Scottish Cup Round Four: St Johnstone vs Clyde, Saturday 17 April, 2021

Radford

3 minutes ago, bullyweehutch said:

Dont worry all you have to do is cross. It doesnt even have to beat the first man.(that usually helps for some reason) and we will either give you a free header or scramble about till you score

This time tomorrow you'll understand that handing us chances doesn't equal goals.

23 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Tbf Clyde are closer to Brechin than the Premiership...

FWIW Clyde are winning this 1-0. Clark to spill a simple corner after 3 minutes, some CB taps in from 3 yards. 

We spend 85 minutes spurning chances, before Kane gets puts through on goal, only to shite it and hit it straight at the keeper.

That's broadly similar to how our win over Ayr went in the previous round.

In fairness, in the last two seasons we've knocked QotS, Arbroath and Ayr out of cups, drawn with ICT and were leading Dunfermline with 4 minutes to go, so I'd fancy us in normal circumstances against a Championship team. St Johnstone are obviously up a further level and I'd be amazed given our position if we didn't have as weak a team as possible out tomorrow, which is a real shame. We simply can't jeopardise our game at Forfar on Tuesday. We might actually compete better with fresher legs in the team anyway.

Guest andyp1301

Going to be a tough watch today. St J will be fresh having not played for a full week....and our squad is on its knees...this being our 12th match in 29 days.  Strains, injuries, tired muscles, players cup tied.

It just depends how hard St J go at this really.

2 hours ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

Parish

Kerr Gordon McCart

Rooney Bryson Craig Tanser

Melamed May Middleton

Slight freshen up and a rest for McCann. 

Clark

Kerr Gordon McCart

MOH Bryson Gilmour Tanser

Conway

Melamed     May

What I'd like but not what I think will start. Nervous about injuries if we play 4 of the starting back 5, and O'Halloran has done quite well as WB when he's played there. Give him the chance to claim a contract offer as a utility player. Ideally I'd want Liam Craig available for the next 2 games so would rest him.

If Zander's going to improve I don't think dropping him for this game will help as it won't put pressure on, would rather he played as it might get the confidence up and would keep consistency. Would not complain if Parish started though. 

IMO only absolute stick-on starters today are the back 3 and Bryson. Don't imagine CD is the sentimental type but surely Bryson has to start. He hinted in the press that McCann will be rested so chance for Gilmour to step up. 

Saints 7 (Melamed, Melamed, Melamed, Melamed, Melamed, Melamed, Melamed (pen)) 

Clyde 1 (Bryson)

Edited by Valentino Bolognese

2 hours ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

Parish

Kerr Gordon McCart

Rooney Bryson Craig Tanser

Melamed May Middleton

18 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Clark

Kerr Gordon McCart

MOH Bryson Gilmour Tanser

Conway

Melamed     May

IMO Neither Middleton/Conway could play Wotherspoons role at all. If he's fit he starts.

Presumably Craig was also rested v Aberdeen with an eye on this game.

Normal back 5, maybe swap Tanser and Booth. Normal CM, maybe take out McCann for Gilmour or Bryson, since he's talked about resting McCann, then Melamed plus one up front.

Let's not overcomplicate this.

Edited by RandomGuy.

Absolutely hate that line up.

One CM. 

One of our strikers pushed wide to, yet again, play 5-2-3.

Shite keeper selected.

Absolutely mad.

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Absolutely hate that line up.

One CM. 

One of our strikers pushed wide to, yet again, play 5-2-3.

Shite keeper selected.

Absolutely mad.

Dunno, he’s played O’Halloran in behind the strikers before so it’s not unreasonable to think he might be doing that again. 

Playing Spoony centrally is unforgivable though. He’s got enough midfielders to chose from that he doesn’t need Spoony deep. 

Just now, perthsaint1977 said:

Spoony playing CM

Yeah I know, but I'm not entirely sure he's all that great as part of a 2.

Part of me knows it shouldn't matter hugely, as Clyde aren't too likely to pin us back, but IMO he's changed too much and we'll probably spend the first half with players all learning how to play with each other.

I don't think Craig/Wotherspoon have played as a 2 together all season, same with the front 3.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Part of me knows it shouldn't matter hugely, as Clyde aren't too likely to pin us back, but IMO he's changed too much and we'll probably spend the first half with players all learning how to play with each other.

I don't think Craig/Wotherspoon have played as a 2 together all season, same with the front 3.

Same front 3 who played at Easter Road in the 2-2 draw. 

10 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Goodwillie is on the bench. Our next two alternative attackers/strikers (Love & Jamieson) are on the bench. Our best centreback isn't in the squad and our third choice keeper is in goal.

Slight questions in your lineup won't make any difference.

ETA: You could even add to that our only reasonable centremid (Cuddihy) isn't in the squad. We're also likely to play our next best centreback (Howie) in midfield or worse, McNiff at leftback. In fact, I can barely work out how we're going to shape up here.

Edited by Jaggy Snake

1 minute ago, Jaggy Snake said:

Slight questions in your lineup won't make any difference.

You see, statements like that just give me the complete fear.

Remember Wright was a fan of playing Wotherspoon at CM when playing lower league opposition when he's unlikely to pressured as high up the pitch. He'll be the one getting forward too. Assume he'll wont play the full 90 if things are comfortable. Interesting to see if it will be MoH behind two or a front three.