EoS Structure for 2021/22

1 hour ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Off you go an advocate for everyone entering at the same level in the WoSFL then.

What a misunderstanding you have.

As has been flagged up before the quality of the EoS new clubs will be significantly different from the clubs which may enter the WoS as all but one of them will not be former Juniors. The vast majority of next season's EoS will be ex Juniors.

It has also been stated that the strength of clubs below the Premier Division of the EoS will vary from season to season. For that very reason all clubs should be placed into Tier 7 for next season.

As has been flagged up before the quality of the EoS new clubs will be significantly different from the clubs which may enter the WoS as all but one of them will not be former Juniors. The vast majority of next season's EoS will be ex Juniors.
It has also been stated that the strength of clubs below the Premier Division of the EoS will vary from season to season. For that very reason all clubs should be placed into Tier 7 for next season.

The quality or otherwise of new members is absolutely irrelevant.

I'm still surprised they came back this season with COVID going on. Do you know if this is another year of a non playing membership, or an outright folding?
Joining Border Amateurs, sounds like it's the end of the road for their EoS membership, for now at least.

1 hour ago, Dev said:

I have no misunderstanding what so ever. The WoSFL made a commitment to clubs that they wouldn't be negatively impacted by withdrawing in 2020-21. Which is the main reason for the running back of existing Conferences. The EoSFL heading into the 2020-21 season decided that it would be the last of Conferences and taking on a Premier-First-Second(/unknown due to appliants)

The compromise both appear to be making on that front is to repeat their existing Tier 7 Conferences with new applicants in a division below.

Because the East's new applicants have a Junior background some people seem to think they must be amazing. Failing to realise or consider that the majority of them would have been in the East Region South in 2018-19 if it hadn't been for the EoS Exodus. Whereas the West new applicants with a mix amateurs and youths are out their depth and need to be in a Development divison cos they're out their depth.

Very small sample size but the examples of St Cadoc's, Drumchapel United, and Edinburgh South beg to differ.

Either throw everyone in to one pot (which isn't actually equal since they don't all play each other) or honour the previous commitments made.

Edited by FairWeatherFan

2 hours ago, Burnieman said:
2 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:
I'm still surprised they came back this season with COVID going on. Do you know if this is another year of a non playing membership, or an outright folding?

Joining Border Amateurs, sounds like it's the end of the road for their EoS membership, for now at least.

The amateur team was happening regardless. EOS is done and can’t see a return 

9 minutes ago, heedthebaa said:

Gutted but not surprised.

With the growth of the East Lothian teams and Tweedmouth appearing, it’s diluted the amount of available players in the catchment. From what I remember the Eyemouth squad was mainly boys from Berwick and East Lothian and it was always tough then so it must have been an uphill battle recently. Loved a wee away day to Eyemouth too, always good craic!

Will never forget having to tip one of my own kickouts over my bar because of that b*****d wind 🙈😂

Edited by Spyro

Pity, maybe when the structure settles down they will consider a comeback. A Third Division is a better place for them, same with Duns.

40 minutes ago, Burnieman said:
1 hour ago, heedthebaa said:

Pity, maybe when the structure settles down they will consider a comeback. A Third Division is a better place for them, same with Duns.

Fucking shame after watching EU on and off for over 30 years, but the right decision imo. We need competitive football in the town, not pumpings. As soon as the junior influx started, we were fucked. There’s very little appetite locally from players here now. It’s a great wee club, catering well for all ages, with a small but committed committee, that didn’t take the decision lightly by the way.

Berwick, Coldstream, Tweedmouth and Dunbar if there’s any players wanting to test themselves, good old Border Ammie for the rest. Personally walking over to see a competitive game, with local lads is fine by me. The EOS has had a brilliant turnaround in recent years, which was much needed and I was in full support of, but it was always going to make it harder for the likes of EUFC 

Pity, was hoping to catch an EOS game at Warner Park next season. Ach well I'll try and catch a Borders Am game instead (and sneak out 5 mins before the end to avoid buying Heed a pint! :cheers)

10 hours ago, heedthebaa said:

Fucking shame after watching EU on and off for over 30 years, but the right decision imo. We need competitive football in the town, not pumpings. As soon as the junior influx started, we were fucked. There’s very little appetite locally from players here now. It’s a great wee club, catering well for all ages, with a small but committed committee, that didn’t take the decision lightly by the way.

