Clyde vs Cove

Poor Cove performance. No ambition, no purpose in the play. So easy to defend against.

Disappointing draw with Falkirk slipping  up. Without Mitch we show no signings of a title challenging side.

Desperately miss Harry Milne and to a lesser extent Masson too.

Broque, McIntosh, Hanratty all not good enough.

Fyvie  some games I feel only wants ever play sideways passes.

Clyde have enough about them with Cunningham, Cuddihy, Jamieson and Goodwillie. Will pick up points towards end of season as can score. 

Edited by CoveRangers1922

We certainly didn't deserve anything more than that. I don't think we would get away with playing that way at Broadwood in front of a crowd, as much as it's the best we can do. The sooner we can have a summer clearout the better.

I'd imagine all the subs will start on Thursday and we will need to open up a bit. It's an absolute must win.

Needs to be one game we have to go for a win. Thankfully goodie might be in that team starting..

Ive said since 1st game o season our supply chain is weak and yes mcstay was frustrating but was very very effictive (Look at 2nd goal v dumbarton before lockdown when mcstay got us park again from v tight position in last min)..

Grant was amazing but Mcstay brought goals and brought on players like Lamont who is cleary missing the type around him & Central defender is getting the nod before him to go up top tonight was rather bizarre from all parties...

Not going to the old road of players missing that has been spoken about to death but point im making is Nicoll return has been huge in terms of sealing the leak but going other way is still a problem since day1 and never beem addressed...

Finally brings me onto to last point, Ton Lang is rightly a fans fav but "buying" a player from Dunfermline for only a one year deal wouldnt have been for me as pre contract confirmed & not a criticism of the lad but wasteful funds that could have been used to address the above...

Hindsight eh

21 minutes ago, Bully Wee Clyde FC said:

Fair do's my arithmetic is pish...but 5 from 15 is still not great form and not better than pre lock down.

You can add in 2 cup wins in terms of form since the restart. Also, with the sheer amount of games and crazy fixture list, I think the boys have done well. Hopefully that's our injuries cleared up also. Still work to be done if we want to stay in this league right enough. 

Fair do's my arithmetic is pish...but 5 from 15 is still not great form and not better than pre lock down.
We weren't playing 3 games a week before the shut down and we've also had 4 away games in a row. We've also won 2 games in the Scottish Cup since the restart.

The first game back against East Fife was poor but since then we haven't conceded many and generally been tough to beat.

The game on Thursday against Forfar is huge.

Yeah I’d say our form isn’t awful, with difficult fixtures and the very real problems part time players will be having trying to even be available for these games .

Thursday a big game , but typical Clyde woukd be to struggle then and pick  up points next two away games 

Edited by Clydeontheup

I can't find it in me to be critical of five from fifteen in the circumstances. Nor of the performance tonight. I could say that I've watched friendlies with more intensity and that'd be true but it'd be shooting fish in a barrel. Nobody has suffered through a fixture list like this before. And everyone would trade in the two cup wins for league wins if they could. But remember that we've taken five from fifteen for a large part without a fit David Goodwillie and Tom Lang. Bear in mind also that with the full-time players and big squad that we have, we may yet lever those advantages further.

Five from fifteen is dreadful if you're Manchester City maybe. But if you're a part-time team in league one with a fixture list like ours your frame of reference can't be so stark. A fairer comparison would be with the form of the other part-time teams since the restart. And while we mayn't be the best of that bunch at this point, like I say, we've plenty time yet to lever our fresher legs and the quality of players who've been injured lately.

All that said, yes, we could use a few upgrades in the summer if we want to kick-on in this league. The same would follow if we were relegated in my opinion.

Guest andyp1301
8 hours ago, shawfield shed boy said:

Needs to be one game we have to go for a win. Thankfully goodie might be in that team starting..

Ive said since 1st game o season our supply chain is weak and yes mcstay was frustrating but was very very effictive (Look at 2nd goal v dumbarton before lockdown when mcstay got us park again from v tight position in last min)..

Grant was amazing but Mcstay brought goals and brought on players like Lamont who is cleary missing the type around him & Central defender is getting the nod before him to go up top tonight was rather bizarre from all parties...

Not going to the old road of players missing that has been spoken about to death but point im making is Nicoll return has been huge in terms of sealing the leak but going other way is still a problem since day1 and never beem addressed...

Finally brings me onto to last point, Ton Lang is rightly a fans fav but "buying" a player from Dunfermline for only a one year deal wouldnt have been for me as pre contract confirmed & not a criticism of the lad but wasteful funds that could have been used to address the above...

Hindsight eh

Kev has grabbed his chance with both hands and has been a revelation. Playing well within himself with economy of movement and his natural football brain and positional nous is what was missing. It is clear to see the protection now for the back 4 with Kev in there. At least another season in him for us.

Your last point....I disagree....he had a rough deal at DAFC and needed a year to get playing again and we nipped in and got him ahead of Falkirk and Raith who were making enquires. I also don't think any money went to DAFC for him.......and even if it did......not sure it would have prevented us getting that creative midfielder we desperately needed and still do, plenty in the kitty according to the accounts. Leitch left Peterhead for Stirling....he should have been our man.

