EoS Structure for 2021/22

3 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

But that also applies to the top 7 teams who were denied a chance to qualify for the 2021-22 First Division, which we'd already have if it wasn't for Covid in January. This is the middle ground solution IMO.

That's the unfortunate part of the situation that can't be helped without complicated things further. Two wrongs don't make a right though in my eyes. 

Either go 16-15 & new applicants below playing x3 and work out the kinks of what it would look like in 2022-23

or

It's 14-14-14 with a clean slate, hard as that might be for some clubs to do for another season.

3 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

That's the unfortunate part of the situation that can't be helped without complicated things further. Two wrongs don't make a right though in my eyes. 

Either go 16-15 & new applicants below playing x3 and work out the kinks of what it would look like in 2022-23

or

It's 14-14-14 with a clean slate, hard as that might be for some clubs to do for another season.

I agree that a 14-14-14 setup would be best for next season.  I don't see the benefit creating a multi-level EOSFL at tiers 6/7/8/9.  Pyramids are meant to be widest at their lowest level.

55 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

I agree that a 14-14-14 setup would be best for next season.  I don't see the benefit creating a multi-level EOSFL at tiers 6/7/8/9.  Pyramids are meant to be widest at their lowest level.

On that point the EoS isn't the pyramid in isolation. It's already a regional league and what happens next season is only likely for that season.

The bigger concern for them is about getting a settled divisional structure that's competitively balanced.

1 hour ago, FairWeatherFan said:

I've no issue with that, would be preferable to get it over and done with. Just that some clubs might not want the WL clubs getting access to the Premier or First Division straightaway, though each proposal has its downsides. Suppose if there was to be a restriction on the new clubs, it could be no promotion to the Premier as that would be less confusing.

True or false?

The newly admitted clubs will start life as senior clubs within the seventh tier of Scottish football - and will play in conferences next season before then being split into divisions. A tentative start date for the new campaign is July 17 but is subject to change depending on government guidelines.”

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/eight-west-lothian-football-clubs-24014338

40 minutes ago, Pyramidic said:

True or false?

The newly admitted clubs will start life as senior clubs within the seventh tier of Scottish football - and will play in conferences next season before then being split into divisions. A tentative start date for the new campaign is July 17 but is subject to change depending on government guidelines.”

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/eight-west-lothian-football-clubs-24014338

As has been said, no decision yet on what the structure will look like for the new clubs. Expect we'll hear further soon although I believe the new clubs have been told by the EoS that a level below the existing Conferences is a strong possibility (well, one of the new clubs has been told that).

55 minutes ago, Pyramidic said:

True or false?

False - in keeping with the Daily Record's usual standard of journalism!!

I would use PPG from 2020-21 to put the top 6 from each of last season's conferences into a tier 7 First Division, which would allow the remaining 19 plus 11 newbies to be drawn into two parallel conferences of 15 at tier 8 for 2021-22.

That would be fair in:

- rewarding some for their performances on the pitch;

- preventing the newbies skipping ahead;

- not discouraging the newbies by placing them alone in a bottom tier;

- freshening up the conferences for the rest.

Basically the 11 new clubs would effectively be pushing the 12 best-performing conference teams upwards into their own division. 

And a 12-team First Division would leave spaces to be filled if expanding to 16 teams for season 2022-23, so there would plenty for teams in the two conferences to aim at (I would, if possible, have 2 automatic promotion places from each conference, with the bottom 2 of the First in an 8 team play off with 3-5 of each conference to ensure the right teams go into the right divisions).

Then the EoSFL can stop gobbling up clubs and focus instead on tying in with county/district amateur feeder leagues (where clubs qualify for the EoSFL by team performance, not just by application).

If they're also looking to reduce the top EoSFL division from 18 teams in 2021-22 down to 16 teams for 2022-23, then possibly go with a structure of:

2021-22

Premier (18)

First (10) 

Conferences (16 + 16)

- where the First Division is composed of the top 5 of each 2020-21 conference, decided by points-per-game;

- the 11 new clubs are either drawn into the remaining 2020-21 conferences, to make the numbers up to 16 in each (from the 10 + 11 remaining conference teams), or the whole lot (21 existing, plus 11 new) are just drawn into two new conferences of 16, for season 2021-22.

With the aim then being to produce a structure for season 20222-23 of:

Premier (16)

First (16)

Second (14)

Third (14)

To reach that, the 2021-22 Premier Division could relegate 3 automatically, with 1 automatically promoted from the First Division. Giving a Premier of 16 for 2022-23.

And the best 2 from each 2021-22 Conference could be automatically promoted. Giving a First Division of 16 for 2022-23.

The next best 7 of each 2021-22 Conference would then come together form the Second Division of 14 teams for 2022-23.

