EoS Structure for 2021/22

Just now, Pyramidic said:

What will be the view on Edinburgh City entering a reserve side? The club is already a prestigious long-standing EoSFA member. Assume they will play at the totally revamped Meadowbank. An impressive new venue. Edinburgh City Reserves could be the forerunner of future applications for SPFL reserve sides. I assume that Hibernian have also retained their membership of the EoSFA.

Lots of related issues and will be interesting to see how the Edinburgh City application is handled by the EOSFL.

Selkirk were the last side to try and get a reserve side in the league, and failed. That happened a year after the Lowland League was formed.

I'm not convinced it will be a popular enough applicant considering all the discussion of 'Colts' going around.

3 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Selkirk were the last side to try and get a reserve side in the league, and failed. That happened a year after the Lowland League was formed.

I'm not convinced it will be a popular enough applicant considering all the discussion of 'Colts' going around.

Isn't it something to do with not having a reserve side in a league directly below?  So in EC's case with them being L2, a reserve side couldn't enter the LL, but the EoS is fine particularly as they will be in the bottom tier?

This shambles just gets worse and worse.

Now reserve teams of small lower league sides are being entertained.

Galling thing is they will probably be admitted opening the floodgates to more of this utter nonsense.

Laughing stock of an organisation eosfl.

5 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

At the moment we do not know how the numbers or structure will play out but if a new division can be created of say 13 applicants, the case might be strengthened to accept Edinburgh City Reserves to bring the number up to a nicely rounded 14, particularly as they would tick all the boxes for facilities, floodlights etc.

5 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

Isn't it something to do with not having a reserve side in a league directly below?  So in EC's case with them being L2, a reserve side couldn't enter the LL, but the EoS is fine particularly as they will be in the bottom tier?

I don't believe any such rule exists. Just not allowed more than one team in the league supposedly. Which would see Stirling Uni's EoS side fold if ever the 1st XI were relegated from the LL.

I don't have the newspaper report to hand, but Selkirk's vote was said to have gone 7-7(?) at the time. So it went to vote, it just didn't pass.

1 minute ago, FairWeatherFan said:

I don't believe any such rule exists. Just not allowed more than one team in the league supposedly. Which would see Stirling Uni's EoS side fold if ever the 1st XI were relegated from the LL.

I don't have the newspaper report to hand, but Selkirk's vote was said to have gone 7-7(?) at the time. So it went to vote, it just didn't pass.

Were the first team still in the EoS at that point?

Just now, Pyramidic said:

At the moment we do not know how the numbers or structure will play out but if a new division can be created of say 13 applicants, the case might be strengthened to accept Edinburgh City Reserves to bring the number up to a nicely rounded 14, particularly as they would tick all the boxes for facilities, floodlights etc.

How about, no.

Another ground share that the fixture secretary has to consider and a team out of the league getting primary dates. Not much in the way of fans for any 2nd XI and there's the Development League and SPFL Reserve League set up if they care about developing young players.

4 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

Were the first team still in the EoS at that point?

No, they were in the Lowland League.

EDIT:

https://www.bordertelegraph.com/sport/13543747.east-17-deny-selkirk-a-slot/

It was in 2014 so you still had Spartans reserves, as well as Stirling Uni. As Berwick Rangers and Hibs were pulling their sides out and the poor history of reserves staying in the league, I can see why there wasn't enough support to get them to pass.

Edited by FairWeatherFan

8 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

How about, no.

Another ground share that the fixture secretary has to consider and a team out of the league getting primary dates. Not much in the way of fans for any 2nd XI and there's the Development League and SPFL Reserve League set up if they care about developing young players.

If I was a club official and found that my application was being blocked by semantics I would attempt to tweak my application to run the Reserve set-up as a separate (but intrinsically linked) club. There are few examples of this down South and I think there are a few where the second side even enters the FA Vase.

Have to say, I wouldn't be wild about more reserve sides in the EoS. I know it's happened before and it happens now, but there's a difference between the odd game against Stirling Uni EOS and potentially a division half-full of reserves. The purpose of a reserve team isn't the same as a first team, it's to develop players and give injured players a chance to recover. That means the matches aren't properly competitive - the primary objective of reserve sides isn't to win the game - and I wouldn't want my club to become practice opposition for others.