Berwick, Coldstream, Tweedmouth and Dunbar if there’s any players wanting to test themselves, good old Border Ammie for the rest. Personally walking over to see a competitive game, with local lads is fine by me. The EOS has had a brilliant turnaround in recent years, which was much needed and I was in full support of, but it was always going to make it harder for the likes of EUFC 

If the EoS pans out the way it looks to be, then re-entering at the lowest level in a few years once all clubs find their level wouldn't be much of a step-up from Border Ams, so fingers crossed.  That equally applies to Duns if they fancy it.

12 hours ago, Spyro said:

With the growth of the East Lothian teams and Tweedmouth appearing, it’s diluted the amount of available players in the catchment. From what I remember the Eyemouth squad was mainly boys from Berwick and East Lothian and it was always tough then so it must have been an uphill battle recently. Loved a wee away day to Eyemouth too, always good craic!

Will never forget having to tip one of my own kickouts over my bar because of that b*****d wind 🙈😂

Great times there with Whitehill. Mince pies (rather than Scotch pies) were superb.

14 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

I have no misunderstanding what so ever. The WoSFL made a commitment to clubs that they wouldn't be negatively impacted by withdrawing in 2020-21. Which is the main reason for the running back of existing Conferences. The EoSFL heading into the 2020-21 season decided that it would be the last of Conferences and taking on a Premier-First-Second(/unknown due to appliants)

The compromise both appear to be making on that front is to repeat their existing Tier 7 Conferences with new applicants in a division below.

Because the East's new applicants have a Junior background some people seem to think they must be amazing. Failing to realise or consider that the majority of them would have been in the East Region South in 2018-19 if it hadn't been for the EoS Exodus. Whereas the West new applicants with a mix amateurs and youths are out their depth and need to be in a Development divison cos they're out their depth.

Very small sample size but the examples of St Cadoc's, Drumchapel United, and Edinburgh South beg to differ.

Either throw everyone in to one pot (which isn't actually equal since they don't all play each other) or honour the previous commitments made.

We will all have to go along with whatever the EoS clubs decide at the end of the day but some may prefer to get the Divisions sorted out on merit ASAP and some may choose another, more self centred, in my view, route!

53 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

If the EoS pans out the way it looks to be, then re-entering at the lowest level in a few years once all clubs find their level wouldn't be much of a step-up from Border Ams, so fingers crossed.  That equally applies to Chirnside if they fancy it.

Better 😉

Tbh, there’s a few Border Ams teams who could easily pass the criteria if they fancied the jump. Once there’s a linear structure then the prospect won’t seem so daunting. Although there a lot of good history there and lack of appetite for longer journeys that mean most clubs will probably prefer to stay amateur.

15 hours ago, Spyro said:

Never knew you were a goalie. Last time WW got drawn there in the cups it was 5-2. WW played their U21 goalie for whatever reason. I think Eyemouth scored first, WW quickly equalised, then the U21 goalie let a passbook roll under his foot for 2-1. The back four spent the rest of the game keeping the ball away from him... this is the legend Wayno scoring with a flick in the second half.

P1020836.thumb.jpeg.2545e637f394f573342315867f04acaf.jpeg

1 hour ago, The Mantis said:

Never knew you were a goalie. Last time WW got drawn there in the cups it was 5-2. WW played their U21 goalie for whatever reason. I think Eyemouth scored first, WW quickly equalised, then the U21 goalie let a passbook roll under his foot for 2-1. The back four spent the rest of the game keeping the ball away from him... this is the legend Wayno scoring with a flick in the second half.

