Celtic Club Cup - Scotland, Wales, Ireland Cup

I think we should have Celtic Club Cup in soccer.

I am Scottish and would love Scottish sides to have more cross-border games each year. It would also be about Scottish football helping the other Celtic nations.

UEFA have already said they do not support cross border leagues. UEFA are against a European Super League.

But UEFA do not seem to have a problem with cross border cups.

UEFA allowed the Royal League. This was an annual Scandinavian trophy that was a group stage trophy.

UEFA also allowed Scotland to have Irish, Welsh and English sides in the Scottish Challenge Cup.

UEFA allowed the Commonwealth of Independent States Cup, a club trophy played between club sides from across the former Soviet Union.

So UEFA do not seem to have a problem with cross border cups, just cross border leagues.

So this is route we should go down.

We should have a Celtic Club Cup on top of domestic league and cup football. And on top of the UEFA Champions League, the Europa League and the new Europa Conference League.

My idea would be a to have a Celtic Club Cup, involving teams from Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, the Republic of Ireland, Cornwall, the Isle of Man, and others could be added.

The populations of the initial regions would be;

The island of Ireland 6.5 million.

Scotland nearly 5.5 million.

Wales 3.1 million.

Cornwall 500,000.

Isle of Man 60,000.

That is a population of over 15 and half million people. That is a huge market for football in terms of big clubs and sides.

Perhaps even Brittany could take part. Brittany has a population of 4.5 million. Brittany sees themselves as a Celtic nation.

But my initial plan would not include Brittany.

Organization of the Celtic Club Cup.

To do this Scotland would need to have the most teams in the new cup. As Scotland would be bringing more to the table in terms of professional well supported club sides.

I would have Scotland change to 16 team Scottish Premier, with 30 league games a season.

This would free up weeks in the schedule for a new trophy.

I would support there being in the trophy;

16 teams from the new expanded Scottish Premier.

4 teams from Northern Ireland.

4 teams from Wales.

6 teams from the Republic of Ireland.

1 team from the Isle of Man.

1 team from Cornwall.

That would equal 32 teams.

I would support 8 groups of 4. With each team playing each team in their group home and away.

With two Scottish teams in each group.

The top two teams in each group qualify for the 16 team knockout stages.

The knockout stages is one leg except for the final which will be two legged.

That means a team reaching the final would play 11 more games each season.

Arguments for my idea

1) It would expand the market for Scottish clubs.

2) It would create a bigger market that could attract bigger TV deals and sponsorship deals.

3) It would mean Scottish clubs could win trophies that covers a big population. So Scottish clubs could win a bigger trophy.

4) Irish, and Welsh sides could grow from the guarantee of playing a group stage cross border trophy each year.

5) It would be a helpful gift from Scottish football to other Celtic nations at football.

6) It could attract interest from markets outside the British and Irish Isles. It could be an attractive tournament in other markets.

7) More cross border rivalry each season, would spark great banter, and intense rivalry.

Replies to criticisms of the idea;

1) Travel Would be too tough –

Well my reply to that is to look at the distances they travel in sports league in Russia, Australia, the USA, Canada, Brazil, China, India, and Indonesia. Meanwhile Scottish and Welsh teams have travelled to the far corners of Eastern Europe in UEFA trophies. So a trip around the British Isles is not too much.

Also in rugby the PRO14 had games between club sides from Italy, South Africa, Ireland, Wales and Scotland.

So I do not see a trip around these islands that tough.

2) Loss of two Old Firm derby games.

I accept that would be a loss, but this would be about expanding the Scottish system to a region of over 15 million people. We could be tripling the market of the Scottish football.

3) The other Celtic Leagues are too small to play.

But if we help them, then their leagues will improve and grow. And in the long term we can end up playing bigger sides, from big cities like Dublin and Belfast.

4) Sectarian issues;

Celtic played Linfield in recent years. Rangers play Celtic normally every year. So even Republic of Ireland club sides could cope with playing club sides from the Scottish Premier.

5) Too many games.

But we could cut the Scottish Premier to 30 games a season. So even if a team plays all the way to the final, they would still only play 41 games, compared to the 38 in the league at present. So that is just 3 more games, on top of what we have now.

6) UEFA would not allow it;

But UEFA have allowed many cross-border cups. It is cross border leagues they have a problem with, not cross border cups.

I think this would be a great cross border trophy.

Imagine games like Cork City v Aberdeen, Shamrock Rovers v Glasgow Celtic, Truro v Ross County, Dundee United v Connah’s Quay Nomads, The New Saints v Derry City, Hibernian v Linfield, Kilmarnock v Waterford, Heart of Midlothian v Dundalk, and Motherwell v St Patrick's Athletic.