I'm sure others disagree and I respect that; for me, I wouldn't want to watch my team win a game just because the other side were blooding some youngsters and giving game time to injured guys. I want to see both sides give their best.

If there's demand for it then I'd rather see a reserve league established, or something done with the development league.

9 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Have to say, I wouldn't be wild about more reserve sides in the EoS. I know it's happened before and it happens now, but there's a difference between the odd game against Stirling Uni EOS and potentially a division half-full of reserves. The purpose of a reserve team isn't the same as a first team, it's to develop players and give injured players a chance to recover. That means the matches aren't properly competitive - the primary objective of reserve sides isn't to win the game - and I wouldn't want my club to become practice opposition for others.

I'm sure others disagree and I respect that; for me, I wouldn't want to watch my team win a game just because the other side were blooding some youngsters and giving game time to injured guys. I want to see both sides give their best.

If there's demand for it then I'd rather see a reserve league established, or something done with the development league.

Can't disagree.  The U20 league does allow for 6 appearances a season from over an age player, maybe some scope to extend it a little to 8-10 matches, and a maximum of 2 players in each squad, again maybe look to extend that to 3 or 4 players.   Make it a little  easier for fringe first team players get a game whilst helping along the younger players.

Reserve sides in first team leagues, for anyone who has experienced playing Stirling Uni Reserves, isn't great.

Edited by Burnieman

If it's true. I can only guess Edinburgh City are thrilled at the prospect of pocketing the OF's pennies.
Also heard that Leith Athletic have been dumped on as far as a return to Meadowbank is concerned. The 3G isn't compliant for EoS.

1 hour ago, Burnieman said:

The monthly board meeting is tonight, and the SGM to vote on new applicants is the end of this month. Details of the applications will be circulated before that.

Heard that Edinburgh City had applied, if true then I'm assuming their reserve side? Their U20's already play in the Development League.

A Colts team in the East,  we have had enough of that argument. 😀😀

44 minutes ago, Burnieman said:
53 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:
If it's true. I can only guess Edinburgh City are thrilled at the prospect of pocketing the OF's pennies.

Also heard that Leith Athletic have been dumped on as far as a return to Meadowbank is concerned. The 3G isn't compliant for EoS.

...are they not able to use the main 3G pitch, shared with Edinburgh City...?

1 minute ago, Che Dail said:

...are they not able to use the main 3G pitch, shared with Edinburgh City...?

I believe they were working with the Council towards using Meadowbank Stadium itself as City were staying at Ainslie Park, that all changed for whatever reason and now they have been left high and dry.  LTHV may fill the gap at Ainslie.

1 hour ago, Burnieman said:
1 hour ago, FairWeatherFan said:

That is so annoying. How could such an oversight arise? The club not watching the ball or a cost cutting exercise by the Council? I assume the Leisure Services or whatever they are called at Edinburgh City Council have overseen the scheme.

An Edinburgh City reserve team could be a way to make sure they have 100% control of the lease over Meadowbank on Saturday afternoon fixtures so there is no second tenant. Spartans had something similar going on at Ainslie Park initially where a reserve team was concerned.

If Edinburgh City's Reserves are rejected by the EoS then does that free-up a ground share at Meadowbank for some lucky club?

That lucky club would, of course, be sharing the stadium with an athletics club too so Edinburgh City wouldn't have exclusive use in any case. Is that now acceptable by the Board of the EoS - thinking of Syngenta playing at Grangemouth Athletics Stadium apparently not being acceptable a year or two back.

Edited by Dev

1 hour ago, Dev said:

If Edinburgh City's Reserves are rejected by the EoS then does that free-up a ground share at Meadowbank for some lucky club?

That lucky club would, of course, be sharing the stadium with an athletics club too so Edinburgh City wouldn't have exclusive use in any case. Is that now acceptable by the Board of the EoS - thinking of Syngenta playing at Grangemouth Athletics Stadium apparently not being acceptable a year or two back.

On what grounds was Syngenta’s application to play out of Grangemouth Stadium rejected? Anyone know? It was deemed fit for senior clubs youth teams to play once upon a time. Just seems bizarre that Syngenta’s application was ever rejected now that Edinburgh City are moving back to Meadowbank.

Personally, if it were me I’d far rather share a ground with an athletics club than some sleekit squatters that also play football.