Kilmarnock v Montrose

Always good to get a home tie against a lower league side. Montrose fans, hows your season been? How are you guys playing?

You seem to be at the right end of the table, so I'm assuming this wont be a walk in the park for Killie. Hoping we can get a good early lead to kill hopes of an upset. 

17 hours ago, Estragon said:

Montrose are a team I've never known Killie to play - Google suggesting it's our first ever ScottishCup tie. 

Montrose is my "wee team", stemming from the days when a couple of their players worked for my old man in the mid 80s.  Always supported them since and pop down there a couple of times a season. 

My first ever visit to Links Park was for a 4-1 win vs Kilmarnock circa 85/86 in the old Division One.  I remember Martin Allan scoring a screamer - him and John Sheran were the two that worked for the old boy as photocopier salesmen at the time.

After that decent spell, they went through years of being perenially down near the bottom and the obvious poor relations of the four Angus clubs. Ever since they ended bottom and won the Brora play-off it has been an upward trajectory to the top end of League One. Petrie is an excellent manager.

A month back this may have been banana skin territory, but Kilmarnock look to be getting their act together under Wright - although Montrose will be used to artifical turf.

Edited by tarapoa

You might as well stick your ball in the hat for the next round. We travel to Partick to take on Thistle in a vital league match on Thursday night, no doubt get home in the early hours of Friday then up for the days grind then travel to Killie for a 11:45 kick off on Saturday morning. 

Feckin joke. Good luck in the next round.

22 minutes ago, PortyMo said:

You might as well stick your ball in the hat for the next round. We travel to Partick to take on Thistle in a vital league match on Thursday night, no doubt get home in the early hours of Friday then up for the days grind then travel to Killie for a 11:45 kick off on Saturday morning. 

From your point of view, thats absolute shite..... It just shows not a f**k is given towards teams outside of the top flight....  i.e. play in Europe on a Thursday your next game gets moved to a Sunday, no reason this couldn't happen in this instance.

46 minutes ago, PortyMo said:

Ah but on the other hand, we can all watch Philip's funeral!

Anyone interested?

Anyone at all?

No?

No one giving a flying f**k?!

On 04/04/2021 at 20:11, deadasdillinger said:

Always good to get a home tie against a lower league side. Montrose fans, hows your season been? How are you guys playing?

You seem to be at the right end of the table, so I'm assuming this wont be a walk in the park for Killie. Hoping we can get a good early lead to kill hopes of an upset. 

In your favour is the fact that Montrose play in Glasgow against a Thistle at 7.00 on Thursday night, and 35 hours after that match finishes they’ll have had to travel down to Ayrshire to kick off against your lot. Be as well just saying to League One clubs to f*ck off, you’re not wanted in this competition.

Its amazing scheduling.  Is this the first ever morning kick-off in Scottish fitba?  I can't recall one before.

I actually played a couple of pre-season friendlies for Montrose in the early eighties when I was at school....I was rubbish and surprisingly didnt get asked to sign.  I recall being shepherded into the team line up for their season photo the first night I was at Links Park....I was unsure how to act but thankfully someone spotted me and sent me back to the dressing room

2 hours ago, C4mmy31 said:

From your point of view, thats absolute shite..... It just shows not a f**k is given towards teams outside of the top flight....  i.e. play in Europe on a Thursday your next game gets moved to a Sunday, no reason this couldn't happen in this instance.

There is a reason - Montrose are also playing on Tuesday.

1 hour ago, kingjoey said:

In your favour is the fact that Montrose play in Glasgow against a Thistle at 7.00 on Thursday night, and 35 hours after that match finishes they’ll have had to travel down to Ayrshire to kick off against your lot. Be as well just saying to League One clubs to f*ck off, you’re not wanted in this competition.

The League 1 clubs, against the advice of the SPFL, voted for a 22 game season despite being well aware that they'd have to play Saturday-Tuesday-Thursday-Saturday at times.

7 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

The League 1 clubs, against the advice of the SPFL, voted for a 22 game season despite being well aware that they'd have to play Saturday-Tuesday-Thursday-Saturday at times.

So that makes it ok to do to them whatever the SFA want to make it even worse. Just give them a 5.30 kick off on the Saturday to help them just a wee bit. 

9 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

So that makes it ok to do to them whatever the SFA want to make it even worse. Just give them a 5.30 kick off on the Saturday to help them just a wee bit. 

I don't think the SFA dictated this kick-off time, given that St Johnstone v Clyde is at 5:30. The clubs most likely agreed to the earlier kick-off rather than an evening game.

Perhaps I’m missing something, but why couldn’t Montrose have played Thursday-Sunday-Wednesday?

Neither they nor Cove have a fixture next Thursday, with the first post-split fixtures not until the Saturday, and Kilmarnock are already playing their midweek game on the Wednesday. 

Edited by The Master

Two main reasons - the Tuesday game is the final pre-split fixture and they'd ideally want them all to kick-off at the same time. Therefore moving the Montrose game would also require them to move the rest. The second reason is that the Thursday of that midweek is being kept back as an emergency date if there are any postponements - it's the last possible date for getting a game played before the split.

11 hours ago, craigkillie said:

And your point is caller?

Is the 11.45 am Saturday kickoff to Montrose's advantage, or Killie's? Whose decision was it? You mentioned Montrose are playing on Tuesday night, so did Montrose opt to play the match earlier on Saturday, rather than later on Saturday or on Sunday because of this? I think the point Montrose fans are making, quite justifiably in my opinion, is that while we opted to play a 22 game season, including midweek matches, the original scheduling of this cup tie was already tough enough without the rescheduling making it an even tighter turnaround. When there was word of the match being moved, myself and doubtless most Montrose supporters were hoping it would be moved back rather than forward. Hence our plainly understandable gripe!

However compared to the gamesmanship of the Hibbies many moons ago, when they actually flooded the pitch beforehand to ensure Montrose players spent most of the cup tie falling on their arses and /or knackering them due to its heaviness underfoot, bringing the cup tie forward a few hours is small beer.

The point is that Montrose are playing us two days after a league game because of a decision they and their league collectively made, rather than some sort of "f**k off you're not wanted in the competition" posturing from the SFA which is what the original poster suggested.

As a result of that decision, Montrose are playing Thursday-weekend-Tuesday. The default date and kick-off time for this game was always 3pm on the Saturday, and the League 1 clubs knew that when they voted for the 22 game structure. The idea that a 3pm kick-off was fine, but suddenly its a disaster when it is a whole three hours earlier is a bit odd to me - I doubt those extra hours make any difference to the players.

Of all the ties to schedule for 11.45, why pick one with such a considerable distance between the teams? We have at least one player based in Aberdeen.

"The clubs most likely agreed to the earlier kick-off rather than an evening game."

I have it on good authority that the rescheduling of the fixture to 11.45 is not down to Montrose FC. 

Only the St. Mirren v Inverness Caley Thistle tie involves teams from further apart.

Screenshot_20210414-002931.png

Edited by Brummo
Info. for sad stattos and wastrels