It could help Celtic soccer. Which would be generous of Scottish football. And added to that, it could increase the market Scottish football is brought too. It could help the big clubs in Scotland.

Most important – The intense national and regional rivalries that would happen. It would be intense. That is what football is about.

It would mean great trips for travelling fans.

The English and bigger European nations are unlikely to have extra cross border cups with Scottish sides.

But the Celtic nations surely would help. 

Thanks.-

2 hours ago, Thistle Scotland Europe said:

I am Scottish and would love Scottish sides to have more cross-border games each year. It would also be about Scottish football helping the other Celtic nations.

UEFA have already said they do not support cross border leagues. UEFA are against a European Super League.

UEFA allowed the Royal League. This was an annual Scandinavian trophy that was a group stage trophy.

UEFA also allowed Scotland to have Irish, Welsh and English sides in the Scottish Challenge Cup.

UEFA allowed the Commonwealth of Independent States Cup, a club trophy played between club sides from across the former Soviet Union.

So UEFA do not seem to have a problem with cross border cups, just cross border leagues.

We should have a Celtic Club Cup on top of domestic league and cup football. And on top of the UEFA Champions League, the Europa League and the new Europa Conference League.

My idea would be a to have a Celtic Club Cup, involving teams from Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, the Republic of Ireland, Cornwall, the Isle of Man, and others could be added.

To do this Scotland would need to have the most teams in the new cup. As Scotland would be bringing more to the table in terms of professional well supported club sides.

I would have Scotland change to 16 team Scottish Premier, with 30 league games a season.

4 teams from Wales.

1 team from Cornwall.

I would support 8 groups of 4. With each team playing each team in their group home and away.

Arguments for my idea

2) It would create a bigger market that could attract bigger TV deals and sponsorship deals.

3) It would mean Scottish clubs could win trophies that covers a big population. So Scottish clubs could win a bigger trophy.

4) Irish, and Welsh sides could grow from the guarantee of playing a group stage cross border trophy each year.

5) It would be a helpful gift from Scottish football to other Celtic nations at football.

6) It could attract interest from markets outside the British and Irish Isles. It could be an attractive tournament in other markets.

7) More cross border rivalry each season, would spark great banter, and intense rivalry.

Well my reply to that is to look at the distances they travel in sports league in Russia, Australia, the USA, Canada, Brazil, China, India, and Indonesia. Meanwhile Scottish and Welsh teams have travelled to the far corners of Eastern Europe in UEFA trophies. So a trip around the British Isles is not too much.

Also in rugby the PRO14 had games between club sides from Italy, South Africa, Ireland, Wales and Scotland.

I accept that would be a loss, but this would be about expanding the Scottish system to a region of over 15 million people. We could be tripling the market of the Scottish football.

But if we help them, then their leagues will improve and grow. And in the long term we can end up playing bigger sides, from big cities like Dublin and Belfast.

4) Sectarian issues;

Celtic played Linfield in recent years. Rangers play Celtic normally every year. So even Republic of Ireland club sides could cope with playing club sides from the Scottish Premier.

5) Too many games.

But we could cut the Scottish Premier to 30 games a season. So even if a team plays all the way to the final, they would still only play 41 games, compared to the 38 in the league at present. So that is just 3 more games, on top of what we have now.

But UEFA have allowed many cross-border cups. It is cross border leagues they have a problem with, not cross border cups. I think this would be a great cross border trophy.

Imagine games like Cork City v Aberdeen, Shamrock Rovers v Glasgow Celtic, Truro v Ross County, Dundee United v Connah’s Quay Nomads, The New Saints v Derry City, Hibernian v Linfield, Kilmarnock v Waterford, Heart of Midlothian v Dundalk, and Motherwell v St Patrick's Athletic.

t could help Celtic soccer. Which would be generous of Scottish football. And added to that, it could increase the market Scottish football is brought too. It could help the big clubs in Scotland.

Most important – The intense national and regional rivalries that would happen. It would be intense. That is what football is about.

The English and bigger European nations are unlikely to have extra cross border cups with Scottish sides.

Thanks.-

What a pile of shite!

Imagine taking the time to write all that nonsense!

Plus your a day late.   You should have posted this on the 1st April.

Edited by Tenkay

3 minutes ago, Tenkay said:

What a pile of shite!

Imagine taking the time to write all that nonsence!

Plus your a day late.   You should have posted this on the 1st April.

