Clyde v Alloa - last game at Shawfield 1986

Bald Reynard

Can anyone tell me who were the Alloa scorers for the last game at Shawfield in 1986.  I was there, I got the programme, I wrote down the Bully Wee scorers, but never made a note of the Alloa scorers (or team changes).  In my dotage, I'm reminiscing and would love to fill in that blank, as it was such a significent game in my footballing history ! 

4 hours ago, Bald Reynard said:

Can anyone tell me who were the Alloa scorers for the last game at Shawfield in 1986.  I was there, I got the programme, I wrote down the Bully Wee scorers, but never made a note of the Alloa scorers (or team changes).  In my dotage, I'm reminiscing and would love to fill in that blank, as it was such a significent game in my footballing history ! 

We do have some wonderful anoraks on here, but you are asking a lot.

Might I suggest a wee email to The Mitchell Library, requesting a copy of the Sunday Mail's report.  (Once they re-open, of course).

12 hours ago, Ian38018 said:

We do have some wonderful anoraks on here, but you are asking a lot.

Might I suggest a wee email to The Mitchell Library, requesting a copy of the Sunday Mail's report.  (Once they re-open, of course).

Thanks Ian, I thought it might be a challenge !  The Mitchell is an option.  Another is to see if I can get the Wasps programme for the home match the following week (Forfar), in the hope that the Club published a match report for the preceeding game (assuming they did that season - the oldest Alloa progarmme I've got, is from 1990 - and they did then).  And of course there might (still) be a Wasps fan who remembers - or who has a programme !? 

I have the programme for the next match against forfar that you speak of  but the scorers are not listed in that one  and unfortunately i did not buy any more that season

i will list our main scorers  But i can only guess   the typical team 

lowrie  kelly   haggart  thomson dall donaldson barr   sullivan murray   jamieson   cole   

Murray had scored in the 3 previous games so he is a good bet for one 

sorry i cant be of more help but will let you know if  i find out 

top scorers seem to be Sorbie  jamieson and  Murray .

4 hours ago, whereismillar said:

I have the programme for the next match against forfar that you speak of  but the scorers are not listed in that one  and unfortunately i did not buy any more that season

i will list our main scorers  But i can only guess   the typical team 

lowrie  kelly   haggart  thomson dall donaldson barr   sullivan murray   jamieson   cole   

Murray had scored in the 3 previous games so he is a good bet for one 

sorry i cant be of more help but will let you know if  i find out 

top scorers seem to be Sorbie  jamieson and  Murray .

Thanks for checking it out anyway WIM !

4 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

4-2 to Clyde?

Alloa scorers listed as G. Murray and A. Smith. I think it is Gary and Angus, respectively.

Brilliant !  Thanks very much Ranoldo.  You can always rely on P&B posters !

I'll make a note in the programme - so that it's kept for posterity - and for me to reminisce in my (even) old(er) age !

4 hours ago, whereismillar said:

Gus smith as we new him  And Gary  Murray ... well done  .

Cheers WIM - for the full names and guessing the Alloa team - you were only a couple out.  From the programme, I've got:-

Lowrie, Haggart, Thomson, Dall, Sullivan, Barr, Sorbie, Jamieson, Murray, Smith and Cole.  Murray was originally listed as 12, but I've got a pencilled note that he started, coming in for Doyle (?) - who was in the 11 originally listed.  Lynch was the other Sub.  I've no idea if my pencilled note was totally right though, hence me asking if anyone definitely knew of team changes.

Edited by Bald Reynard

@Bald Reynard

Clyde

Tracey, McFarlane, Dickson, Ahern, Flexney, Evans, Ferguson, McVeigh, Gillespie (1), Willock (1), Lloyd (2). No subs used apparently.

Alloa

Lowrie, Kelly, Martin, Thomson, Dall, Donaldson, Smith (1), Flaherty, Murray (1), Irvine, Cole. Subs used Jameson and Mackie.

Attendance was 2,276 according to Rothman's yearbook and took place on a Monday (28th April 1986).  Evening Times the next day doesn't seem to have a match report but has a piece on the game.  The Herald did have a report.

gherald 290486.PNG

etimes 290486.PNG

18 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

@Bald Reynard

Clyde

Tracey, McFarlane, Dickson, Ahern, Flexney, Evans, Ferguson, McVeigh, Gillespie (1), Willock (1), Lloyd (2). No subs used apparently.