9 hours ago, shawfield shed boy said:

Hindsight eh

Completely agree on Mcstay - his ability to get us yards, very much missed.

Nicol to me looks a far better fit in our current team than he did besides a grant it mcstay. Fair play to him though, he’s proved to be far more useful than I thought .

Without getting dragged into how much Lang costs , or how much he cost us, the necessity to get him back was probably more out of two year deals handed out to the likes of rumbsby and mcniff. Both honest excellent servants, who who have both been decent recently. But not what we want or need to be looking up rather than battling the drop. Lang plays best with us, but has never seen us as anything other than a route to get to full time , which is fair enough. Still think he’s not as good as he thinks and would benifit by staying and becoming a more rounded player. He’s at his best with us , rather than what he was with Dumbarton or Dunfermline. With Raith signing Berra - will he even be a starter?

Edited by Clydeontheup

11 hours ago, shawfield shed boy said:

Hindsight eh

Lang didn't cost us any money. Dunfermline paid for him from us, on a deal that was structured with payments scheduled over the course of his 2-year deal. When he re-signed, the remaining year of payments was essentially just cancelled.

We need solid centre halves at this level and he's one of the best in L1. If we didn't bring Lang back and used his wage elsewhere, we may have signed a midfielder that didn't work out and would have been left with a set of centre halves that don't inspire that much confidence, as much as I like them all. At least with Lang he gave us a known quantity.

I think we’ve got a great centre half in Howie for next season (if he stays). However, I would be looking to move on Rumsby and McNiff and bringing in someone with quality alongside Howie. Both have been good servants but it’s clear we need some improvements to the squad.

13 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Poor Cove performance. No ambition, no purpose in the play. So easy to defend against.

Disappointing draw with Falkirk slipping  up. Without Mitch we show no signings of a title challenging side.

Clyde have enough about them with Cunningham, Cuddihy, Jamieson and Goodwillie. Will pick up points towards end of season as can score. 

13 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

I’m glad you’ve said this as I’ve said something similar on the Facebook fans page.

For me a missed opportunity last night having had all that possession and only 1 goal to show for it. We are relying heavily on the players from the Highland league days and not getting enough out of the numerous signings Hartley has made. 

Am I wrong in thinking we should be expecting more from them? 

Not a great watch that but good to reply so soon to going behind and it could be a crucial point come the end of the season. 

Can only imagine Lennon continued with Love at left-back and moved Otoo into midfield to get more energy alongside Nicoll on the bigger pitch but I wasn't really a fan of him in that role. Get him back to left-back tomorrow. 

Lang didn't cost us any money. Dunfermline paid for him from us, on a deal that was structured with payments scheduled over the course of his 2-year deal. When he re-signed, the remaining year of payments was essentially just cancelled.
We need solid centre halves at this level and he's one of the best in L1. If we didn't bring Lang back and used his wage elsewhere, we may have signed a midfielder that didn't work out and would have been left with a set of centre halves that don't inspire that much confidence, as much as I like them all. At least with Lang he gave us a known quantity.
So if effect it did cost us money bringing him back wrongly in my opinion for only a one year deal when clearly that was all he was staying..

We had 3 centre halfs at club before he returned and of course any signing a risk but i would have rather we used it for a attacking centre mid of choice..

This isnt a witch hunt against TL may i add but one year deal and loss of transfer fee wouldnt have been for me

Guest andyp1301
5 hours ago, Clydeontheup said:

Completely agree on Mcstay - his ability to get us yards, very much missed.

Nicol to me looks a far better fit in our current team than he did besides a grant it mcstay. Fair play to him though, he’s proved to be far more useful than I thought .

Without getting dragged into how much Lang costs , or how much he cost us, the necessity to get him back was probably more out of two year deals handed out to the likes of rumbsby and mcniff. Both honest excellent servants, who who have both been decent recently. But not what we want or need to be looking up rather than battling the drop. Lang plays best with us, but has never seen us as anything other than a route to get to full time , which is fair enough. Still think he’s not as good as he thinks and would benifit by staying and becoming a more rounded player. He’s at his best with us , rather than what he was with Dumbarton or Dunfermline. With Raith signing Berra - will he even be a starter?

I think you are being extremely unfair and over critical of Lang....you are making some big assumptions about his motives.....a young footballer who wants to be full time.....imagine? Would you rather he'd never played for us?

Guest andyp1301
4 hours ago, Brian Carrigan said:

Agree entirely with you Brian.

Guest andyp1301
1 hour ago, shawfield shed boy said:

So if effect it did cost us money bringing him back wrongly in my opinion for only a one year deal when clearly that was all he was staying..

We had 3 centre halfs at club before he returned and of course any signing a risk but i would have rather we used it for a attacking centre mid of choice..

This isnt a witch hunt against TL may i add but one year deal and loss of transfer fee wouldnt have been for me

All valid points......but if a one year deal was all he and his agent were prepared to sign.......it's a hard one to let him go elsewhere, especially with his previous season's at the Club and his popularity. Unselfishly ,I'm delighted to see him step...maybe even to the SPL the way Raith are going, but selfishly ,I hope he gets loaned back to us next year. I think working with Berra and the like will bring him on massively.