Greenockians ~vs~ Invernesians

I said at half-time that we should be taking McGinty off. Lo and behold, we do take a centre back off but leave McGinty on and he once again doesn't bother his arse to mark his man. If we'd taken him off instead of Ledger it'd still be 2-1.

We've conceded five goals against ICT this season. Four of them have been his fault.

First thing to say is that ICT’s squad is way better than ours and they thoroughly deserved that over the piece.

But still... McPherson got that horribly wrong tonight, twice. 

We should always start with three in the middle, Jacobs and McGinn plus one (Colville or Lyon).

And we should stick with a back three in all circumstances, because none of our centre-backs (zero) are good enough to play in a two.

If we need to be more ‘attacking’, fire the wing-backs forward...

He should effectively reduce this squad to 15 players for the run-in (and ideally get Millen to batter the rest of them).

We conceded six goals v ICT this season. There was the shambolic farce of giving away the indirect freekick for the first last night and the absolute peach for the fourth. The other four were all directly Sean McGinty's fault.

While you can recognise that one like the third last night was a great strike from Todorov, if McGinty had bothered his arse to be within 5 yards of his man it couldn't have happened. He left him in similar space for the second, it was him who lost MacKay for the chance at 0-0 where a combination of McAdams and poor finishing bailed us out, it was him who was responsible for both goals we conceded in the 2-2. He's an absolute fraud of a footballer.

In the likely event that we go down, him playing every minute will have a lot to do with it.

MacPherson got his subs horribly wrong last night. We clearly needed an extra body in midfield and in the circumstances taking a centre back off was the right thing to do. Not only does he remove the wrong centre back in Ledger who hadn't put a foot wrong instead of McGinty, but he puts another forward on.

That left us playing a 4-3-3 with a front three of Oliver, Orsi and Sterling, with Nesbitt and Colville with McGinn in the middle three. It had the effect that the front three were crowding each other out and at times it was more like a 4-1-5, so even if McGinn hadn't been having a shocker himself we'd have been overrun anyway. Caley Thistle were levels above us regardless, but we had a wee bit of momentum and had just got it back to 2-1 - it ended with the subs.

I honestly thought we'd seen the last of Orsi after East Fife, he should be in the Blues and McGinty category of never getting on the park again. It's an especially bad idea to put him on when we're chasing a goal and he's replacing someone who just scored their second in two games.

I thought performance wise we did good. The big difference was we were up against a team who had players who could finish in the final 3rd.

A bizarre first goal then 3 tremendous strikes finished us off. 

All we can do is keep fighting for our survival in this division and as a club

We seem to have a knack of having a great run when it's too late.  I can't see us finishing higher than 4th.  There's just not enough games left to overhaul Raith and Dundee. Especially as we've played a game more.

970212373_download(36).jpeg.d00bf310071f1fd9c7cd8b9ee444788c.jpeg

Why am I not even remotely surprised to hear clownshoe 'defender' Sean McGinty made Todorov look like a reincarnated Ján Koller for about the 17th time he's played against us. We deserve absolutely everything we get* for not just giving that haddy a new contract last July, but inexplicably making him captain of the team and an ever-present as well. 

Spoiler

relegation

7 minutes ago, virginton said:

Why am I not even remotely surprised to hear clownshoe 'defender' Sean McGinty made Todorov look like a reincarnated Ján Koller for about the 17th time he's played against us. We deserve absolutely everything we get* for not just giving that haddy a new contract last July, but inexplicably making him captain of the team and an ever-present as well. 

Reveal hidden contents

relegation

Ainsley_Harriott.jpg

Edited by RossDee01

Not too many "shroo" balls from Allan last night but he just such a quality player. Oozes class. In my dreams he helps us get promoted and then signs a 10 year deal to stay with us for the rest of his career. He is one of the best young players in Scotland after all...

2 minutes ago, RiG said:

Not too many "shroo" balls from Allan last night but he just such a quality player. Oozes class. In my dreams he helps us get promoted and then signs a 10 year deal to stay with us for the rest of his career. He is one of the best young players in Scotland after all...

It’s a joke he’s playing at this level to be honest. He was way above our level when he signed for us as a mid table premiership club.

Will Morton upload highlights of the game? On your Youtube there seems to be highlights of recent games.  The Caley uploaded just the goals on our Twitter