Clyde vs Cove

After a punishing but fully expected pumping against Rangers, Cove take on Clyde on Tuesday night. Although I don't think confidence will be dented by the severe 4-0 loss, more worrying is we could be without our talisman Mitch Megginson who is doubtful with a groin injury. 

McIntosh is also an injury concern but in all truthfulness it would be a blessing if he doesn't make it.

Since the restart Cove have looked fairly composed on the ball and are improving with each game, just missing the killer instinct up top.

Clyde are 4 points from 12 since the League restart with a good away win against Peterhead. A great result against Ayr to throw in the mix too.

All to play for tomorrow night. Wouldn't like to call this one. Will be tight.

Edited by CoveRangers1922

Predicted starting lineup:

McKenzie

Ross Graham Strachan Ngwenya

Yule Fyvie Scully Smith

Hanratty McAllister

I think Mitch won't be chanced for this one. Masson will definitely miss out.

Out of that 11 only 1 player has a league goal this season, Rory with 5. Hanratty, on loan from Aberdeen, I feel can score goals but is unproven.

Don't see us scoring more than 1 so we'll need to be tight defensively. Centre back Graham is looking a fine player

Queer tactics from Cove at Ibrox to start off with. Made the pitch very big and tried to play out from the back. I thought they done well once they packed that in. Although I expect Rangers' quality and intensity would've come through whatever the case was. Losing 4-0 away to Rangers is nothing to be ashamed about in my opinion.

Be a far less cagey affair at Broadwood tomorrow of course. I doubt either team would be happy with less than all three points. Very hard to guess how it'll go because there's such a question mark hung over player selection and fitness levels for both sides.

1 hour ago, Clydeside said:

Queer tactics from Cove at Ibrox to start off with. Made the pitch very big and tried to play out from the back. I thought they done well once they packed that in. Although I expect Rangers' quality and intensity would've come through whatever the case was. Losing 4-0 away to Rangers is nothing to be ashamed about in my opinion.

Be a far less cagey affair at Broadwood tomorrow of course. I doubt either team would be happy with less than all three points. Very hard to guess how it'll go because there's such a question mark hung over player selection and fitness levels for both sides.

It was in a way as we were never going to pass it through them from the back. Kudos for trying to stick to our passing style of play but wrong tactic against that opposition.

Saying that punting it up to Mitch would have resulted in it coming right back at us but at least we could have set ourselves. Giving it away at our own 18 yard box was daft.

Looking forward to Tuesday, ticket bought, let's hope it's a contest and best team on the night wins

18 minutes ago, TheBigGuy said:

Don’t see Clyde getting much here. 0-2 to the visitors. I do expect a win on Thursday though :)

I'm the opposite; we'll surely just let Cove have the ball and scrap like we have the last few games, rely on Cunningham, Jamieson or Goodwillie to come up with a goal on the break. Fullbacks not going over the halfway line, tight midfield.

Against Forfar we'll need to try and actually play a bit of football. Not sure that will suit us.

4 hours ago, Clydeside said:

Sounds like the Barry Ferguson brainwave of "lets play expansive football at Ibrox", leading to a 7-1(?) pumping.

1 hour ago, bhoonaman said:

Sounds like the Barry Ferguson brainwave of "lets play expansive football at Ibrox", leading to a 7-1(?) pumping.

8-1 even worse. 5-0 at half time

4 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

That's the Dons, we're not into that kinda of shenanigans!

Just out of curiosity what do Cove see themselves as? A 2nd team from Aberdeen, Aberdeenshire, Cove and Proud etc

14 minutes ago, RosspCfc said:

Just out of curiosity what do Cove see themselves as? A 2nd team from Aberdeen, Aberdeenshire, Cove and Proud etc

Cove is part of Aberdeen City (just) and to be honest not a huge fan base for being a Highland League team for so long. That might chance come time and depending on how successful we could become or not!

A lot of the fans would classify them as only Cove fans but some would support/look out for Aberdeen results too. I'm in the former camp and don't have any tie to the Dons. 

Aberdeen as a city can only benefit from Cove trying to rise the leagues. Gives a bit of spice and rivalry. 

Edit: since we're so new into the leagues we haven't benefited from any alliance with the likes of Aberdeen to get some decent talent from them on loan. If we can step up to the Championship (big ask) a few might come our way.

13 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Cove is part of Aberdeen City (just) and to be honest not a huge fan base for being a Highland League team for so long. That might change come time and depending on how successful we could become or not!

It might change with Aberdeen's move away out to Kingswells and how successful they are or not !   Not entirely sure they've thought that through and taking folk who decide to go to a game relatively last minute into account. 

As for tonight, I suppose with the situation we're in we have to view the home games as "must wins" and just look to grind out whatever we can in the away games and hope by the end of it all we're in a decent position.  Just don't know how long the players can sustain the energy levels, even with rotation, of another two weeks playing a game every two days or so.  Absolutely unbelievable that this schedule was agreed by the clubs to accommodate another 4 games which have no obvious reason other than to either avoid season ticket refunds or more likely, squeeze some more Pay Per View income.   

13 minutes ago, BrigtonClyde said:

It might change with Aberdeen's move away out to Kingswells and how successful they are or not !   Not entirely sure they've thought that through and taking folk who decide to go to a game relatively last minute into account. 

As for tonight, I suppose with the situation we're in we have to view the home games as "must wins" and just look to grind out whatever we can in the away games and hope by the end of it all we're in a decent position.  Just don't know how long the players can sustain the energy levels, even with rotation, of another two weeks playing a game every two days or so.  Absolutely unbelievable that this schedule was agreed by the clubs to accommodate another 4 games which have no obvious reason other than to either avoid season ticket refunds or more likely, squeeze some more Pay Per View income.   

I can't see that many people asking for a refund, so surely it must have been more complex than that?

6 hours ago, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:

I can't see that many people asking for a refund, so surely it must have been more complex than that?

Can't see that either, was a theory suggested by someone else.  PPV on the other hand, different story.  Whatever it is, they couldn't feasibly argue it's in the interests of sport, an attempt to make the league "fairer".    If anything, it's the other way round.  Survival of the fittest, literally.

18 hours ago, C. Muir said:

Chance Lang could be available for this, albeit in protective head gear. Amazingly we've not really seemed to miss him in the last few games.

Definitely great to have Tom back in some capacity. I’m with you though, we’ve kept clean sheets in two out of our last three games and looked fairly solid. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it, as they say! We need to be hard to beat first and foremost in this run in. Tom has the tendency to run out of position at times and we need to be hard to beat tonight. He is a more than capable sub and if we don’t use him then it’s longer healing time for him. Would rather have cover and everyone at their best for the run in.  

22 hours ago, RosspCfc said:

Cove is part of Aberdeen City (just) and to be honest not a huge fan base for being a Highland League team for so long. A lot of the fans would classify them as only Cove fans but some would support/look out for Aberdeen results too. I'm in the former camp and don't have any tie to the Dons. 

Aberdeen as a city can only benefit from Cove trying to rise the leagues. Gives a bit of spice and rivalry. 

Cove start like this. Disappointed we go 4-5-1 and only Rory has a L1 goal this season out of the starting 11. Poor statistic. Doesn't fill me with confidence.

As I said before surprised if we score any more than 1 goal tonight. 

In my eyes we should have gone 4-4-2 with Hanratty alongside Rory.

Huge chance for Clyde with no Mitch and Masson. Beat us last time with Mitch it must be said!!

Screenshot_20210406-183502.jpg