Airdrie v Falkirk, 7th April 2021

2 hours ago, 60`s bairn said:

I saw him in the pre-season friendlies where he got some decent service and he finished his chances well. He certainly isn`t getting that type of service now. Reminds me of the way we played to Ken Eadie after signing him from Brechin where he scored 44 goals from 89 games.

He played 52 games for us, mostly as a lone striker and managed 9 goals. He certainly didn`t look like a goal machine with us.

When he left us for Clydebank, he showed what he could do when he played in an attacking set up. Scoring 149 goals in 276 games. Still Clydebank`s record scorer.

With the majority of them against Motherwell if I remember correctly.

30 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

It's all about levels with strikers. Eadie was an excellent second tier striker but there was a huge gap between that and the premier back then.  All his goals for Clydebank and brechin were in the second tier.  McManus is the classic example. 19 in 26 for us. 7 in 22 in the championship.

As much as I’d like us to go 4-4-2 there’s not a chance I’d give either Sammon or Francis another starting 11 place. Both are fucking rotten. If Dowds misses out tomorrow I’d go with:
Mutch
Neilson McClelland Dixon Deveney
Gomis Telfer
Morrison Alston Connolly/Fotheringham
Keena
With two full backs who can actually get up and down the park we should be a lot more attacking minded allowing more support and service to Keena.
Play this team every week until the end of the season and we'll win the league comfortably.

Guest Peter LaFleur
18 minutes ago, Bairney The Dinosaur said:
2 hours ago, Peter LaFleur said:
As much as I’d like us to go 4-4-2 there’s not a chance I’d give either Sammon or Francis another starting 11 place. Both are fucking rotten. If Dowds misses out tomorrow I’d go with:
Mutch
Gomis Telfer
Keena
With two full backs who can actually get up and down the park we should be a lot more attacking minded allowing more support and service to Keena.

Play this team every week until the end of the season and we'll win the league comfortably.

You know for a fact Hall and Miller are both going to start meaning we will have no pace from full back positions to support the wingers.

Edited by Peter LaFleur

38 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

It's all about levels with strikers. Eadie was an excellent second tier striker but there was a huge gap between that and the premier back then.  All his goals for Clydebank and brechin were in the second tier.  McManus is the classic example. 19 in 26 for us. 7 in 22 in the championship.

TBF to McManus I don't think he's played much as an out and out striker at Dunfermline. He certainly played deeper against us in the cup. I think they were pinning all their hopes on O'Hara being the striker, and he's hardly been prolific either. 

12 minutes ago, ebobsboy said:

TBF to McManus I don't think he's played much as an out and out striker at Dunfermline. He certainly played deeper against us in the cup. I think they were pinning all their hopes on O'Hara being the striker, and he's hardly been prolific either. 

Yeah but his career record in league one is vastly superior to that of the championship.  39 goals in 58 games in league one.  27 in 158 in the championship. That's a massive difference.

37 minutes ago, Bairney The Dinosaur said:
2 hours ago, Peter LaFleur said:
Mutch
Gomis Telfer
Keena

Problem with one up top is we never seem to get any support to the striker no matter whose playing. Id much prefer to see us playing two strikers.

1 hour ago, ShaggerG said:

1 hour ago, 60`s bairn said:

Spot on. Seemed to be the only team he was guaranteed to score against.😂

1 hour ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Nah it was the inferior side we had in an extremely competitive SPD, that meant we had to kick scratch and bite, and had no time for such fripperies as "attacking" and "trying to score".

Dave Clarke was the pinnacle of this, of course, with 23556 consecutive 0-0 draws securing safety (along with JG @ Parkhead).

Ken Eadie was an excellent striker, he just played for us at the wrong time. Under Jim Duffy a couple of years later he would have got 40 goals a year.

I the league is your focus then a stable set up and selection has to have been the way forward. What did Dumb and Dumber do on Sunday? Change 8, formation and tactics. So by that very logic they will change at least 6 again tomorrow. Teams improve by playing with each other regularly. CH’s get understanding, so do CF’s. Right back and wide right player etc etc. Sunday was madness and IMO it will cost us.

The team I would pick from what we have available would be:

Mutch
Miller Neilson McLelland Dixon
Morrison Alston Telfer Connelly
Sammon Keena

I predict the team will be:

Mutch
Miller Hall McLelland Dixon
Alston Gomis
Morrison Leitch Fotheringham
Keena

If Kelly was fit I would be going for a back 4 of - Neilson McClelland Dixon Kelly but I think they’ll drop Hall back in and stick Dixon to left back.

Gomis, Alston and Morrison are stick ons to come back into the team possibly with Telfer.

Just win and move on to the next game plz.

If Kelly was fit I would be going for a back 4 of - Neilson McClelland Dixon Kelly but I think they’ll drop Hall back in and stick Dixon to left back.
Gomis, Alston and Morrison are stick ons to come back into the team possibly with Telfer.
Just win and move on to the next game plz.

Mclelland is left sided

I only watched the first half of the Celtic game but I'm pretty sure Mclelland is right footed so he'd be just fine playing in with Dixon. He may have played the majority of his career on the left hand side but if he's right footed he'll slot in fine on the right hand side of the two. 

3 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

For me, it`s more about the service you get. Eadie was sharp enough to have easily reached double figures in the Premier...just not with us the way we played under Clarke.

1 hour ago, badgerthewitness said:

Airdrie fans: what's the DTV set-up like, pixelot/decent commentary etc?

The picture is ok the chaps commentating do their best considering there has been very little to get excited about from the diamonds Thursdays win was fist since the win at your place.

Obviously only seen Falkirk once this season but some of the posts on here don't seem to happy when your top of the league ...... and we're no. ♦️

I've got the same level of confidence as the rest of the Falkirk fans here but there is absolutely no margin for error anymore.

The loan players have all been better than the players they've replaced in the cup games so now is the time to start them.

I will be fuming if Leitch starts again, he must be amazing in training because he shows nothing in the games.

1 hour ago, badgerthewitness said:

Airdrie fans: what's the DTV set-up like, pixelot/decent commentary etc?

It is worth having in that it has improved since the early days of following plastic bags, and staying at one end while the play is at the other. Obviously it lacks replays a la Thistle etc but it does the job-if the game is exciting (!) the commentary team are fair to both sides, with the occasional partisan exclamations, like most Home teams.