P1020836.thumb.jpeg.2545e637f394f573342315867f04acaf.jpeg

Not guilty 😂

I was only 16 last time I played there! Must’ve been decent though as I was asked to sign for them afterwards but chose to stick with the amateurs, one of many regrets. 🤦‍♂️

Wayno did come to train/play with us for a few weeks on loan from WW recovering from an injury (2002ish). Got my arse handed to me and reckon he was still only at 70%... packed it in about a year later. Definitely all his fault 🙃😂

20 hours ago, Spyro said:

Now, that would be a good, ‘what happened next’ question on QoS 😊

Edited by Casey Jones

Here’s a simple proposal. It’s a straight repeat of this null and void season, removing Eyemouth and adding in the 11 new clubs in the ‘Third Division’. The Third Division champions get a ‘double promotion´ to the First Division for 2022/23 as an extra incentive for the newcomers. But no team is unfairly treated. Plenty to play for for everyone. (*Obviously detailed additional scenarios would need to be added in case numbers in the Premier go up or down as a consequence of promotion to and relegation from LL but this will always be needed in the pyramid).

2021/22 (playing it again)
18 Prem Division
16 First Div Con A + 14 First Div Con B (Eyemouth resigned)
11 Third Division (the new clubs)

2022/23 (aiming for)
16 Premier Division
16 First Division
16 Second Division
11 Third Division (leaves room for new members to join or an extra club coming down the from LL which would have a knock-on effect)

2021/22 how it works
18 Premier Division (34 matches)
*Assuming one up to and one down from LL
*bottom 4 relegated to First Div

16 First Division Con A (30 matches)
*champions promoted to Premier Div
*P2-P7 to First Division
*P8-P13 to Second Division
*P14-P16 relegated to Third Division

14 First Division Con B (26 matches)
*champions promoted to Premier Division
*P2-P6 to First Division
*P7 to P12 to Second Division
*P13-P14 relegated to Third Division

11 Third Division (26 matches)
[20 matches then split into top 4 and bottom 7. Top four play each other home and away again to equal 26 matches. Bottom 7 play each other else once more, thus 3 home and 3 away games, to also equal 26 matches]

*champions promoted to First Division
*P2 to P4 promoted to Second Division
*P5 (ie top of bottom 7 after split) promoted to Second Division
*P6 to P11 remain in Third Division

There was a nice write up on the EoS Facebook page about Eyemouth United withdrawing.

EYEMOUTH UNITED - LEAGUE RESIGNATION

It's our sad duty to confirm that at Thursday night's board meeting it was revealed Eyemouth United have resigned their membership of the league. The Berwickshire coast club have been unable to attract a manager prepared to dedicate themselves to what quite clearly is an extremely challenging role, following the resignation of previous manager Kevin Wright, and the club's committee have had to take the tough decision to withdraw from the league.

Formed in 1948, the Fishermen's best days in the main came in the club's first fifteen years - besides lifting the league title three times in a row in 1955, 1956 or 1957 they won a dozen cup competitions before 1960, the same year they reached the last eight of the Scottish Cup, at which stage they were knocked out by Kilmarnock at home. They also played Celtic twice in the cup, once at Parkhead and once at Eyemouth.

Success proved much harder to come by thereafter, but a fourth league title in 1971 and a Qualifying Cup success a year later gave Eyemouth supporters something to crow about. Harder times lay ahead, long term, and the club took a year out in 2019/20 to try and regroup - as with everything else Covid19 hindered their progress, and ultimately circumstances have overwhelmed the club. Although there won't be East Of Scotland League football played at Warner Park anytime soon, the club will continue to participate in the Border Amateur set-up while running youth teams who appear to compete well enough at their level.

It's a grave shame to have to post announcements of this nature - the harsh reality is the socio-economic climate prevalent in relatively sparsely-populated areas like Berwickshire nowadays doesn't lend itself to running successful football clubs. That, plus football's not the all-consuming pastime for as many as once was the case - sad but true.
Hope all across the game join us in wishing everyone involved at Eyemouth United all the very best with everything they do in future. Right now reality would seem to indicate it's unlikely we'll see their return in the foreseeable future, let's all hope though things might somehow swing in a positive direction someday.