And the remaining 7 of each 2022-22 Conference would then form the Third Division of 14 teams for 2022-23.

(In the 2021-22 season, they could also add play offs between: 15th in the Premier and 2nd, 3rd, 4th in the First; and the bottom 2 of the First  Division and teams 3-5 of each of the Conferences.

Due to knock-on effects of the various pyramid play offs, at this level there would always need to be the proviso that promotion/relegation play off places could be converted to automatic places, and vice versa.)

Edited by theboke

5 hours ago, theboke said:

If they're also looking to reduce the top EoSFL division from 18 teams in 2021-22 down to 16 teams for 2022-23, then possibly go with a structure of:

2021-22

Premier (18)

First (10) 

Conferences (16 + 16)

- where the First Division is composed of the top 5 of each 2020-21 conference, decided by points-per-game;

- the 11 new clubs are either drawn into the remaining 2020-21 conferences, to make the numbers up to 16 in each (from the 10 + 11 remaining conference teams), or the whole lot (21 existing, plus 11 new) are just drawn into two new conferences of 16, for season 2021-22.

With the aim then being to produce a structure for season 20222-23 of:

Premier (16)

First (16)

Second (14)

Third (14)

To reach that, the 2021-22 Premier Division could relegate 3 automatically, with 1 automatically promoted from the First Division. Giving a Premier of 16 for 2022-23.

And the best 2 from each 2021-22 Conference could be automatically promoted. Giving a First Division of 16 for 2022-23.

The next best 7 of each 2021-22 Conference would then come together form the Second Division of 14 teams for 2022-23.

And the remaining 7 of each 2022-22 Conference would then form the Third Division of 14 teams for 2022-23.

(In the 2021-22 season, they could also add play offs between: 15th in the Premier and 2nd, 3rd, 4th in the First; and the bottom 2 of the First  Division and teams 3-5 of each of the Conferences.

Due to knock-on effects of the various pyramid play offs, at this level there would always need to be the proviso that promotion/relegation play off places could be converted to automatic places, and vice versa.)

On that The Lowland League will be back to 16 teams if Kelty go up and brechin come down

Makes me wish the EoSFL didn't vote to Null and Void. If they'd gone PPG, same as the LL, think to be consistent the LL would have had to accommodate some promotion from below.

Since the East did n&v, suppose they'll have to not organise in the basis of PPG, since 2020-21 effectively did not happen. Which probably means re-running the 16 + 15 Conferences, with the newbies in their own division of 11 below.

So for 2022-23 maybe the top 7 of each 2021-22 Conference, plus a couple down from the Premier, could form the First Division of 16.

The next 6 from each conference could automatically go into the Second Division.

The remaining 5 from the conferences could then play off against the best 3 from the newbies' division, to see which 2 teams would qualify to make up the rest of the Second Division of 14 teams.

The 6 play off losers could join the remaining 8 newbies in the Third Division of 14 teams for 2022-23.

Something like that.

On the cup front I can see them doing the Alex Jack & King Cup draws as normal since they're mainly for below the Premier and have fewer league games. 

Then hold off on the Qualifying & League Cups. With maybe one getting played depending how things go. 

https://www.linlithgowgazette.co.uk/sport/football/history-made-as-boness-athletic-to-join-boness-united-in-senior-football-ranks-3225776

Bo'ness Athletic expecting the new applicants in a league below the current Conferences.

“It’s still to be finalised however indications are that the clubs that comprised the East Region juniors last season – like us, Whitburn, Armadale, Bathgate – we will be going in en bloc as an add on league with the addition of Edinburgh College.

"As far as I’m aware, there will be an opportunity for us to get promoted next season. At this point in time we’ll be going into a set-up two levels below the East of Scotland Premier Division, but they are talking about a restructure thereafter.

"You’ll have the Premier, the two conferences coming in horizontally and then our league under that.”

30 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

https://www.linlithgowgazette.co.uk/sport/football/history-made-as-boness-athletic-to-join-boness-united-in-senior-football-ranks-3225776

Bo'ness Athletic expecting the new applicants in a league below the current Conferences.

That could be fairly accurate apart from the line about further re-structuring after the summer of 2022.   

2 minutes ago, Saints1921 said:

That could be fairly accurate apart from the line about further re-structuring after the summer of 2022.   

Pretty sure that's meant to mean that the Premier-First Division Conferences-Second Division(???) won't be the long term format.

The format after next season is intended to be Premier-First-Second-Third as far as I'm aware. I don't think there's much appetite to regionalise the lower levels.

15 hours ago, Burnieman said:
17 hours ago, Saints1921 said:

The format after next season is intended to be Premier-First-Second-Third as far as I'm aware. I don't think there's much appetite to regionalise the lower levels.

Sorry - that's what I was meaning!  I thought the OP was misleading!  Cheers.