I commented in a WhatsApp that Motherwell must drop off to a ridiculous extent without Allan Campbell if we're dominating the midfield against them, only to have it pointed out that Campbell is in fact playing. Forced to conclude that we're actually brilliant if Jacobs and McGinn are running the midfield to the extent I hadn't noticed him for the first 25 minutes, nothing to do with me not paying attention.

I'm still expecting to lose this as the defence will be opened up at some point, but this is a really encouraging performance. We're so much better with the 4-5-1 than back three, Nesbitt's not looked this dangerous in a long time.

Campbell's best performances for us have come when he's given a role where he can be box to box. There was a point where we had Donnelly, P*lworth and Campbell which meant we had a nice balance of hammer throwing and passing.

I reckon anyone would struggle playing next to Maguire and Crawford tonight.

First 35 mins we were the better team. Last 10 mins felt a bit desperate trying to hang in and take the game into half time at 0-0.

That's as good as I've ever seen Nesbitt play for us tbh.

We're definitely still in this game. Should really be 1 up with Lyon only with the keeper to beat. 

Well finishing the 1st half on top without making real cut chances.

Happy enough with the way we're playing though  

Came into it a bit in the last 10 minutes of the half but Morton by far the better team for the majority of it.

This midfield 3 is absolutely dire creatively but we've not really got much on the bench to mix it up. I'd consider Hastie and O'Hara to come on and try and up the pace and tempo a bit of we don't get a relatively early goal in the second half...which based on that first half seems pretty unlikely.