St. Mirren v ICT Friday 16/04/2021 18:00

5 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

The third time we've drawn ICT at home in the Scottish Cup, previous ties  were one defeat and one draw followed by a scudding in the replay.

Where's Captain Sensible and his General Wade patter? 

I don't think we've ever beaten them in a Cup game.

Have a running bet with a Caley fan @ work - £5per win/loss settled at the end of the season. Never won for a decade until 17/18 in the Championship.

Just now, Arch Stanton said:

Correct. Even in the Tom Hendrie league winning season we lost to them in successive midweeks in the Challenge Cup and the League Cup.

Not to forget the 5-0 drubbing in the last game of the season after we'd won the division - did we care?

5 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

The third time we've drawn ICT at home in the Scottish Cup, previous ties  were one defeat and one draw followed by a scudding in the replay.

Where's Captain Sensible and his General Wade patter? 

Yep. In 2004 you absolutely bodied us at Love Street and we stole it with basically the last kick of the game. 

In 2015 it was a 1-1 draw then we won 4-0 in the replay and went on to win it.

Said bodying - 

Was 10 mins before the end we scored. After we got a throw in wrongly awarded to us.

Edited by TheScarf

2 hours ago, btb said:

I don't think we've ever beaten them in a Cup game.

Have a running bet with a Caley fan @ work - £5per win/loss settled at the end of the season. Never won for a decade until 17/18 in the Championship.

We did beat the Caledonian part of them in 1987 but I can’t remember how that cup run ended 🤔

That 2004 cup game was a brilliant game, we had a pretty big support down, I think we sold out our allocation actually.  We were in what I think was the North Bank at Love Street and it made for a much better atmosphere.

The game itself was a 100% utter domination by Saints.  We apparently had a flu bug going through the squad and were floundering but managed to keep them out until Darran Thomson scored a breakaway goal that, IIRC, was a bit soft from their keeper.  A total robbery.  It was a bit of a turnaround having a game like that as we were on a run of beating St Mirren by three or four seemingly every time we played them.  We beat them 4-0 at Love Street earlier that season and it was one of the poorest performances I've ever seen from a team - John Coughlin was sacked after that.  It was obvious in that cup game what a difference Gus McPherson had made, pretty much the same players performed far better and really should've won.

ETA.  I just looked it up and in 2002 and 2003 we won eight games in a row against St Mirren scoring 28 goals in the process.  

Edited by ICTChris

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

That 2004 cup game was a brilliant game, we had a pretty big support down, I think we sold out our allocation actually.  We were in what I think was the North Bank at Love Street and it made for a much better atmosphere.

The game itself was a 100% utter domination by Saints.  We apparently had a flu bug going through the squad and were floundering but managed to keep them out until Darran Thomson scored a breakaway goal that, IIRC, was a bit soft from their keeper.  A total robbery.  It was a bit of a turnaround having a game like that as we were on a run of beating St Mirren by three or four seemingly every time we played them.  We beat them 4-0 at Love Street earlier that season and it was one of the poorest performances I've ever seen from a team - John Coughlin was sacked after that.  It was obvious in that cup game what a difference Gus McPherson had made, pretty much the same players performed far better and really should've won.

ETA.  I just looked it up and in 2002 and 2003 we won eight games in a row against St Mirren scoring 28 goals in the process.  

Paul "not the sort of striker we are looking for" Ritchie probably scored all 28 of them.

I've a suspicion this could be a brilliant cup tie.  At first I was delighted that Killie/Montrose were paired with the winners of this one...on reflection, I reckon the winner of ours are decidedly second favourites.

On 06/04/2021 at 19:56, Stu said:

Paul "not the sort of striker we are looking for" Ritchie probably scored all 28 of them.

Did you not pass on Liam Keogh around that time too?

7 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Did you not pass on Liam Keogh around that time too?

From memory we had Keogh on loan from Celtic at the end of one season (possibly the last before the transfer window came in). He barely played and came back on trial but we didn't sign him. I think he might have scored in Coughlin's last game.

I wasn't as fussed about him as with Ritchie. It wasn't even the odd goal Ritchie got against us, it seemed to be hat-tricks every sodding time. I think he might even have scored against us when he ended up at Brechin a few years later.

That footage brings back memories of a fine day out.

We met some old timer St Mirren players who were for a half time introduction. I'm so sorry, I can't recall names but they were thoroughly good company.

Was that Ross Tokely at the start of the footage with an outrageous bit of skill?

I must say, it was bettered only by Bingham's touches leading up to the goal.