I'm surprised he hasn't given some of the results...

12 hours ago, Thistle Scotland Europe said:

Really? Haven't you noticed that no-one in Scotland ever uses the term "soccer"?

13 hours ago, Thistle Scotland Europe said:

Wales 3.1 million.

Cornwall 500,000.

Isle of Man 60,000.

That is a population of over 15 and half million people. That is a huge market for football in terms of big clubs and sides.

Perhaps even Brittany could take part. Brittany has a population of 4.5 million. Brittany sees themselves as a Celtic nation.

4 teams from Wales.

1 team from Cornwall.

Arguments for my idea

4) Sectarian issues;

5) Too many games.

But UEFA have allowed many cross-border cups. It is cross border leagues they have a problem with, not cross border cups.

It could help Celtic soccer. Which would be generous of Scottish football. And added to that, it could increase the market Scottish football is brought too. It could help the big clubs in Scotland.

Thanks.-

Do you have a rare eye condition?

2 hours ago, Stag Nation said:

Really? Haven't you noticed that no-one in Scotland ever uses the term "soccer"?

They do when publishing programmes. I'm currently reading the programme for Queen's Park v Aberdeen 8th December 1956, and I quote - "There are good judges who say Alec (Glen) will at least equal his elder brother (Archie) in soccer eminence..."

15 hours ago, Thistle Scotland Europe said:

Wales 3.1 million.

Cornwall 500,000.

Isle of Man 60,000.

4 teams from Wales.

1 team from Cornwall.

Arguments for my idea

4) Sectarian issues;

5) Too many games.

Thanks.-

I assume this was supposed to have been posted on Thursday

Wouldn’t work, the Scottish teams would absolutely dominate it every season. Wales And Northern Ireland’s top clubs are SPFL Championship level as shown by their performance in the Challenge cup where only the financially doped The New Saints have done anything. ROI aren’t much better as most Irish watch EPL and SPFL (Celtic). IOM offer absolutely nothing that could compete and Cornwall don’t even have a league team think their best is about tier 7. Basically while the SPFL is poor it would absolutely hose the other Celtic Nations. The only benefit of the idea is the same as English, Irish and Welsh teams in the Challenge Cup, it’s a nice away day.

1 hour ago, San Starko Rover said:

Wales And Northern Ireland’s top clubs are SPFL Championship level as shown by their performance in the Challenge cup where only the financially doped The New Saints have done anything.

Connah's Quay Nomads contested a final and would knock Kilmarnock out of Europe the following season.

58 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Connah's Quay Nomads contested a final and would knock Kilmarnock out of Europe the following season.

On their way to the final, they played Ray McKinnon's Falkirk, Coleraine, Queens Park and Edinburgh City. I wouldn't say that shows that they're a particularly good side.

And Thistle played them the season they beat Kilmarnock, and I've got no idea how they managed it. They were an absolutely dreadful side, comfortably beaten by a team hurtling full pelt towards relegation from the Championship. 

4 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

They do when publishing programmes. I'm currently reading the programme for Queen's Park v Aberdeen 8th December 1956, and I quote - "There are good judges who say Alec (Glen) will at least equal his elder brother (Archie) in soccer eminence..."

It's a fair cop. But I would point out

1.  That's so long ago that QP were in the top division, and

2.  Queen's have always been known for quirkiness.

47 minutes ago, Stag Nation said:

It's a fair cop. But I would point out

1.  That's so long ago that QP were in the top division, and

2.  Queen's have always been known for quirkiness.

I could give you a lot more examples from Scottish programmes a lot more recent than that, but you are correct on both points.

ETA: I, too, thought it was an English "thing" re "soccer", but it's amazing the number of times it crops up in Scottish football programmes. However, I very much doubt any Scots ever say "soccer".

Edited by Jacksgranda

So we’re agreed a Championship level side then? They beat Kilmarnock but was it a dominant performance or an underdog having its day? Connah’s Quay wouldn’t win our Championship and I’d happily put money on that.

29 minutes ago, San Starko Rover said:

So we’re agreed a Championship level side then? They beat Kilmarnock but was it a dominant performance or an underdog having its day? Connah’s Quay wouldn’t win our Championship and I’d happily put money on that.

My main point was actually over the New Saints being the only one to have done anything in the Challenge Cup. Since my only abiding memory of the New Saints was getting knocked out by Dumbarton on their way to the first meaningful final in decades.

Overall, Championship level is pretty meaningless in a cup competition. One off games in a diddy cup would see non-Scottish clubs pick up wins against Premiership sides.