Alloa

Lowrie, Kelly, Martin, Thomson, Dall, Donaldson, Smith (1), Flaherty, Murray (1), Irvine, Cole. Subs used Jameson and Mackie.

Thanks for the complete teams Ranaldo. Great information - and the Wasps had a very different team from that originally set out in the programme ! 

I don't know your source (an Alloa one I guess ?), but there was just one thing wrong.  Ferguson got one Clyde goal, not Gillespie.  I made a note at the time that it was Ferguson and that is given on the Clyde website.  It also was confirmed in the post Magyar1 just made (above ?).  He copied a couple of reports on the game - notably the short report in the Herald, which sets out the scoring sequence.  It's interesting - check it out.

Thanks again anyway - and I hope your Bairns carry on with the good work and a return to the Championship.  I've a soft spot for Falkirk, since Uncle Billy took me in 1981 (a 0-0 against the Jambo's !) - for only my second game !  Billy lived in Falkirk (Camelon Road), but he was a real Wasps fan - and had to keep quiet in the Shawfield Stand, as Clyde fans celebrated the goals, the win and the final minutes there ! 

7 minutes ago, Bald Reynard said:

Thanks for the complete teams Ranaldo. Great information - and the Wasps had a very different team from that originally set out in the programme ! 

I don't know your source (an Alloa one I guess ?), but there was just one thing wrong.  Ferguson got one Clyde goal, not Gillespie.  I made a note at the time that it was Ferguson and that is given on the Clyde website.  It also was confirmed in the post Magyar1 just made (above ?).  He copied a couple of reports on the game - notably the short report in the Herald, which sets out the scoring sequence.  It's interesting - check it out.

Thanks again anyway - and I hope your Bairns carry on with the good work and a return to the Championship.  I've a soft spot for Falkirk, since Uncle Billy took me in 1981 (a 0-0 against the Jambo's !) - for only my second game !  Billy lived in Falkirk (Camelon Road), but he was a real Wasps fan - and had to keep quiet in the Shawfield Stand, as Clyde fans celebrated the goals, the win and the final minutes there ! 

My source was the SFL Review book, so not very impressive if they've got it wrong!

1 hour ago, MAGYAR1 said:

Attendance was 2,276 according to Rothman's yearbook and took place on a Monday (28th April 1986).  Evening Times the next day doesn't seem to have a match report but has a piece on the game.  The Herald did have a report.

gherald 290486.PNG

etimes 290486.PNG

That is

6 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

My source was the SFL Review book, so not very impressive if they've got it wrong!

If it was a recent book, I think a stiff complaint to the Editor would be in order !  But I guess, we'll just have to let that one lie now !

1 hour ago, MAGYAR1 said:

gherald 290486.PNG

etimes 290486.PNG

That is brilliant Magyar !  Thanks so much.  The Herald report is really valuable and does help 'recreate' that day so well.  I'd completely forgotten the scoring sequence.  The Evening Times article just makes me sad for those lost Shawfield days though ! 

One thing I'd pick up on though, is the attendance given in the Rothmans.  I had it down as 1312 - and that is what the Clyde website also says.  It would be interesting to find out which is the correct one - but we'll probably never know for definite.  When I was there, it felt like a lot more than 1300 - but I was lot younger of course !

Edited by Bald Reynard

2 hours ago, MAGYAR1 said:

gherald 290486.PNG

etimes 290486.PNG

Redwedge77

• Third Division Apprentice
  •  
  • Redwedge77
  • Gold Members
  • 581 posts
  • My Team : Alloa Athletic
  On 05/04/2021 at 10:27, Bald Reynard said:
Can anyone tell me who were the Alloa scorers for the Clyde game (last match at Shawfield) in April 1986.  I was there, I got the programme, but never made a note of the Alloa scorers (or whether there any team changes).  In my dotage, I'm reminiscing about the first League match I ever went to and would love to fill in the blanks ! 

Garry Murray scored last in a 4-2 defeat. Murray got the last ever goal there . Can’t remember who got the first for us. Murray emigrated to Australia afterwards and later came back to play with the shire.

Redwedge has a different take on the last goalscorer than the Herald - Murray rather than Smith.  As he is a Wasps fan, I think I'd go with him, rather than some Herald reporter !