Scottish Cup Round Four: St Johnstone vs Clyde, Saturday 17 April, 2021

Radford

Remember Ian Harty giving it a "You're going down" gesture to the saints fans at McDiarmid during *that* season. Think saints had tried to sign him that summer too. Glory days.

Only time (probably even including penalties) I've ever been convinced Saints are going to lose a goal was when Jorg Albertz had a FK on the edge of the box in a midweek game at home to Clyde. 

I actually looked away and knew it was in by noise from away end.

First meeting since spring of 2009. Liam Craig still plays for us. 

If there's a cup shock today & Cove go out, this becomes a huge game for both sides, the winner earning effectively a bye into the semis given the shower o shite that would be waiting for them next

Can see us cruising this, a couple of Rab Reilly free kicks curling high past 3 foot George Tulloch.  😏

Reckon we'll go full strength for this then? Definitely seemed to rest players against Aberdeen.

Clark, Rooney, Kerr, Gordon, McCart, Booth stick ons as the GK/Back 5.

McCann and Wotherpoon also guarantees. Up to the manager if he goes with Craig, Bryson, or a wild outside shout of Gilmour after his latest interview. Craig the likeliest.

You're then left picking two from May, Melamed, Kane, and Middleton. I'd pick the first two, but think we'd be better starting Kane and Melamed tbh.

Manager says he could make "2 or 3 changes" again and that he's happy he can trust any of the "17 or 18 players" he could pick but that the usual core will be there. 

Priority over the next two games should be ensuring we have freshest legs available for the quarter-final.

Does Danny Lennon have ability to freshen things up with the size of Clyde's squad?

Not sure anyone would have reckoned it would take so long for the clubs to meet again when we parted company in 2009 but talk about contrasting fortunes...

There had been 30 meetings in the previous 8 years, so for that generation of fan coming into football, they were two evenly matched teams. Pretty much whenever Saints have been in the second tier, Clyde have been there, they are a club who should really be at that level in my eyes. 

Remember being in Inverness on the final day in 2004 when they beat us and you think that if we'd managed to draw, then Clyde would have been promoted. Then that Roberts team was miraculously put together to compete in the First Division. Seems unthinkable now that a club at that level would be able to build a team from scratch over the summer and compete.

Suspect the schedule will take its toll on Clyde tomorrow but hopefully you can battle to safety in League One. 

5 minutes ago, Radford said:

Manager says he could make "2 or 3 changes" again and that he's happy he can trust any of the "17 or 18 players" he could pick but that the usual core will be there. 

Priority over the next two games should be ensuring we have freshest legs available for the quarter-final.

Does Danny Lennon have ability to freshen things up with the size of Clyde's squad?

Not sure anyone would have reckoned it would take so long for the clubs to meet again when we parted company in 2009 but talk about contrasting fortunes...

There had been 30 meetings in the previous 8 years, so for that generation of fan coming into football, they were two evenly matched teams. Pretty much whenever Saints have been in the second tier, Clyde have been there, they are a club who should really be at that level in my eyes. 

Remember being in Inverness on the final day in 2004 when they beat us and you tt if we'd managed to draw, then Clyde would have been promoted. Then that Roberts team was miraculously put together to compete in the First Dhink thaivision. Seems unthinkable now that a club at that level would be able to build a team from scratch over the summer and compete.

Suspect the schedule will take its toll on Clyde tomorrow but hopefully you can battle to safety in League One. 

I was surprised we played as strong a side as we did at Ayr in the last round but really hope we don't/can't see it here after last nights poor result in the league. 

I am in that age bracket, where we were regularly competing with the likes of yourselves, St Mirren, County, Accies, Livi in the 2nd tier as I was growing up. Would've been at the majority of our meetings in the 8 years you speak about, certainly at Broadwood. Slightly disheartening seeing you lot win both national cups and County and St Mirren league cups while we're at the opposite end of the pyramid :lol: But it is what it is. 

If we huff and puff our way through the first part of the game without conceding then we might keep it respectable but can really see the floodgates opening if St Johnstone get an early goal. I said I hope we don't play a strong team but Rooney on the right hand side up against probably McNiff or Bain at LB is giving me the fear. Middleton also tore us apart in a Glasgow Cup game a few months ago. We defend set playsso badly too that I'm already considering bets on your defenders to get on the scoresheet. 

1 hour ago, Bobby_F said:

Is this on the telly?

Club TV I take it?

You'd be far quicker asking Google these questions m8, it's very simple.

46 minutes ago, bullyweehutch said:

St johnstone 10-0 Clyde
Dont think i can bring myself to watch this after Thursday night. Completely scunnered with these jobbers we call clyde players

We haven't scored 10 home goals all season if you discount Brechin, I think you'll be fine!

2 minutes ago, Widge said:

We haven't scored 10 home goals all season if you discount Brechin, I think you'll be fine!

Tbf Clyde are closer to Brechin than the Premiership...

FWIW Clyde are winning this 1-0. Clark to spill a simple corner after 3 minutes, some CB taps in from 3 yards. 

We spend 85 minutes spurning chances, before Kane gets puts through on goal, only to shite it and hit it straight at the keeper.