Raith Rovers v Arbroath

Just now, Hank Scorpio said:

That’s incredibly frustrating to throw that away. Defensive subs really cost us. No harm done with any other results but a massive chance missed.

Agreed, cruising but felt like the first Arbroath goal really shifted the balance of the game. Annoying to lose two cheap as shit goals.

Dunno whether to be delighted or devastated. So poor for most of that yet MacDonald making fingertip saves to stop it being 3-2 us. We persisted with Doolan behind Hamilton for way too long there for my liking. 

As you were and thank f**k for Dundee.

Just now, Michael W said:

McGlynn got the plaudits for the Pars but he has to carry the can for this one. Left it late to make changes and when he did make them, the wrong ones. 

We've struggled up front all game and the ball wouldn't stick. So let's ignore that and just let the ball keep coming back at us. Bring on a defender and then an unmarked player is there to equalise. Awful. 

Kennedy and Vaughan were both crying out to be subbed around the 60 mark - neither or them at the races today and a key factor in the ball being lost and being returned up field. 

That is a massive, massive waste of an opportunity today, in a game totally thrown away by terrible management decisions. 

I'm not having that, at least not in terms of forward players. Pretty sure had we subbed on any of Duku, Abraham or Ugwu it wouldn't have ended any better.

For what it’s worth Raith were best team I’ve seen us play for a big part of that game. Just kept the ball and bored the tits off us and moved us about and took their chance after our mistake. Very good at passing the ball about and controlling the game. 

We must've been in almost complete control for 65 or more minutes there, but came incredibly close to losing it.

Big echoes of our recent struggles to create chances with that level of domination. Gaston had to be clever at a couple of crosses but other than the goals I don't think he had many saves to make. 

Campbell's substitutions changed the game, although it feels like one of those where you're left asking why he didn't start that way or make the changes earlier. Doolan didn't touch the ball. 

McGlynn's changes had the opposite effect. I can see what he's thinking with the switch to the back three as the tide starts to turn, but it's such an awkward change for the defence to adjust to, particularly with it being Cooney's debut. For me, the better change would've been to take Tait off and replace him with one of the strikers to do some running and stretch Arbroath a little more. 

All in all though, despite the feeling of a huge opportunity missed, it's not a bad day. One game closer to the end of the season and we've maintained our advantage. I'd have taken draws across the board before kick off today. 

2 minutes ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

We must've been in almost complete control for 65 or more minutes there, but came incredibly close to losing it.

Big echoes of our recent struggles to create chances with that level of domination. Gaston had to be clever at a couple of crosses but other than the goals I don't think he had many saves to make. 

Campbell's substitutions changed the game, although it feels like one of those where you're left asking why he didn't start that way or make the changes earlier. Doolan didn't touch the ball. 

McGlynn's changes had the opposite effect. I can see what he's thinking with the switch to the back three as the tide starts to turn, but it's such an awkward change for the defence to adjust to, particularly with it being Cooney's debut. For me, the better change would've been to take Tait off and replace him with one of the strikers to do some running and stretch Arbroath a little more. 

All in all though, despite the feeling of a huge opportunity missed, it's not a bad day. One game closer to the end of the season and we've maintained our advantage. I'd have taken draws across the board before kick off today. 

Missing Gullan to a large extent and it says a lot that for all a change up front for us might have changed the game, McGlynn didn't trust any of Duku, Ugwu or Abraham to make a positive difference.

To give credit to Dick Campbell. Faced a Rovers team that was comfortable in possession and dominated, but knew our weaknesses and how to unlock them. He’s often portrayed as a figure of fun but what he has done with Arbroath is phenomenal. Hope you stay up 

1 minute ago, renton said:

I'm not having that, at least not in terms of forward players. Pretty sure had we subbed on any of Duku, Abraham or Ugwu it wouldn't have ended any better.

I'd have put Ugwu on. He isn't great but might have managed to hold the ball up a bit rather than repeatedly lose it. 

Not saying we wouldn't have still drawn in the end, but if you make defensive changes and go on to drop the points, they haven't worked. 

2 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

For what it’s worth Raith were best team I’ve seen us play for a big part of that game. Just kept the ball and bored the tits off us and moved us about and took their chance after our mistake. Very good at passing the ball about and controlling the game. 

Thats the real frustration.  We can play like that, but the dynamic of the game shifted after Arbroath got the goal back and thats where we tend to struggle.  

There is a very, very good side there, somewhere.  Just lacking in certain areas.

I would have settled for the league table looking like that at full time, easily, but that feels like a really big result - not in a good way.

Embarrassing collapse from us. Should have been game over at 2-0. Gift of a goal from awful defending to make it 2-1. Credit to Arbroath for not giving up and fighting back would have been so easy for their heads to go down at 2-0. One of the benefits of having a very experienced side I think. They are better than Ayr and Morton from what I’ve seen and I think they’ll stay up.

Got away with it slightly with scores elsewhere but a win would have seen us in a very strong position and if you want to finish 2nd you have to be winning at home to a side battling to avoid relegation, particularly when you are 2-0 up with less than 20 minutes left. 

If we can win on Tuesday night this will be quickly forgotten but hugely frustrating day just now. On a positive note it sounds like Gullan and Matthews aren’t too far away which can only help us.

Just now, roverthemoon said:

To give credit to Dick Campbell. Faced a Rovers team that was comfortable in possession and dominated, but knew our weaknesses and how to unlock them. He’s often portrayed as a figure of fun but what he has done with Arbroath is phenomenal. Hope you stay up 

Yeah, night and day from Crawford and his shambolic efforts the other week. 

I'm sure Arbroath will start up. You'd always fancy them if it comes to the crunch under Campbell. 

Huge chance missed for us though and agree that McGlynn got the subs badly wrong. Holding onto a one goal lead in a crunch game is a bizarre time to blood young Cooney. 

On the positive side, every other team in the top 6 will look at the results today and think they have also missed a big chance. Also we could've easily have lost that but for MacDonald at the end. 

So disappointing. To be 2-0 up and to throw away 2 points is a huge frustration. Typical Rovers. We can’t defend. Got a feeling this might be the result that screws us, either out of a play off place or puts in 3rd or 4th.  

Definitely has that feeling. I didn’t expect to take any ground from Dundee today, I thought we’d both win, but I did expect something to happen with ICT/QoS - either knock QoS out the play-off race, all but guarantee finishing ahead of Caley, or as happened they draw and slit each other’s throats.

As you were isn’t the worst outcome, another game down, but we should be looking at the play-offs as a done deal and a shootout with Dundee for 2nd. As it is, we’re looking at three away games to an in-form QoS, Alloa who need to win to stay up, Dundee and then Hearts at home. Can’t really afford to lose on Tuesday.

Just now, renton said:

Missing Gullan to a large extent and it says a lot that for all a change up front for us might have changed the game, McGlynn didn't trust any of Duku, Ugwu or Abraham to make a positive difference.

We look far worse without Ross Matthews too. Matthews offers a counterbalance to Spencer/Hendry and Tait. He's exceptional at covering ground and has added to the attacking side of his game. 

Gullan and Vaughan are both excellent players individually but they look far better when partnered together.