Scottish Cup Round Four: St Johnstone vs Clyde, Saturday 17 April, 2021

Radford

27 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

What can we take from that game?

Not a lot, really.

Don't think any of the fringe players who came into the side made any sort of claim for a starting spot.

1 hour ago, PauloPerth said:

If the Clyde team just stood still and watched us play up until full time, I'm still not convinced we'd manage to score a third.

I reckon even if you stuck Stuart Cosgrove on Jamie Bain you’d have scored a few more. 

Lennon giving the footballing authorities both barrels in his post match interview. We certainly might've made some better choices this past week in team selection and tactical terms but he's not wrong that the deck has seemed stacked against the part-time teams this season. Particularly insofar as we've had to make exceptionally difficult trade-offs between league and cup success. The full-time teams and part-time championship teams haven't had to do the same of course.

Good on Saints for giving up the early kick-off by the way. It'd surely have been an added advantage for them. And one which the SFA would've insisted on without their agreement, if I understand rightly.

The teams should have had a contingency plan in place before the season started. The SPFL board tried to lead on that and were told to shove it.

The teams should not have agreed on a 22 game schedule. I think it's a disgrace that we (Clyde) voted for it. The SPFL board wanted an 18 game season and were told to shove it.

He is right to question why the SFA were arranging games for 1145 on a Saturday morning. That's a fair gripe. He has to look closer to home for his other complaints though.

That was a pretty horrific watch. Glad we managed to get ahead because we certainly didn’t look like doing much after the 21st minute. 

May giving the manager a dilemma now. He’s not scored since October and his form is collapsing off a cliff as well. He definitely doesn’t justify the big wage he’s getting any more and the club shouldn’t pay it based on sentiment alone. It’ll be sad if he’s let go but we can surely do better for the money he’s paid. 

Agree with the Clyde fans that this season’s Scottish Cup has been massively stacked against them. I guess it’s the only way to fit all the matches in, despite it being really harsh on the lower league teams.

But let’s be honest, unless it’s your own team that win it, it’s going to be a completely forgettable tournament for every other side anyway with no away trips etc. 

Whilst I agree that in general terms Scottish football is all geared upto serve the premiership clubs, and the big two in particular, I think lower league clubs are lucky they’ve had any football at all this season.

In the midst of a global pandemic, lockdowns and regional travel restrictions, the fact that part time football was allowed to continue was pretty generous. Just about every other sport and activity and most businesses were stopped from operating,  yet part time football ran for a good part of the season outwith the couple of months in the new year.

You could make a case why should any football at all carry on which would be justified, though I think that was in part to give the masses some form of entertainment and keep them quiet.

Feared a right doing after 2 in the first 20 mins but credit to the guys for sticking in there and that coupled with some poor St Johnstone finishing kept the score line respectable. Could've even had an interesting finish had Jamiesons goal stood.

2 hours ago, Kyle said:

May giving the manager a dilemma now. He’s not scored since October and his form is collapsing off a cliff as well. He definitely doesn’t justify the big wage he’s getting any more and the club shouldn’t pay it based on sentiment alone. It’ll be sad if he’s let go but we can surely do better for the money he’s paid. 

I'm obviously a fan, but our "attack" needs gutted.

Yet another home game we've failed to score as many as we should. I'm not even sure May had a shot.

5 hours ago, Kyle said:

Following in the footsteps of Hendry it looks like.  Can't adapt to the manager's system.

What can we take from that game?
Stevie May is finished, MOH can run but can't play football and Parish would somehow be a worse option than clownshoes.
If Guy goes, and that looks a certainty now, we must find at least one very good striker. Probably two.

May was as poor as I have seen him this season. If he can’t get goals against lower league opposition then no wonder he hasn’t scored since October. Thought Clyde improved second half and they to me looked very fit and if they tired it didn’t show.
The only thing Parish had to do he made a pigs ear out off and that should have cost us a goal.