St. Mirren v ICT Friday 16/04/2021 18:00

FT 2-1
Ooft, wasn’t pretty as predicted, but job done in 90 mins and into the quarters. Take that all day long.
Felt we were certainly the better side second half and probably deserved to go through on balance. Started the half terribly with a corner that was given away and then tapped in at the back post. Some good ‘screening’ by ICT in the box just before it right enough. Then another belter from Dennis, what a player he is. Just smashes it in from 18 yards tremendous finish.
Durmus then hit the bar and post in the second half, thought it was going to be one of those nights.
Then some fantastic play by Obika, great footwork, dragged the ball on to his right foot and smashed it off the inside of the post. Ball breaks to Mason who does really well, would have been easy to lash at it. Head up and picks out Fraser for a tap in. Thought Brandon was excellent when he came on, inspired sub and great assist.
ICT were good, much better than I thought they’d be tbh. They didn’t sit in at all and kept coming at us and creating chances throughout the 90 mins. Hope they win the playoffs they’re a good side to watch.

ICT actually a very decent team.

We did deserve that though.

When we hit the woodwork for the 4th time I worried that it might not be our day.

But the two fullbacks combined to put it away. 

Don’t want to be disrespectful to Montrose, but can’t see a part time third tier team go away to a first tier team 35h after playing a league game getting through.

Ach, it’s a bit of a pisser to lose with a last minute goal but I’d take that over playing extra time and pens and still ending up out of the cup. The league has to be the focus.

Sounds like we played well and created lots of decent chances so we can take plent of positives going into Tuesday and the rest of the season.

Congrats to St Mirren, they’ve got a great chance of getting a decent run to the final.

4 minutes ago, PB1994 said:

Ach, it’s a bit of a pisser to lose with a last minute goal but I’d take that over playing extra time and pens and still ending up out of the cup. The league has to be the focus.

Sounds like we played well and created lots of decent chances so we can take plent of positives going into Tuesday and the rest of the season.

Congrats to St Mirren, they’ve got a great chance of getting a decent run to the final.

I think you'll be fine. We are an OK team, on a bit of a downer recently to be fair, but still better than whoever you will play in the playoffs. That game could have gone either way. Would certainly be tough to call it over two legs.

ETA, to be brutally honest, the game was probably a lot more important for us.

Edited by GAD

I enjoyed that and but for the error of an angle, Sutherland could have made it different.

Here we are though and who would have thought that a player that the combined intelligentsia of ross-shire had written off two years ago would have made the difference.

Good luck to St Mirren and perhaps just like 1987, it might be argued that if wasn't for them the Caley would have gone on and won the cup instead.

I thought we played fairly well against a top flight side. They’re clearly a level above us, maybe not in midfield but certainly in attack. You can’t really   grudge St Mirren the win as they hit the bar about 83 times. 

They’re far better in attack than anything we’ll face for the rest of the season so I’m not too downbeat.

Entertaining game. Just happy to get through to face the challenge of Montrose. 

Obika didn't have one of his best games,  but his skill in the lead up to the winner just goes to show how valuable he is to the team.

Caley were decent. 

1 minute ago, sophia said:

Good luck to St Mirren and perhaps just like 1987, it might be argued that if wasn't for them the Caley would have gone on and won the cup instead.

In that 87 game Caley could have been 3 up before we scored, they created all the best chances, fortunately for us they fell to Billy Urquhart who was even worse than when he was with the currants.. Our 1st goal knocked the stuffing out of you and the 2nd and 3rd came in a 5 minute spell.

5 minutes ago, GAD said:

I think you'll be fine. We are an OK team, on a bit of a downer recently to be fair, but still better than whoever you will play in the playoffs. That game could have gone either way. Would certainly be tough to call it over two legs.

ETA, to be brutally honest, the game was probably a lot more important for us.

I think it was @TheScarf who mentioned it earlier but you will easily be the best team we play this season and a clear step up in quality from the Ross County team we played so even though we lost at least we competed well and created plenty of chances. It will give us plenty of confidence for hopefully a good run in the playoffs.

Absolutely it was more important to you. Am I right in saying you have nothing to play for in the league? So it’s a great opportunity to go far in the cup when you see the draw is at home to a championship side and then a favourable draw in the quarter finals. The only bonus for us would have been the prize money, it would have been extra games we could really do without.